New 52 wins!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Mathalos, Jun 20, 2014.

1. SupesIsBestHero New Player

What a surprise
  2. Shadowwyvern Committed Player

At least I can save my marks, as I already have Future Batman.
  3. DCFanatical Dedicated Player

If I was totally honest, I don't really like either. Now some of my dislike of Nu52 might be my general dislike of Nu52 in general and my rather large hatred of some of the decision's DC has made with regards to it (the "No Marriage" rule being part of it).

In any care, I voted Nu52 because it is the closest thing to "Batman" as I know as see him. A black/grey batman is the Batman that I know and see as "Batman". So I have always wanted THAT as a Legends Batman. Currently Nu52 was the only option and that is what I went with.

Now, maybe we will get another Grey/Black Batman (there is suppose to be another skin release in addition to the other 2 we are getting) and that will influence what I do. And probably would have influence my vote, but I had to go with what I know.
  4. Archangel Rafael New Player

The thing that bothers me is that I am once again reminded how thinly comic-related this game is at times and how much of the playerbase doesn't really give a damn about comics.

There are many little things that bug me about this game in this way. I came here to play a game about comic book heroes. That's the most important thing to me. Doesn't seem unreasonable for a game with "DC" in the title. The reality of the game sometimes falls quite short of the expectation.

It's not that the costume bother me that much. It's that the crap52 bothers me that much and the fact that the "majority" of the playerbase has so little interest in comics. I wish this was a place full of comic book fans and really, it's not.

The DCUO community seems to me to have become mostly populated with 17 yo playstation kids who think characters should have unlimited colors in their costumes; people that are mmorpg players rather than comic book readers.

They gave two choices and the majority picked the one that represents everything I dislike about the whole situation. It's a reminder of who thinly comic-related this game is at times and how the "community" doesn't really care.

Then here comes the "where is the rest of the 52?" posts. DCUO becoming crap52 online is the one way to get me, a guy who has supported this game since alpha development, to hate this game.

• Like x 2
  5. BlackWingBeyond Committed Player

This isn't really a fair critique against the New 52, Catwoman by Ann Nocenti is just a terrible piece of work in general. New 52 isn't particularly bad, it just suffers from bad writers who can't utilize the material.

I felt the same way. New 52 Batman is just a black and grey Batsuit without the undies (which I personally liked, I felt that it broke up the monotony in an all gray suit) and with some extra lines.
    • Like x 1
  6. Archangel Rafael New Player

The Catwoman book is endemic of the whole new52. Here's a critique of something non-bat-related. As somebody said, the 52 batsuit is one of the least offensive of the 53 suits but it's still crappy. And here's a general critique of the whole 52.

The "undies" look has a purpose. there's a reason it's been in comics for so long. The undies inform definition of form and anatomy in all the crazy poses comic characters display. Without them, on a comic page, in certain positions the whole abdominal area becomes a kind of indiscenrnable morass of generic color. This is why pretty much all comic suits have something going on through the waistline.

Lee is a master at drawing around his weaknesses (female hips for one). He's restricts the poses he uses to hide the weaknesses and play to the strengths. So he can do that with these 52suits. It's still bad design even if he manages to make it look good in limited exposures.

also those stupidasss piping lines he put all over everything are nothing more than a ridiculous way for him to put a signature on all this.

There's an old adage in comic suit design that says "the less a character wears, the more powerful they seem to the reader". All these crap52 designs have bulked up the spandex making the characters look so much less super.
    • Like x 1
  7. MercPony Devoted Player

I only call it a classic because I just have a feeling it was mostly kids that voted for New 52 lol The picture used in the poll had an "old" look to it.
  8. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

Hopefully we will get a new Crisis next year that does away with alot of the new 52 stuff so we can get back the JSA a decent Teen Titans a new Young Justice and the return of the Legion of Superheroes .
  9. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I wanted troika because its so different from what we have in game right now, but I like the new 52 suit more then any other batsuit. My only issue is that it looks just like the pre-order batman with a black cowl and cape.

