Role viewpoints

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Celestial Demon, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

This kinda bugs me beyond belief and it rolls its head around everytime I read a thread that mentions it within a reply like a creepy game I can't remember the name of.

Apparently the current rumor/stereotype is support roles are looking for more teamwork in content while dps are more scoreboard chasing and (taken from the most recent thread I read) "manhood measuring" between the 4-6 dps in a group.

First off, what do numbers mean in an instance so long as you finish the thing?? Does anyone really care so much as to who hit harder?? o_O

Second, why is there a lack of teamwork in the game nowadays? Everything is burn burn burn, we need more burn, kick that guy, he's not burning fast enough, "HA! I got top on the scoreboard sukaz!!" Not once have I ever seen anything like that before T4/5 came out x_x. It used to be "Nice job guys, we did it! Let's see how we can improve next time."

Anyone know where the game and community took a wrong turn towards cynicalism and so much time spent on figuring out how to rush through content instead of taking time and having fun learning and testing each others limits? Wipe or no wipe?? It's almost like being on a hostile planet when you can get bullied and kicked just cause you didn't live up to something that wasn't even an issue before.
    • Like x 7
  2. Rasta Committed Player

People were acting like this long before T4/T5.

I HATE when players kick one another to get one of their friends/better player in because I was once that inexperienced player a year and a half ago. The only way to get better is to learn inside the content and many cannot understand that

Everyone has become incredibly impatient and rude and that's unfortunate for me and a lot of others who love this game.
    • Like x 8
  3. KeyuBaN New Player

you're absolutely right. All people want most of the time is burn and trolls. Most of the time, healers and tanks can solo, but this makes a problem for the other healers/tanks that NEED to get gear too. If we're not giving these people a chance, then they can't get stronger to get to the point of being able to solo as most people wish!

Bottom line though, as long as the raid is close to evened up (2 hlrs, 2 trolls, 2 tanks, 2 dps), you can get through any raid with ease. Having people solo is a risk, but with all the extra burn, the raid usually goes by a lot quicker (which people usually just don't want to waste time in one raid all day; either that or they're attempting for speed feats).
    • Like x 3
  4. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

As true as it is, it wasn't as pronounced as it is nowadays. You could practically turn a blind eye easily to the guy who had the elitist attitude and such cause it wasn't right IN YOUR FACE with it, but now it's like everywhere..

You can't even go into a raid meant for YOUR gear level without someone higher than you sucking the fun like a bloated leech out of that to have someone else take your sport cause they're overgeared for it. I had that happen a few weeks ago on a 6x controller going into Sunstone...4 T5 dps in a league, 2 random dps in transition of T3/4, a healer, and me (solo gadget control...at 60s limit...). You have no idea how difficult it is to have fun in a raid like that when you're criticized for not "giving power" to power hungry T5s who can't even use their own consumables to the point YOU get kicked for not being "up to par" for those not even meant to be there e_o.

I miss the fun factor that used to be in this game.. :(
    • Like x 4
  5. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Because it is the only way for these people to feel like they've done anything worthwhile it would seem to be. Play the game for fun and play to the best of your ability. But if all you have to look forward to at the end of the day in this game is the scorecard something is very messed up there.

The worst in my opinion are the scoreboard chasers in legends. I've had people freak out, telling me how they should have won a match based on the fact they had done more damage than me*. PvP is about the quality of your play, not raw dps output.

*I was using Doctor Fate, who can buff his health by 3k, giving him the most health, or close to the most health in legends, not to mention splitting damage between his pets so logically they would have to deal more damage to me for it to be remotely close.

Fun times.
    • Like x 2
  6. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

Problem is though that so many people are running through the OC-WOTL content so fast they get bored (its a casual game, find something else if you wanna play hardcore...) and then backtrack under the guise of "speed feats", but in that essence they're rolling through in dps melting EVERYTHING which takes away the natural learning curve from the players within that tier and kicking them for their overgeared friends to get it which leaves everyone else..where..?? Last time I checked, 10 points in speed isn't worth another clueless player failing at a role later on.

Also, it's a raid...it was designed to be long and arduous, but these dumb workarounds make it like a chore to too many people that it's more or less an extended alert/duo/etc. Like "How dare you have fun in this game?? **** so I can invite my friend/leaguemate to finish this chore so I can go do my chores! :mad:"
  7. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

I feel erasing the scorecard with something else like (as a joke) "You've defeated the Raid boss in xx:xx time! Congratulations!!"

No numbers to look forward to to get rid of that tunnel-minded vision. You can get everything else except "damage/power/healing out" such as npc ko, healing/damage/power in, and how many times you had the unfortunate luck of being downed. It may not be 100%, but honestly if it removes score chasers, I'd feel at least remotely more confident in random groups cause it'd be less people trying to look at numbers over having fun and learning something about themselves.
  8. KeyuBaN New Player

yes, many people of this community definitely lack patients. I've seen many viable group setups in pugs and there's always that one person that says, "One of the tanks/healers need to go." and then they proceed with. "All we need is one tank/healer, 2 trolls, and rest can burn" and sometimes, even though somebody may HAVE the gear for it, doesn't mean they're actually going to be good...

I'm fact, earlier today, I joined a Nexus Pug (6 people of which were league mates) mid way (second boss) on my earth tank. They considered kicking me, but one very nice guy decided to give me a chance even though the other tank in there was better geared then I. I could tell that I was doing much more for the team then he was (moving for pickups, which the tank wasn't; pulling adds in closer to the Boss for faster burning from the DPS; etc.). It just goes to show you that CR is can be very irrelevant at times. I know too many people that are T5, and I always ask myself how they even got that far playing the way they do.
    • Like x 1
  9. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

That really won't help though. I can certainly see the logic, but then players will just blindly toss around accusations about who is the worst dps in a raid and try to get rid of that person.

