Reason why Photon Blast is broken but no one talks about it

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by ???, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CapnOrigami New Player

What's even funnier is that every non gadget user is so butt blasted that they can neither keep up or have died by a photon and won't spend the money to just switch to the power not understanding that every 35% hits hard.

IF you really and truly test photon with other 35%ers with the same might, it only looks like photon does more because it is constant and it builds up to the max number while others like say impailing thorns has one burst hit and then lets off the final hit which is always hard even through block beyond 35%.

Like someone said, you can block through it
    Get an immunity to cut the damage off
    If their hand mod isn't on you can lunge it and get a good combo off
    Use a shield to stop the damage completely
    Get out of range of it

So many things to avoid it, just people can't understand that things are different for a reason. Hell I wish gadgets had a ton of AoE moves that DoT beyond a small cone. I wish it had a super charge that shielded and not a small bot that dies quickly but now (finally) scales to vit. Its a good single target power, which is why most people flock to it because in pvp you're focusing your damage most of the time on a person at times.

People need something to hate on to be the top, its understandable, but don't try to change something that isn't broken. The core thing that we keep seeing is ''OMG THE MOD IS OP ITS MAKING IT TICK OMG STOP IT''.... well then fix the mod and don't try to **** over a power that can be countered in numerous ways and is equal.

This is the type of **** that got transmutation ******.
    • Like x 2
  2. TheDark Devoted Player

Um no. If you figure out WHY something is bugged then you go about fixing the problem. Anyone can say oh this is broken.You need to know why something is not working.
    The problem that maybe 2 of us just realized is that it's PROCing when it's not supposed to. Maybe there is something else going on but based on the convo with 1 other person, it shouldn't be PROCing period. The affinity should activate consecutively.
  3. Sumeric New Player

I just finished testing ionic drain in DPs role. It channels for 9 ticks of damage (more times than photon blast) and only triggers escalating might one time. So the theory that long channeled powers, or powers that hit more than twice, are possibly the problem is debunked. The imbalance is with photon blast.
    • Like x 1
  4. TrueOlympus New Player

they all operate almost the same exact way except for one.........
  5. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Well I don't see anything random about it, BUT photon isn't the only power doing this!. Soul Storm is a 4-5 tick channeled power and it's triggering 2 procs each time as well.

I don't think it's intended but maybe it's 4 ticks that triggers it?
  6. TheDark Devoted Player

The main reason why I'm calling it a proc, the random activation, is because it's not happening right after each tick. The mod says each time you use an offensive power you get the boost. So why is it doing random boosts? It's just something I'm curious about because we're the only 2 talking about it and we both don't know what's exactly going on.

When you use Soul Storm is it activating the affinity 2 ticks in? or towards the end?
    To me it does make sense that 4 ticks is enough to trigger it if that's how it's intended. But it'd be really helpful if a dev can come in and actually say if it's intended or not. So far 2 powers can do it. Hopefully the other players can confirm if their channeling abilities can do it. This way some of us are actually being productive and isolating it to either our powers or the Neck mod.

Sumeric used Ionic Drain and didn't get the affinity. Is Ionic Drain a Damage Over Time channeling ability similar to Fear Gas or is it similar to Photon and Soul Storm? Have you tried that power before?
  7. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

One at begining and one at the end. 2 every time though. usually one after first and one after 4th then a final tick for the 5th, but sometimes it's one initially, and sometimes it's the second one after the 5th tick. So it's not always uniform.
  8. Giggles Loyal Player

If it deserved a nerd, I would be behind it. It doesn't. As I said if 87 might is making or breaking your PvP experience, you are doing something wrong. The extra stack of might should be fixed, but is so minor it really doesn't matter. With the new amount of HP all PvP gear gives, 13k hp, I highly doubt this is going to be an issue.
  9. ??? Well-Known Player

Well, looks if 87 is making a huge difference for your pvp experience, i do think is not me as you said, but you, the one doing it something wrong. Being more constructive, there are some dummies where you can also practice a lot of your combos and never worry about 87 might. If you need with the tap / hold combos, let me know, i am more than happy to help :)
  10. ??? Well-Known Player

Also i wonder giggles, why so much trouble on fixing something to balance the game?
  11. BumblingB I got better.

Photon Blast is not bugged.
    Escalating Might is.

Topic should be renamed, "Escalating Might is broken and should be fixed."
    • Like x 2
  12. ??? Well-Known Player

If they are checking into this, they can also check into photon blast damage. That will help for balance. If balance is not required, nothing to worry. But if it requires balance, then balance will come. So no need to worry ;)
    • Like x 2
  13. Kirney Slane New Player

Photon Blast does LESS damage than other finishers. I did 10k+ damage with impaling ice ( 8k+ on second hit) and I have never seen PB do that kind of damage. Not even close. The cc might be an issue in pvp but as previously stated, it gives u time to avoid it.