I wanted something fresh. Long eared, yellow symbol, all black batman would have been that.
    • Like x 2
  10. Tye Hailstorm Well-Known Player

Well I personally enjoy the New 52 as well as the pre 52 post Crisis books, I am an avid reader of comics though since Nightwing is my favorite comic book character I do feel like they Destroyed his Image with the whole "Grayson" Book thing buts thats a singular issue of mine most other books i have (Batgirl, Batman &, Action Comics, Superman & Wonder Woman, Batman & Superman ect.) Are all living up to what i would expect from DC

The New Costume choices play well into the new era of Super Hero's Spandex is Something that a Much OLDER generation would want back more but with me being in my early twenties and having to back collect all of my comics and then catch up to the entire universe already built it would mean thousands of dollars if i want the entire story as it happened in physical comic book form. But this new Era of Designs works well. Lets be honest Batman a Human Crime fighter using spandex to battle against super villains seems a bit dated so upgrading to an Armor Like material with more modern looks is ok. same for superman, Yeah ok Ma Kent didnt stitch it for him but...It doesnt change the fact he is superman or loves them any less. Let his New suit be Kryptonian Tech. Wonderwoman Let it be Amazonian Material. Flash? Friction resistant Material. Just let it be.

Also the whole "Less they wear the more powerful they are" seems to come from a more Japanese Style of Drawing and clothing, as (Yes i play JRPG's and watch Anime) I see more of "The less clothing So and s wear's the more godlike they actually are.."
    • Like x 1
  11. Archangel Rafael New Player

everything you just wrote was exactly what they said in the 90s image era. It was bad then and it's bad now. Stick around. The crap52 will die the exact same death image comics did. We're about 1/2 way to the end now.

Comics run in cycles. An era of sensationalist tripe that attracts the newbs is followed by an era of rennesiance and getting back to quality stories as the newly interested newbs mature as readers and demand quality books. It doesn't take very long. Usually 3-5 years. Those of us who have been around the block have seen this phase before.

Another old comic adage for ya: "Art sells copies. Stories sell subscriptions"
  12. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I think before we get a reskin of Superman the developers should first make a version of Superman for legends that is actually halfway decent.

I personally would have liked the Animated Series version more, but then again that's very similar to what we've got now.
    • Like x 3
  13. BumblingB I got better.

Choice between bad and horrible... yay?
    • Like x 1
  14. Pingvinozavr Dedicated Player

That is kinda one of the points for me voting for New 52 - Devs said that pre-order Batman will never gonna be available so New 52 will probably be the closest thing we get instead.
    • Like x 1
  15. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Yes. There really are.

Try out Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Batman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman for starters.

Here's the thing - throughout all comic history, all publishers have been pushing out good stuff and bad stuff at the same time. Pick an era. Sure, in the mid-80's DC was publishing epics like The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, but they were also putting out stuff like McFarlane's 'Batman: Year Two.'

Heck, even Jim Shooter has put out dreck in his lifetime (see: Defiant Comics and his Legion run a few years ago).

I'm not a big fan of everything from The New 52 (for instance, Teen Titans is the worst it has been in 40 years), but don't throw out the good with the bad. :)
    • Like x 3
  16. Emerald Knight Well-Known Player

I actually like most of the New 52 costumes, and some of the stories that have came out since the reboot have been fairly good and on the other hand some haven't. Personally I think the DC universe should change along with the world that it is been created by.
  17. Zenith Well-Known Player

Shame about Troika but I don't mind the New 52 costume.
    I wonder if the Batman anniversary celebrations in DCUO are confined to just legends skins...
    Troika style in lockboxes perhaps? I'd be ok with it not having the emblem as long as it had the cowl.:D

[IMG]
  18. BumblingB I got better.

Animal Man and Swamp Thing were well designed, but Animal Man is over.
    Wonder Woman is good, but not my cup of tea.
    Green Lantern p'd me off pretty big time. It was excluded from the reboot.
    Batman... Don't get me started. I'll just say, the timeline on it doesn't have any cohesion.

That is to say, DC Nu52 didn't have some good in it... I liked Red Lanterns up until Rankor, then it was bad up until Geoff Johns left and got good again. New Gaurdians has some good and some bad... But who am I kidding, anything that was remotely good got cancelled already. With recent stories going on, it kind of feels that they are even abandoning it. I hope they will go back to pre52, but I doubt it. :(
    • Like x 1
  19. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

Yay new 52! now i can have a Batman that looks like the Pre-order batman Batman !
  20. Larfleeze New Player