New PC problems.

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by BumblingB, Jan 31, 2014.

1. BumblingB I got better.

Hi,
    So I broke down and purchased a new desktop. It's a built one as opposed to a premade one. (Dell, Etc.)

Specs:
    Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit)
    CPU / Processor: AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    RAM / Memory: 4GB
    Storage / Hard Drive: 232 GB Free: 184 GB
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 5450
    Ethernet Cable through Router.

My problem is it loads fine on the computer, but I can't turn on World Graphics. It literally halves my frame rate. I can't figure out what is causing it. As my Laptop, which uses the integrated graphics, can run the game just fine. My computer is brand new fresh install. There shouldn't be any issues as it is a gaming card, a very low end one, but still a gaming card. Things load way faster than my laptop. I can see everything fine, but the stutter is a problem and I would like to know anything that can help fix it.

My other problem I found is when I alt tab out, it's instant, but when I got back it hangs for quite a few seconds on a black screen. Also shouldn't be happening at all.

The last thing, which isn't a problem that affects me, but is kind of annoying is that sometimes characters, including myself, start flashing or lose details and go black. Dunno what to do here. I have video of this.

Any help is appreciated. Even if it is telling me I should get more RAM.

Thanks!
  2. OnceUponATime Dedicated Player

Define fresh install. :) A lot of people I know mean they installed everything that came with the hardware which includes drivers on a CD which are normally significantly out of date. I'd definitely be looking at your graphics card for those sort of symptoms. How much memory does it have? Have you tried out any other graphically intensive software with it - there's always the possibility you may have gotten unlucky and gotten a duff one.

I was trying to read the horrible graphics card comparison table and I think you may be a couple of notches lower than the required spec. Have a look yourself though, I am not nearly awake enough to guarantee I'm reading it right.
    System req: https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...m-requirements-pc-for-dc-universe-online.207/
    Comparison table thing: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Well I first went to try and find the latest drivers, they were already up to date. I purchased this with Windows installed already by the seller.
    God, I hope not. -_- Any way of finding out?
    Looking at the comparison chart, it places it lower, but that is what confuses me. My laptop has a NVIDIA GeForce 320M, which doesn't even appear on the list and it can run with the settings pretty high. My only problem is the speed of loading things in the world.

DC runs pretty well on not so great computers, I've had two older Toshiba Laptops that is what I played it on initially and had no real problems.

Okay, let me ask, if I wanted to purchase a new card, how do I know what to get that will work with my computer? I know power supply makes a difference as well as the slot length.
  4. OnceUponATime Dedicated Player

I'd look for a diagnostic tool if you're worried. Something to check the memory and keep an eye on the temperature. I have blown up a couple of graphics cards by toasting them when their fans failed.

Okay, I have to confess grew up in the days when the hardware was changing every other week and after a certain point it calmed and I stopped paying attention... So I'm no longer familiar enough with the various chipsets out there to be able to advise or explain the difference between cards to you one way another. I also really hate buying upgrades, and whilst once I used to do loads of research, these days I pick a budget, check it'll fit the slot (it looks like yours is PCIE) and then just make sure I'm getting something better than what I already have. Most large and small retailers of computers will happily advise you what will be compatible (and probably even install it for you as well). I'd also bet that if you posted a thread pretty much anywhere other than tech support about buying a new graphics card for DCUO here a dozen or more far more knowledgeable people will leap in and offer you constructive advice. :)
  5. Qoojo New Player

What do you mean by "I can't turn on World Graphics"?

Also, what amd driver are you using? The latest for your 5xxx card is 13.12.

Do you have vsync on or off?
  6. BumblingB I got better.

It's the open world visuals. I can run w/o seeing the mist and atmosphere. When I turn it on, it literally drops to half the FPS.
    I got the latest. First thing I checked.
    Tried with both. Made no difference I could see.

Just so you all know, I am just buying a new GFX. It's this one. According to the chart it is WELL above the specs recommended and it will work with my PSU, which is 480. I probably would want to upgrade my PSU when I get a chance, but for now, should be fine.

Thanks for the support.