Reason why Photon Blast is broken but no one talks about it

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by ???, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDark Devoted Player

Then that's really a problem with the way the healer powersets were designed. It's a weakness. They do have other strengths.

I have the same issue with the breakout from the block button. But it doesn't strictly happen with PB. It happens with control effects from other powers from other powersets. Some of the posters in the past made it seem as if the block button is bugged simply due to PB which is misleading.

PB doesn't have a knock back or knock down control effect. PB control effects are labeled "pushed" and "stunned." You get 2 push control effects then one stun. They are annoying. But again there are tools to reduce the chances of falling victim to them. I personally don't care if the control effect is reduced to just 2.

If the source of something's ability to be godly is the issue, then that source needs to be removed because it eliminates the topic. I would prefer they improve breakouts. Also, I wouldn't even care if they removed the mod either.
  2. Karnevil Committed Player

it's the first rule of photon blast not working.
  3. Peacemakaz Committed Player

Photon blast is the best 35%er, but I don't think it should be nerfed, as most players don't use it where you can take advantage of all its perks, an arena pvp match with two competitive teams, and a duel. There is a real reason to complain about it(which I don't really want to get into), but most people cry for the wrong reasons. This for example takes the cake. You always have 3 escalating might procs up in a raid, why is photon activating 2 such a big deal? (dueling wasn't even an original part of the game, and balancing for dueling would be ridiculous.)

That being said, I am curious about how you said photon blast has the same under 35% total damage as other power sets. Photon blast has the highest base damage above 35%(unless they nerfed it in the past year?), but has the same as everyone else's under 35%? Just listening to that sounds shaky at best, so I am curious who proved it, and under what circumstances.
  4. TheDark Devoted Player

this is not a hostile response but an assertive one

I think we need to establish what the definition of 2 words mean first.
    Same means to be identical. Which means to be exactly alike.
    Similar means to resemble without being identical.

I have never said "the damage is the same." I always says the damage range is similar. 2 different things. All powers have a damage range and they can overlap with other powers.

Under 35% health finishers base damage (meaning at zero might)

Quantum's Energy Expulsion deals 3 ticks of 91 to 120 damage.
    Fire's Snuff Out deals 2 ticks of 97 to 135 damage.
    Ice's Impaling Ice deals 2 ticks of 97 to 135 damage.
    Earth's Sandblast deals 2 ticks of 85 to 118 damage.
    Mental's Terrorize deals 2 ticks of 97 to 129 damage.
    Light's Light Blast deals 5 ticks of 80 to 100 damage.
    Nature's Impaling Thorns deals 2 ticks of 97 to 129 damage.
    Sorcery's Final Ruin deals 2 ticks of 97 to 136 damage.

i don't know what Celestial's finisher is or it's numbers.

The infamous Gadget's Photon Blast deals 6 ticks 111 to 146 damage.

10 points damage over is not significant but the fact remains that It IS in similar range of the other finishers excluding Light's finisher. One could argue why a precision based powerset (that overall has lower might based damage across it's powers) would need a finisher to be on par. I would also be curious if the contruct combo deals more than the might base combo. which again, would make sense considering it IS precision based.

The 10 points over could be debated. But it is reasonable to award a might based powerset that deals extra ticks of channeling harm slightly more damage.

If someone brings up it's capabilities above 35% health, then they fail to realize this power was meant to give the powerset another far range ablilty. A far range ability that is in similar range of a 45% modifier Damage Over time ability from the Gadget's trees. So if that is labeled as "overpowered" then that means that must be nerfed as well as every other DoT with similar to the same damage as Stasis Field or Foam (the finger is now pointing at Mental). Which would be beyond inane and desperate.
  5. Giggles Loyal Player

Sorry but I really had trouble understanding what you were trying to say. Maybe it's the language barrier, but allow me recommend using google translate in the future to help make your English statements a bit clearer. Normally I can put together what you are trying to say but this sounded like one long incoherent paragraph.

As far as this thread, as others have said, photon does less damage than all other finishers. This thread should not be about photon blast, it should be about escalating might. If 87 might is making or breaking your PvP experience you are doing it wrong. There are much bigger problems that need to be fixed before 87 might, come on now. ;)
    • Like x 1
  6. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Not all finishers operate the same. Some apply debuffs or PI's. Some tick less some tick more. The base damage is fairly close for all of them. They do not all function exactly the same way but do serve the same purpose. This is another excuse for insufficient players to try QQ without reason.

