Omaar's HL dps guide.

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by OMAAR, Feb 15, 2013.

1. OMAAR New Player

LB, robot and will results in 1-2+-% dps, use what you feel comfortable with but the love of GOD please don't use chompers.
    As soon as you can target you are better off lunging with claw and hold claw for Massive damage.
  2. Enjoi Well-Known Player

The only reason i used Chompers is for dueling, if you hit Chomper as soon as the counter hits 1, it sends the other person into panic, then release hell on them while in panic. I dont use it at all in PVE
  3. Zur-En-Arrh28 New Player

Joybird - NOT Omaar here, but I can probably help answer those questions:

1. I don't understand why anyone would use SSS then. Wouldn't it do less damage and cost more power?
    It's not ideal.. but it's still good Damange Output when you absolutely HAVE to stay ranged on a lethal boss.

2a) So, would you recommend not using an infinite combo at all, then? All the Whipthrash ones use Chainsaw, and I can't get that without sacrificing dps powers.
    Infinite loop doesn't involve Chainsaw that I'm aware. In fact none of these Combo's use Chainsaw.

2b) Something just occurred to me. Do you clip the first or second chain on Whipthrash?
    The First. The time between WhipThrash' X2 was always too long, and they recently even increased it.
  4. Bishop New Player

Concur with the above.

Just to further this with an addendum, SSS is the best for high Single Target damage at range. It is slightly under the damage of AAA, but it is at the safety of range which many levelling HL characters will need when fresh in FoS or T4 instances.

The infinite loop is not really necessary anymore as C-HC-Ram-WT/C-HC-Ram-WT etc is very economical, you could use the loop in duos if you have low power but make sure you start with ST/Fan for maximum % Damage buff.

Bishop
  5. OMAAR New Player

Bishop, I will calculate the numbers ( hopefully this weekend ) but I need to finish the might vs precision thing to shut up some people who don't appreciate the time I've spent testing.
    • Like x 1
  6. Joybird Committed Player

Thanks, Omaar. I just hit 30 yesterday, and I found the Claw>HC>Ram>WTx2 combo worked very well when soloing, as it's the point at which I'm about breaking even on power. No need for an infinite combo! When I've got a controller, I'll clip the first WT as suggested. So far, it's been very nice on the target dummy, and I'm looking forward to using it in alerts when someone's actually giving me power :).

Just a quick followup on the SSS question: since ST doesn't stack, does the second ST overwrite the first or does it just not work? The reason I'm wondering is my powers seem to do less damage when they're yellow than when they're white.
  7. Joybird Committed Player

Thanks, Zur. I didn't see your response at first. I do know that all the infinite combos that include Whip Thrash also include Chainsaw, but there are some that don't use either (ex. Claw>Ram>ST>Fan).
  8. Zur-En-Arrh28 New Player

No worries. I was a little late to the party. I know that chainsaw loop exists, but I aint specing into Chainsaw, no need to.
  9. Luridia New Player

Hey everyone i was just wondering in an average 25-30min raid whats the power/damage in ratio you guys usually come out with?

I'm not new to the DPS class, but i am relatively new to HL and have been using this guide as a basic set up( thanks OMARR for the awesome guide) Usually in gates using RSF/FFF/AAA switching to match however much power i have at the time i end up using 120k-150k power while doing 750k-850k. I mostly have 3.5 gear with some t4 thrown in and no mods yet and a 113 CC rifle(cant get brawling or rifle to drop in veng/dawn!)

I'm coming from a nature DPS as my main and he is also precision based but can usually end up doing 900k-1mil in a 30min run while using 74k-78k power, is it normal for HL to use so much or should i be slowing my combo's down? Any help is appreciated.
  10. OMAAR New Player

Sadly HL is an extremely inefficient powerset. Yes it is normal.
  11. Geslin New Player

What about this combo C ram WT/ram WT/ST Fan
  12. Bishop New Player

C-HC is a big piece of the AoE as it is 360 so if you position yourself correctly you can hit mobs pretty hard for 1-2k damage. Ram-WT can be somewhat limited in cone width and strength by the melee lunge of Claw so I'd advise keeping Ram-WT repetition to the Ram-WT/ST-Fan/Ram-WT OMAAR suggested. Adopting this at range means yes ram takes a slight hit but WT gets an enormous cone for damaging trash.

Also, OMAAR if there is anything I can do to help feel free to ask.

Bishop
  13. OMAAR New Player

Everybody. Sore has competed the 50/50 testing of might vs precision. And so far it goes like this :
    Yellow: Precision/power
    Blue: Precision/health
    RED: PRECISION/MIGHT

I have overseen the fact that precision 4 is 28 , and PRE/might 4 is 20/19. Since the rule for combos is 3:1 PRE/might 4 > wins over pre4.
  14. Sore Steadfast Player

• Like x 1
  15. Xenoblade New Player

what about the rings? might or precision?
    Also the utility belt, should we use might or precision utility belts
    thanks
  16. Cataclyzm New Player

Nice, precision and might is what I went with from the get go, thnx for the math to back it up sore. Great job as always!
    • Like x 1
  17. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

Its still situational and depends on your rotations HC, WT, ST , Fan don't benefit from might even in the slightest, the only occurrence would be if your doing the double ST range combo. Whatever might that would effects our stats can easily be made up by with the Escalating Might IV neck for its +261 might so again its something that I don't care what the testing says I know how it works in the actual content
    • Like x 2
  18. OMAAR New Player

Obsidian my man,
    I did forget about escalating might.I will do the testing in depth including charts and crits. Just not this weekend :) for the time being everybody keep what they have.
  19. OMAAR New Player

20. ObsidianChillSucks New Player

Even looking at the charts everything is marginal differences and the effective dps is still higher for all prec 4 mods. The one thing ive learned about HL is that its not perfect situations each time. You may have the best intentions to do the same rotation each time but it doesn't play out like that. There are many, many decisions that have to be made on the fly that change the rotation you should be doing instantly and lots of possibility's to get interrupted in our rotations or mis-firing on one, especially on the PC where the clipping is infinitely faster then ps3.

Looking at the stats themselves with best case gear Pure Prec: Base Stats + Pure-Prec mods + Prec lockbox neck + Prec Rings + Prec Affinities + Prec Belt = 815 Prec and 1656 Might. With a balanced build of prec&might in everything you have Prec-Balanced: Base Stats + Prec-Balanced mods + Prec neck + Prec Rings + Prec Affinities + Prec Belt = 767 Prec and 1770 Might. Now that's not including any DLC 6 items or Norseman gear such as the neck and face and the difference is only 114 might more and 48prec less and that's barely over a 2 ratio for prec vs might. Now take into effect the +261 might you'll be at the majority of the raid with the IV neck and that certainly covers any might deficiencies from the balance stats because that's 2x as much might as you would get from modding balanced stats.
    • Like x 3