Dont expect a DCUO funeral anytime soon.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by TheBirdOfSteel, May 8, 2014.

1. TheBirdOfSteel Committed Player

For those saying Elder Scrolls Online will kill and bury DCUO.

Its been delayed for 6 months on console. :eek:

Giving SOE more breathing space for at least 1 more DLC to make sure anyone looking to leave know why they are here. ;)

For any console players who dont want to wait , you can buy the PC version and transfer your character to console later down the line.

So has this hampered anyones plans to jump ship?

Official Bethesda blog
  2. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

And probably another 6-12 months before it's usable.
    • Like x 8
  3. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

Wait, don't we have another thread about this?

AT least that one had a funny video review of it. ;)
    • Like x 3
  4. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I wasn't planning on jumping ship anyways even though I'm on Pc. Forced subscription fees give me a rash.
    • Like x 1
  5. Tskales Well-Known Player

Assuming ESO doesn't crash and burn, or people realise they can get the same or better fantasy MMO experience elsewhere for free.
    • Like x 1
  6. Feenicks New Player

ESO? Phfffft!
    • Like x 3
  7. DoctorSyndrome Dedicated Player

ESO sucks, I will never get the chance to kill DCUO.
    • Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Given the number of games that have come and gone that were supposed to be the death knell of DCUO (or other MMOs that I've played), I wasn't expecting any sort of funeral any time soon in the first place.

However, I'd be a liar if I said I didn't get at least a good chuckle at reading the announcement while also thinking of those who had more or less said, "Goodbye DCUO when ESO comes out for the consoles!" or other similar sentiments. :D
    • Like x 5
  9. Drakonicus New Player

Box price + forced sub = Big rash.
    • Like x 4
  10. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

The box price has actually been giving me hives for a bit now.
    • Like x 3
  11. TheHeartbreakkid New Player

Well that stinks. I'll still play it whenever it drops though. When games delay it isn't exactly news, but whatever. Af1 has been pretty neat, and with the money I prepaid my eso game I will get it back and buy something else on ps4 to pass the time.
  12. Drakonicus New Player

Hate that combo. Not against a sub, but a sub and a box price ? Can somebody smarter then me explain what is that i am paying $60 ? The privilege of paying more money ?
    • Like x 2
  13. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

You'll probably like this. It answers your question:

EDIT: This is actually part of the reason I won't be getting ESO.
    • Like x 1
  14. Chungweishan New Player

http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-Online-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K898

Still $10 ($39.99 savings!) for the PS3 Disc, just in case you don't get rashes.
    ----
    Plenty of games start out that way, then eventually make their way into the F2P Realm. Usually accompanied by "veteran" players (often noting they were around "since Beta") complaining how things were better before F2P.

Nowadays I can see why this is frowned upon because of the amount of F2P MMO games out already. Obviously they need to recoup all the development costs as quickly as possible, before settling on a nickle-and-dime marketplace trickle F2P income system. Fortunately, there are players out there willing to pay Box+Sub or Sub+Replay Badges or Separate DLCs+RB+Lottery Aura Packages+Marketplace Items. It's only money, right?
    ----

I won't be playing ESO.
    • Like x 1
  15. Owl Devoted Player

• Like x 5
  16. Breakforce Loyal Player

What's the over/under on ESO being F2P by the time the console version drops?
  17. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

No dates mentioned here, but it could be interesting. And I think it depends how big the console crowd ends up being honestly.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/el...ntually-be-free-to-play-analyst/1100-6375882/

No, it's honestly just a company being greedy. DCUO was more expensive than SOE anticipated and going free to play with different levels of subscriptions is actually what ended up bringing in the bulk of their money.
  18. Drakonicus New Player

Oh, i get why they charging me that. I just dont see why i should pay for it. That $60 ? I could spend on a AAA game, or 2 months on another mmo. I loved Wildstar. But i will just wait until that box price gets down to about $20, or the game comes to steam.
  19. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Not sure where you're getting opinions from there actually. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and to hold to that opinion... Except when it is actually capable of being proven wrong through about 5 minutes on google. There have been documented cases, such as dcuo and Star Wars: The Old Republic upon going free to play showing big revenue for the game.

DCUO free to play statistics as well as another source saying it had absolutely nothing to do with subscription numbers.

http://www.zergadins.com/?p=291

http://kotaku.com/5861546/what-difference-did-going-free-to-play-make-for-dc-universe-online

DCUO went free to play to better cover development costs.

Take the coy attitude elsewhere.

EDIT: Here's a better source in place of the first one for why the game went free to play.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/19/dc-universe-online-is-going-free-to-play-next-month/
    • Like x 1
  20. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Prior to GTA coming out I remember a series of threads condescending to the devs that told them they should watch carefully, and see how real professionals put out an MMO. I can't tell you the number of guffaws I let out when I started reading the reviews that GTA was glitched beyond playability.