I agree with you on the escalating might thing tho, i never realized this myself and it doesn't make that much of a difference imo as a skilled dps will always have the max buff from it anyway before hitting pb.
    • Like x 1
  14. TheDark Devoted Player

With the exception of one other person, the lot of you are discredited for being biased and being personally motivated other than seeking "balance." Not one you explained how channeling abilities worked or bother testing them.

The title of the thread and the original post are misleading and incorrect. Other powers are registering the same way yet no one ever talks about it. The OP himself doesn't even know if this is intended.

Iconic's Tree. Freezing Breath. Channeling ability similar to Photon Blast. 4 channeling ticks. Except it triggers the Neck mod consecutively. Even does it 3 times.
    Heat Vision. Channeling ability similar to Photon Blast. 12 channeling ticks. Continues to PROC like Photon Blast in that the affinity is triggered randomly. Mostly every 2 ticks. Also can do it up to 3 times.

I wonder what other abilities aside from these 2, Photon and Soul Storm do it. I wonder what else some of you are hiding.
    Like I said before the description can be interpreted differently and either accounts for the channeling abilities or it doesn't. The MOD does not specifically say "one affinity PER power."
    • Like x 1
  15. LIVETASER New Player

You just made my day with your post. Well said friend.
  16. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

I still don't think it's quite right, as it's not like Photon/Soulstorm are longer channels than the other finishers, they just have more ticks. Did they know these things when they were making the mods? Was it intended? /shrug, I can say one thing for a fact. We don't know, only the green name guys do... and honestly only probably 1 or 2 of them whoever was involved in it hehe.

All that said, the issue with photon is not only the multiple procs. it's also the CC + Damage + Defense boost that are all rolled in to one package with no downside thanks to HT.

I still think the issue is more the mod than the power, but you also have to look at the package as a whole. How do the devs wnat to deal with it. Because right now it's a godly power. I'd prefer no nerf. I'd love if they simply fixed it by giving us some way to combat the CC effect... breaking out actually working? /shrug.
    • Like x 1
  17. HeirToThaThrone Committed Player

Just tell them to fix the dam mod proccing and continuous stun (even though I can always breakout of it with no problems). Done. While youre at it, tell them to apply the healing shield mod to Neural Neutralizer or Energy Shield, since the HT mod brought an unfair disadvantage to Gadgets users by singling out all of their shields.
  18. LIVETASER New Player

It is funny how many are on PB in PVP, you must not have seen what celestial can do. I was dueling with a friend that is celestial and right when the voice says 1 am hit with over 8K and dead without even getting any chance to hit him once. And he was explaining to me how he starts his combo after accepting duels and by the time it says 1 you will be killed by plague finisher. I was like that is beast AOE even standing behind him one shots also because it has a 360 wide AOE that is lethal with that combo. I like that because in raids no one can top him and that is fine but to sit here and listen to the B.S people talk about concerning the ONLY power in gadget that is strong enough like EVERY other 35%. Yes, I have played all the power sets. Scoreboard chasers need to get a life.
    • Like x 1
  19. TheDark Devoted Player

It probably isn't intended. No one knows. But going about it in a post titled the way it is and making the immediate judgement call that it is broke is not the way the OP should have gone about it. It's childish. He should've described how channeling abilities work. Described how the neck mod works. Accepted it is up for interpretation and then requested input by a green name to see if it needs to be fixed or not. The OP has shown his position on the power in his title before. He is biased.

It's already proven the damage is similar to other finishers below 35%. It's reasonable an ability with more ticks deals slightly more damage. Above 35% this power serves a second purpose in giving a powerset a far range "inline" damage capability. Above 35%, the damage range is similar to the 45% modifier DoTs.

The CC effect is annoying. Are you referring to the breakout trinket? That's one thing. But my Distract (an ability that provides immunity from control effects for 5 seconds) protects me. There are other abilities in the other powersets that work the same way as Distract. The video in another thread clearly shows a tank's immunities to control effects protected the player from the CC ability. Why are we showing compassion for players who dont figure out to use shields, breakouts or abilities that provide control immunity? How does someone who PvP's all day not figure this out? I think it's a stupid argument.

Players need to realize it's a Home Turf mod(s) that make said ability godly. Without it, players with brains actually called out the gadget dps in a pvp group and lunged at him the second he used PB on a teammate to knock them down.
  20. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

No healer powerset has a breakout power, which is an issue. They have to rely on a 45s reuse trinket

I was referring to the pressing block to breakout though. It simply has been wonky the last couple months, not sure what changed but I have issues breaking out of most anything... sometimes it works perfect but usually I simply can't break out.

With Photon though you have something like a stun, knockback, and knockdown all coming at you, so you break out of one to get hit by the next and ugh...

And it doesn't matter what makes this godly if in the end it's godly. If the devs would kindly address the mod issue that works. If they won't, then the power needs to be addressed... or really more ideally, just address it on the other end by giving players a way to escape the stuns.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.