Update: Marks of Power

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

This thread is no longer up to date. Please see this new thread for the latest!

Hi all,

We would like to clarify some of the mark-related confusion from our latest update on PC Test. We have decided to introduce a new mark for Halls of Power Part I, called Marks of Power, and we will be returning to unique marks for each DLC in the latest tier.

Why? One of the consequences of filling our DLCs and tiers with more content going forward is that so many more marks will be able to be earned so much quicker in tier 6 compared to earlier tiers, and especially late in the tier, if all of those DLCs were to share a common mark. It is intended that a certain amount of effort and time go into unlocking each DLC's gear - the progression should be meaningful - and to maintain that depth of play, we were faced with essentially two options: inflate how many marks that gear costs in each DLC, or reintroduce unique marks per DLC.

We did not choose to inflate costs, because it would significantly impact the small group and less frequent players, those who play less 8-player content or play less over all. By the last DLC in a tier, the costs would have grown so much they would have mountains to climb compared to what they earn.

On the other hand, a unique mark does not extend playtime, and merely ensures players are playing the content in a DLC to earn that DLC's rewards, which we believe is reasonable and even ideal.

Specifically for tier 6, this means each DLC pack (Amazon Fury Part I, Halls of Power Part I, War of the Light Part II, and Amazon Fury Part II) will have a unique mark. To earn the gear specific to any DLC will require you to play that DLC's content and use that DLC's mark. At the end of the tier, all four tier 6 marks will convert to triumph at the same rate, and we'll begin again with the next tier's unique marks.

We will also keep marks from previous DLCs in a tier useful by setting up vendors that allow you to purchase common items, like the tier's consumables, as well as styles from each of the DLCs. Using mark conversion tokens, this will allow you to use marks from any DLC in the latest tier to purchase useful items, but narrows gear acquisition to the marks specific to each DLC.

If we haven't answered your questions or if you have feedback, please leave both constructively below in this thread and we'll review on Monday.
    • Like x 18
  2. DEMONIZER1 Loyal Player

I get it!

Sad thing is most here do not, Thanks for the clarification.

IA ARMY
    • Like x 8
  3. WalterlightOmega Committed Player

so your running each mark type in a tier concurrently?
  4. GammaGreenLantern New Player

Okay you devs need to make a choice here....you say that you're designing the next DLC so that the best gear drops in raids. Your main reasoning being that people could run easier content in AF and buy the best gear, BUT with you new marks system this would not be possible anyways.

If you are going to implement this "new marks with each new DLC" system, then you need to have it so that the BEST gear can be bought at the vendor with the new marks.....
    • Like x 21
  5. HarryHell Well-Known Player

" Using mark conversion tokens, this will allow you to use marks from any DLC in the latest tier to purchase useful items, but narrows gear acquisition to the marks specific to each DLC."

Will this mean that u can convert "Marks of Fury" to "Marks of Power"? And will there be a conversion fee? Like 5 MoF to 1 MoP?
    • Like x 2
  6. Radium Devoted Player

I can the the reason with the amount of content being the issue.

By the next DLC we'll have 3 Raids, 3 Alerts, 2 Duos, and 3 daily OW missions. Thats only halfway through the tier so far with 2 more to go, essentially doubling the content.

I think this should have been explained out before something decided to leak on test though to prevent the confusion that happened.
    • Like x 17
  7. Sore Steadfast Player

Personally, I'd prefer if pairings of SMALL GROUP + LARGE GROUP DLCs shared the same mark rather than every DLC. Right now, a unique mark for DLC 11 means that there's no duos or solos available to earn towards that gear. In my opinion, that hurts a small group (or less frequent) player more than even escalating mark costs would have.
    • Like x 95
  8. Echephyle New Player

My issue with this is that the replay value of older content goes out the window. In t5, we had many options for gaining marks. I enjoyed playing all of the trigon content, all of the orign crisis ops and raids and the wotl ops. This new change means that I can no longer run open world solos and duos to get the new gear. Amazon fury content will no longer be played once HOP1 comes out. Once all the feats are done, there is no reason to play it anymore.

I don't agree with this change at all.
    • Like x 52
  9. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Makes sense I suppose. I wish we were warned in advance about this change though. Some people in my league already decided to save marks for the new dlc.....
    • Like x 3
  10. Moneybags118 New Player

If you are going to have separate marks then I highly recommend you consider forsaking the current system entirely. Remember how we used to have all the different marks (Krypton, War, etc) but each mark was for one tier. The way you are doing it now is quite frankly foolish, there are multiple marks for the same tier. If you are going to change marks then I think the CR requirement should be changed from 100 to 104. This means people will have to play AF content to get to HoP content. It makes more sense and gives people more to do. If you do not do this then AF will be completely skipped and pretty much forgotten. And I would hate to see that happen to something I know you guys worked hard on.

So yeah I really think you should consider making AF a requirement. All you'd have to do is bump up the CR requirement for HoP to where people need AF gear to get in. Otherwise I can't see why anyone would play AF content anymore.
    • Like x 31
  11. Del Maestro Well-Known Player

The only problem I have with this is there is very little incentive to run Amazonian fury anymore. I guess it's time to really focus on pvp, until the dlc comes out
    • Like x 4
  12. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Nice! I like that!

Btw.: When will you fix the T5 gear progression?
    • Like x 1
  13. CaZaNoVa New Player

For the sake of DLCs, I agree with Moneybags.

Does this change the roadmap looking forward to anything that will switch over to MoT like previous content? For example, WoTL2 releases, will (or should) the Marks for HoP switch to MoT or remain the same (MoP)?
    • Like x 2
  14. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Sounds reasonable, this way theres no building up marks before DLC releases, unless you wanna do it 3 DLCs ahead ofc.
    I especially like the part where we now know Tier 7 starts once Halls of Power Part II releases considering the last DLC to count in your T6 list is Amazon Fury Part II :)
    • Like x 2
  15. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

this is awesome news! Good thing I didn't jump the gun and started blaming you guys :p
    • Like x 1
  16. Sivulla Dedicated Player

At what CR does promethium boxes drop Marks of Power then?
    • Like x 2
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

No, you cannot convert upwards. You cannot convert Fury into Power.
    • Like x 1
  18. TrueOlympus New Player

I'm so glad I read this post before i started my angry rant. +1 to this idea and statement

To Devs:

I LIKE having variety. This DLC(HoP) having no small content would have made it essentially the same-ish format to Origin Crisis. All raid and alerts. And too this very day, I can't stand BIA and FAM due to the grind I suffered during that era. Your current plan hurts small content players more than the option you debated. Sore's plan is ideal
    • Like x 38
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

No change there. We'll convert all Tier 6 DLC marks to Triumph when Tier 7 launches. We still plan four DLCs per tier.
    • Like x 2
  20. Ogreboy Active Player

This is silly... Originally getting rid of Krypton and Distinction (etc) made sense because it encouraged people to do all the content and then spend it towards the goal they chose... Now there's zero incentive other than just being a buddy to help someone with an alert/raid/operation that you have all the feats for. If AF2 isn't out yet, and I have all the AF1 feats, what's my motivation to cap out MoF? It's a silly implementation because SURE I can go back and downgrade them to MoT's... But why not just give me MoT's in the first place?

You did away with the marks to encourage grouping... You're saying that doesn't need to be encouraged anymore?
    • Like x 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.