As for the mod as has been shown by dark and jeebie this happens with other channel type powers. People need to stop looking for every excuse they can to get other powers nerfed because they can't figure out how to optimize their powers or general lack of skill.
  7. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

I can confirm if you combo into light blast(using precision instead of might) it will do more damage. The level of how useful that is depends on a players precision and whether it is landing on a single target(it splits on 2 or 3 and can hit up to 5 targets). Its stated in Battery's HL no weapon trolling guide how its better to use light blast in combo. I believe he did testing for it way back when but I don't have any numbers for it. I could see HL needing somewhat of a small increase for its base damage on LB since along with the lower base damage it hits multiple targets and splits horribly. Not as big of an issue in single target bosses but lower level trash adds.

I just wanted to throw that out there. I completely agree with ya. The finishers are in a similar range and the nerf wars continue needlessly.
  8. The Hornet New Player

Plague is not Celestial's finisher, Defile is.
  9. 13igtyme Devoted Player

A good dps will always have max buff from the neck mod. I'm not even gadgets and I know this thread is irrelevant.
  10. Agnetta Dedicated Player

ask him how it works out when he does it constantly during a pvp match, or after a duel has started
  11. ??? Well-Known Player

You have just proved the proof photon blasted should be balanced and in line with the other finishers, or buff the other finishers to balance it. Your numbers, thanks for confirming them :)

What you mean a "slightly" more damage is a difference from the next higher damage finisher of 876/500 = 75%

So 75% Over the next higher damage finisher is a slightly more damage? :rolleyes:

And you are not a dev to say the power "was meant to give the powerset another far range ability".
    A finisher is meant to be a finisher.

Please don´t try to twist arguments on your favor, is ok defend the power that lots of ppl rely on, but if you are not against balance then there is nothing to worry about. Thanks for providing the numbers ;)
  12. ??? Well-Known Player

Yes, and if is a good dps as you say, then he should work to build up his buffs, not given away with 1 extra proc right?
  13. ??? Well-Known Player

Is ok buddy, let me help you out with Dark´s information, he was kind enough to provide the numbers, not an " i feel" response.

--->

Quantum's Energy Expulsion deals 3 ticks of 91 to 120 damage. = 360
    Fire's Snuff Out deals 2 ticks of 97 to 135 damage.=270
    Ice's Impaling Ice deals 2 ticks of 97 to 135 damage. = 270
    Earth's Sandblast deals 2 ticks of 85 to 118 damage. = 236
    Mental's Terrorize deals 2 ticks of 97 to 129 damage. = 258
    Light's Light Blast deals 5 ticks of 80 to 100 damage.= 500
    Nature's Impaling Thorns deals 2 ticks of 97 to 129 damage. = 258
    Sorcery's Final Ruin deals 2 ticks of 97 to 136 damage. = 272

The infamous Gadget's Photon Blast deals 6 ticks 111 to 146 damage. = 876

> As you can see here, 876 dmg from photon over light blast (the next in damage) 876/500 = 75% More over the next damage finisher.

If you want to compare vs ice´s or fire´s finisher: 876/270 = 324.44% More damage.

This are facts. So, in order to balance the other finishers this needs to be in line with other finishers.
  14. HeirToThaThrone Committed Player

1sec while I find the right pic for this.

Nvm, I deleted it. :|
  15. 13igtyme Devoted Player

That only matters in the first 2 seconds of a boss fight. After than the buff stays up till the boss is dead. I also don't know of any dps who instantly start of with photon. So again, this is irrelevant info.
  16. Too Many Toons Dedicated Player

Interesting skewing of stats by assuming every tick is maximum. Yes, photon has more ticks, but like most, the big finale is ..the big finale..and more likely to not get delievered / interrupted etc. Noone, nowhere..ever pulled off 6 ticks at max.
  17. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

How did you come up with that for numbers. It looks like your adding the total base damage per ticks which would make your numbers way off. He meant x power does x number ticks of damage they provide then this total base damage. If you read his post he says directly that PB only deals 10 more damage than the rest at base damage which isn't a huge difference.

He also states how HL has the lowest damage but eludes to the HL being a precision based set and that the damage could be better when it is used in a combo. I then confirmed that the damage is better when combo'd into.

Did you even read his post? Did you do any testing because its been confirmed that HT escalating might mod is proccing for other channeling powers as well not just PB. Which means that its likely functioning as intended.

