New powers...Weak and lacking imagination.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GregDawe, Aug 15, 2014.

1. GregDawe New Player

I wasn't using this thread as a "why not lantern" cry, more of a "why these specifically" cry.

I want hope too, but I know rage is too recent for that.

I personally want water next.
    PS3 can't handle it? good, then **** it off already.
    • Like x 3
  2. SkullGang Devoted Player

I've always wanted a power that was based on pure physical strength. Even if it is serum based I still prefer this than your standard power types.
    • Like x 5
  3. GregDawe New Player

Is "serums" or "steriods" the best way for that?
    I am VERY sceptical.
    • Like x 2
  4. SkullGang Devoted Player

Not the best way at all. I would have preferred it to be Kryptonian strength based but if this is the closest we can get to it I don't mind. Overall I just want to be able to do damage with my bare hands and not have it be iconic and weak.
    • Like x 3
  5. Rhinosus13 Loyal Player

They said for Serum that it was based on Bane but to also think of people like Elongated Man...........js
  6. GregDawe New Player

That is mostly my point for Serums.
    It isn't a POWER.
    It is a synthetic enhancement.
    One that could have easily been called "super strength", you know, like a super human rather than a junkie?
    • Like x 2
  7. Little Sister New Player

Maybe Shadow and Water are on their list for later. We really don't know. Maybe they are too hard for PS3 and they are waiting to release those powers once they finally drop PS3 (which should make you more happy lol). Spytle said in the Keynote that the team was able to free up more space on PS3, which is probably the only way they can add these powers.
    • Like x 6
  8. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Meh, all I know about the power sets is a rough concept of what they might be like. I won't judge them until I know more about them.

I'm intrigued. Especially about the serums one as it's inspired by Bane.

One thing to take into consideration is that they're using resources that shouldn't be there. They've optimised the game so the PS3 can handle them. They're on borrowed resources, basically. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the effects were just recycled from existing effects, especially when you look at how 2 of the power sets don't call for much in the way of visuals and the 3rd one (Atomic) already has some assets in the game.

Bottom line is, we shouldn't be getting these power sets. You can't really expect miracles on a game which is supported on an almost decade old console.
    • Like x 7
  9. Owl Devoted Player

I believe these 3 powers have been used by NPCs since the game was in Beta.

Note this post on Gamefaq from Jan 16 2011:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/950872-dc-universe-online/57829844

I suspect Munitions is the former Ballistics set and Serums is the former Shape Change set.
    If so, then the development team are opening up existing power sets to players that have been used by NPCs since Beta.

Note the above post from Jan 2011 was before Light was released in Sept 2011, Electricity in Dec 2011 and Earth in Mar 2012.
    • Like x 5
  10. GregDawe New Player

That is all well and good, but to me it sounds like they are keeping a terminal person on life support, and "freeing more space" is saying, hey, we just saved up for the next power bill, so the life support can stay on, even though it is costing so much that the hospital is going bust.
    • Like x 2
  11. Horrorshow New Player

I think you need to stop crying and be happy we are getting new powers at all. On top of that, Jens never said a Hope and Water power was not going to happen. Sure Jens said it would be hard to do a Water powerset, but you can blame the PS3 for that. You want more powers and content in the game? Tell the PS3 users to switch to PS4 and stop holding the game back. Sorry to be the barrier of bad news but the PS3 is definitely holding this game back. The Developers see it. The community sees it, yet they blame the Developers for not having these sought after powers. It is because of the PS3 console and the limited space and graphics it has. Do not cry over spilled milk when the community is not willing to adapt with the game. If there was more sales on the PS4 end, maybe the Developers and SOE would finally be done with supporting the PS3. Blame the community for continuing to support a dying console as opposed to the Development team that is trying to please three different platforms. The Development team is working within whatever perimeters they have to create new content for us.
    • Like x 7
  12. GregDawe New Player

Case and point.
    Paying customers told they can have home brand ice cream because the freezer is too full for the good stuff.
    And they are refilling the space they freed up with more home brand.
    • Like x 1
  13. Ice Clown New Player

I always thought shape change was going to be something like beast boy
  14. Ice Clown New Player

^true
  15. GregDawe New Player

And that there is something I would get excited about.
    However, I don't see how it would interact with it's surroundings for DD or supp.
    Maybe a tank role kind of thing? I don't know.
    • Like x 1
  16. Ice Clown New Player

by interact u mean power interaction? if it is, then do daze interaction
  17. GregDawe New Player

Yeah.
    Whats daze interaction?

I am thinking beast boy/mystique style, but I guess you could go mr fantastic style too for interaction. or full spastic and actually turn yourself into a gun? haha
  18. Pandora Demon New Player

Munitions can mean anything used in War. This could mean multiple green lantern rings, A True Venom boost, minions, Turret Placing, Shields, Medi-Pacs, Cars, Animals, and anything you can get into a war. So, there is more room for creativity for a munitions power; It could basically have everything in the DC Universe.
    • Like x 1
  19. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I agree and I'm about as anti-PS3 version as they come but the people who make the decisions aren't. So I guess the options are simpler power sets that aren't visual effect heavy whilst we wait for them to finally take the shackles off. put that horrible, ancient piece of technology to bed and hopefully one day deliver on some proper, very cool looking super powers.

The alternative is we just wait until an unknown date for them to finally drop the PS3 and get nothing in the way of powersets.

I know I'd rather wait for Water, Stretch, Hope, Shadow etc. powers and for them to get the proper treatment they deserve when the time is right than have a half-arsed, poor looking version that has to be the way it is because the PS3 is still a thing.
    • Like x 2
  20. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Thomas Wayne uses miraclo