I would like it if one day a year the scoreboard was replaced with this as a joke though. Just because some people will idiotically think it's actually permanent.

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  10. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

At the rate so many belligerent dpsers are treating so many other roles, players, and (dare i say) abusing the content, I would welcome a little squabble between them just to see how out of hand they can be beyond the usual attitude of "kick the low burner". I know I would get a kick out of it before that obviously dysfunctional (and i say it nicely :/ ) group decided to disband/quit before even reaching the first boss.

And I say this playing a dps and tank/dps hybrid (without an armory mind you and it still works perfectly for me :p) so I'm not saying it out of spite for the real, I'm saying it out of loving to see what happens when people don't know anything instead of just "having fun within a video game".
  11. Franchise New Player

you saying you was picking up ppl as a tank? o_O
  12. RedKryptonite Well-Known Player

Enrage timers on the bosses in Origin crisis didn't help the issue.. It made groups look for top dps and when the boss wasn't burned fast enough it was the dps fault.
  13. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

at what point were enrage timers mentioned???
  14. RedKryptonite Well-Known Player

You say that it started when T4 and then T5 came out. At launch the first boss in gates was an issue for some as he would enrage. Same with the T5 raid bosses in origin crisis. This causes people to look at the numbers and find the weakest link. I was just simply mentioning a contributing factor.

You didn't mention enrage timers but if you can't see how it fits into your original post as a contributing factor to people wanting things burned so fast then there's no point in even trying to explain it.
    • Like x 2
  15. light FX Steadfast Player

i agree, the point of the content is 2 finish what u r running. When i dps i pretty much use the scoreboard as a guide and always look at the ratio. Ive been in pugs where some guy brags about being top dps and his ratio was garbage. Me and my league/friends always aim for the 10:1 ration meaning 1mil dmg out to 100k power in. IMO any dmg around that ratio or better is decent/pretty good
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

see u said its a casual game. And it didnt use 2 b, not long ago at all u could not jump tiers and get to t5 in a few days. That has recently changed. Remember this is an mmo. There r grindy feats. It may b geared toward the casual now but there r 4sure alot of hardcore players on dcuo. I agree with what u r saying about the community but dont tell me 2 play another game because im a so called "hardcore" player om this 1. This is the only game i play and dcuo has always been play your way. I would say find other people that share your opinions, thoughts, and playstyle and start a league with them, never know, might help
  17. light FX Steadfast Player

what i saw from jens keynote speech at soe live last year is league halls will have statues for top dps for a period of 30 days. I thought he said u will b able 2 choose like most healing out and most power out. I agree about the scorecard but if u dont like it its only gonna get worse with that statue stuff. I already see some dps in a raid saying something like "ive had the statue for top dps for 3 months straight now in my league, im a beast, blahblahblah." Thats really gonna suck
  18. MCAZR New Player

Wow, who are some of you guys playing with? Try getting on mic and being sociable and maybe things will go a lot smoother or at least much more bearable.
  19. Ice Lantern New Player

1) The numbers mean that I still have something to entertained by. This game has lost so many things that I found entertaining and now it's gonna lose it's pace. More importantly, the game is so easy that completing the content is no longer in question unless you have a bad group.

2) The numbers allow me to determine my effective with respect to others (at least to some capacity). That way, I am able to carry players who are just concerned with completing the content. I am not happy with just being adequate. I am not happy with just getting a passing grade. I want to be great at everything I do.

3) One of the reasons that support roles really emphasize teamwork is because they don't have the means to compete without completely screwing up the instance and thus getting kicked. Someone is assigned PoT duties so competing for Power Out is a fruitless endeavour. Healing out is such a ridiculous metric and most groups only run one healer now anyways.

That all said, some DPSes take things it to the point where it can make the instance more difficult. When that is the case, I don't mind kicking them. But not every DPS that likes to compete is a moron, just like any other role. We just have the luxury of being able to compete and add extra entertainment value to the content.
    • Like x 2
  20. Celestial Demon Dedicated Player

You remember not every boss has a timer right? And you really don't need 4-6 T5 dps melting to say "oh man that was close, he almost enraged! Good thing we killed it in 3 seconds or we would've been sca-rrewwwwed!"

Besides, the curve in this game was designed to run it as (more or less) duos/alerts first, vendors, then raid gear (correct it anyway you feel it should be set up) piece by piece, you really have more than enough time to practice stats and loadouts within that tier before running with similarly geared players to get through the content so long as everyone knows what they're doing, enrage timers are the least of anyone's worries.

I'm discounting fresh content as part of anything because it's a different (so to say) mechanic than what you were used to before so of course its gonna be tough, that's everyone in every mmo ever in history. But then to go backwards and take away from others who it might be the first time or so running the thing and need to learn what to do to keep progressing just because you can "burn everything before it has a chance to do anything" doesn't help make anyone the least bit better later on.

Numbers just mean you need work, and it wrecks a group when that's all anyone can focus on is numbers instead of trying different things to fit the bill. Hell, my rage dps comes in 2-4th in dps cause he just reached T4, but I don't let numbers run me, I jut keep going and keep practicing to get better. But that's tough to push myself when I'm only able to get like 3 hits on something because these overgeared Vestment players come in force and melt everything, then what? I got some marks, whoop-de-doo, I can't see if I'm doing any better or not then cause the most overgeared guy is doing 900k in less than 20 minutes while others in that tier are just reaching 200k or so.