Seriously what is the problem!?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by TheBirdOfSteel, Apr 15, 2014.

1. TheBirdOfSteel Committed Player

Im watching Arrow (DC Tv show based on Green Arrow) and i need to know why there isnt any DCUO advertisement/tie ins .

Imagine SOE add Green Arrow to the ingame legends roster and then at the end of an episode of Arrow or during commercial break it says something like

"PLAY AS GREEN ARROW OR ONE OF THE MANY OTHER DC COMIC LEGENDS TODAY IN DC UNIVERSE ONLINE! OR CREATE YOUR OWN HERO AND USE YOUR OWN BRAND OF VIGILANTE JUSTICE TO TAKEDOWN VILLIANS!"

and it shows DCUO footage.

BOOM

More potential customers. Right?

Why hasnt DCUO got any advertising or tie ins with ANY DC products , theres so many films , cartoons , dvd movies that are just missed opportunities for DCUO to get advertised in some way.

Is it DC comics or SOE not making this happen?

DCUO is THE official and ONLY DC MMO on the current market why arent DC comics making these connections happen!? Advertising means more customers , meaning more money. Is that not the point?

Anyone in the advertising industry or with knowledge please chime in with what you think could be stopping this.

Thanks
    • Like x 7
  2. KrimsonScourge New Player

DC hates the idea of making money?
  3. TheBirdOfSteel Committed Player

There must be something stopping them bring able to advertise dcuo. Some legal reasons. Although im not sure why mepps cant chime in as ive never seen him comment on why dcuo hasnt got any tie ins.
  4. nowburn4it Loyal Player

I've been wondered this, too. There was a special about comic books and all comic related things on PBS semi-recently. They talked about the Batman, Arkham games, but all DCUO got was a character building screen shot in the background for about three seconds...If I didn't play the game I wouldn't know what I was looking at.
  5. daplatobah New Player

Warner Bros
  6. TheBirdOfSteel Committed Player

Ive seen some really poor games get tv time. You wouldnt think this game has the backing of Sony and dc.
  7. ncgreenlantern Loyal Player

Well in all honesty the would be able to give away all the dlc's if the put Green Arrow and Deathstroke in legends for 10 bucks and and still have money for strippers .
    • Like x 1
  8. Rassophore New Player

Can we now?
    • Like x 1
  9. KrimsonScourge New Player

You can watch Green Lantern poke fun at how judgemental he is while he gets possessed by the Spectre. Close enough right?
  10. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Just to get all of you in on this:

Warner Brothers does not own the entirety of the CW. They only own half of it. The other half is owned by CBS, so there could be conflicting issues between the two companies as to advertisements.

Something that could also be part of the reason for the lack of advertisements is that DCUO is not a triple A game that requires huge launch sales to be considered successful. It has been out for a very long time now and relies on spreading through word of mouth at this point. When was the last time in general you saw an advertisement for this game at all?

If you take note the developers, unless it is someone who is well known for their acting with a certain character (Think Kevin Conroy as Batman or Mark Hamill as The Joker) mostly rely on local talent. So keep in mind it simply may not be in the games budget to sponsor advertisements for this game at this point.

Even though I posted this below I can still edit this so it might be a good idea to post it here to back my points up.

• Like x 3
  11. KrimsonScourge New Player

And knowing is half the battle!
    • Like x 1
  12. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

So now what...? /thread I suppose.

/thread
  13. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Just to back this bit up...

14. MrMigraine Devoted Player

To be fair, I don't see a lot of advertisements for other three-year+ old games either.

I get the feeling that Marketing thinks that it's just not money well-spent.
    • Like x 3
  15. Breakforce Loyal Player

I do remember seeing ads in DC comics around release. Maybe that is something that could be feasible again.

TV ad campaigns, especially if you are going to make it a national one, are pricey. The marketing department would be blowing their whole wad on one move, and you'd have to bank on a huge payoff from that. And just because it is an associated brand (Arrow) and company (the CW), doesn't mean they get a free ride on that. If they give DCUO a free 30 second spot, it means they aren't giving it to a paying customer, and someone is having to bite that bullet.

Targeted ads on gaming/comics websites are probably a better ROI for them. Plus you know that your target audience is the one seeing it. There are probably alot of people watching Arrow, that have no clue it is DC comics. My mother didn't know until I told her.
    • Like x 1
  16. Weapon meX New Player

It may be licensing issues. Also since SOE has a license for DCUO, it would fall on their shoulders to promote such in accordance to their license. This primarily falls on the shoulders of Warner Bros, it's up to them to make sure they grant and give licensees the proper pushes and permissions to maximize potential revenues for their franchises.

It would make sense to cross promote and garner the attention towards their franchises.

Maybe they do not see justification for further promoting DCUO during DC related show's commercial breaks.

I remember when Man of Steel came out, i thought similarly, " maybe we will get a Russell Crowe looking Jor-El update in-game to help promote the film"

Another thing to consider is that DCUO without cross promotion is already making money, they are a success all on their own.
    Cross promotion has the "potential" to bring in more money but it also has the potential to vaguely affect any revenue already being gained, which would equate in the later form as a waste of resources.
  17. Rassophore New Player

I'm just now reading some of the "New 52" stuff, and was shocked to see an ad for DCUO. I was disappointed at the ad (I don't believe it did justice to this game), but still impressed to have seen it at all.
    I spent waaaaay to much time playing SOE's SWG, and found out about that game while reading some webpage about Start Wars - I saw a an ad on the page and clicked then link....years later I had spent a crapton of money on my five (yeah, I had issues) accounts all because I stumbled on an ad while reading up on some obscure character I heard about while reading the Star Wars novels.
    • Like x 1
  18. Mr.Me New Player

There is a simple reason you don't see ads for DC on arrow or in movies. Its because the companies making those products pay DC for the rights to license those Intellectual properties. If DCUO wanted to advertise with them they could pay for ad time like everyone else.

Its just like this game is a sony product with DC licensing, its not an actual DC product though. If all these things where DC products only, then I'm sure they would advertise them all together, but why would a third party just give away ad time when they have to pay Licensing fee ect?
    • Like x 3
  19. TheBirdOfSteel Committed Player

Some great and enlightening responses. Thanks guys!
    • Like x 3
  20. Mont New Player

DC to broke to pay CW any extra $ cause no movie sales