It does not deal 75% more damage than the next finisher. What you posted is not facts. Go do some testing instead of misinterpreting other people's information and jumping to conclusions. Your just confusing other lazy players who don't ever look into what and how they're powers work. It is in line with the other finishers.

Taken from the Gadgets Guide

• Power Cost of T4=350, T5 86 IL=455
    • [Vulnerable to Interrupt] Bombards an enemy with a powerful ray to damage and stun them, causing additional damage to enemies under 35% health or below.
    • [Damage Role] Increases all damage by 50% until the hit counter resets (at least five seconds)
    • [Damage Data] This information was taken directly from The DCUO Book until I can retest this myself. The DCUO Book is a reliable source. Deals 6 ticks of damage. 3 ticks of low damage (6-8 damage per tick; 18-24 damage total) and 2 ticks of medium damage (17-25 damage per tick; 34-50 damage total). This brings the total possible damage from Photon Blast up to 52-74 damage.
    • On targets at 35% health or below, Photon Blast will deal 3 ticks of low damage (11-16 damage per tick; 33-48 total) and 2 ticks of heavy damage (39-49 damage per tick; 78-98 total). This brings the total possible damage from Photon Blast on targets at 35% health or below up to 111-146 damage.
    • Damage does not hit encased targets.
    • [Tips and Tricks]This power does have a cast time and it is a channeled beam. You won't get all 6 ticks if you jump cancel this power. You must stay in animation to get the full 6 ticks. The damage is good and definitely could find a place on a ranged damage load out. Melee might be a tough sell though because of the interruption unless you have Empowered Channeling. That white mod also increases defense while PB is active. Consider popping Distract or placing some distance before casting. In PvP, you're vulnerable to being interrupted by your opponents' teammates.
    The underlined is again the base damage total for targets below 35% health.
  18. ??? Well-Known Player

Want me to do the math on mins?

Quantum's Energy Expulsion deals 3 ticks of 91 to 120 damage. = 273
    Fire's Snuff Out deals 2 ticks of 97 to 135 damage.=194
    Ice's Impaling Ice deals 2 ticks of 97 to 135 damage. = 194
    Earth's Sandblast deals 2 ticks of 85 to 118 damage. = 170
    Mental's Terrorize deals 2 ticks of 97 to 129 damage. = 194
    Light's Light Blast deals 5 ticks of 80 to 100 damage.= 400
    Nature's Impaling Thorns deals 2 ticks of 97 to 129 damage. = 194
    Sorcery's Final Ruin deals 2 ticks of 97 to 136 damage. = 272

The infamous Gadget's Photon Blast deals 6 ticks 111 to 146 damage. = 666

Compared to the next in damage: 666/400 = Photon blast provides 66% more damage.
    Compared with the lower dmg finisher= 666/194 = still photon blast do 343% More damage.

Thanks for the input, this way now we can assure that in low or high dmg, photon deals 343% more damage than the lower finishers, and deals 66% more damage than the one that follows in damage.
  19. ??? Well-Known Player

I can see that you only think in pve.
    Also, that argument is irrelevant. If photon blast gives away an unfair advantage with 2x procs, and now, a 343% more dmg over the lower finishers, should be reviewed and in line with other powers.:)
  20. Giggles Loyal Player

Lets also not forget it is twice as long as most other finishers. Your little average you created assumes that it always hits for 146 base damage lol. Come on now man, who are you trying to kid? Lets also look at the low end of it, it could hit for 666. Let's also forget those are only estimates as no one has the real numbers except the developers.

Photon being longer than any other finisher warrants its execution. Again, due to it's duration it gives the target ample time to react and save themselves unlike the other finishers such as impaling thorns, impaling ice, etc. You really need to get your story straight. Your first issue is that an extra 87 might is costing you wins in PvP. Then when we all explain to you how minimal of an impact 87 might really is in the grand scheme of things, you are trying to give exaggerated information on a move you are just mad you are having issues fighting against.

As I have explained before, the way you avoid any CC in this game is breakout, breakout trinket, shield. We ALL have these things available to us. If you are too slow to utilize any of them, its a problem on your end, not the game or any one power. Lastly, Photon does horrible damage when target is above 35% HP, as does any other finisher. When you see you are getting close to 35% when a finisher can really hurt you, pop a soda. Problem solved. You are welcome. If you need any help in game just pm. I will be glad to help you out.

Lastly, lets also not forget that Gadgets is one of the only sets without a 60%. This again makes up for it. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.