When You Sound Like a 12 year old boy

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by deevilspork, Sep 6, 2013.

1. deevilspork New Player

But you really are a 21 year old female
    Your teammates don't take you seriously...

What a dreadful discovery I have made.

[IMG]

I'd rather focus on the missions, but people keep wanting to guess my gender.
    I don't know whether to be amused or saddened.
    • Like x 7
  2. deevilspork New Player

Does anyone else have these little annoyances? :p
  3. Faust74 Loyal Player

Whoa! You're a woman?!?! :eek:

What's up. Post here often? ;)
    • Like x 4
  4. BlackWingBeyond Committed Player

Wouldn't know, sorry. I haven't sounded like a 12 year old since I was 12.
    • Like x 2
  5. MercPony Devoted Player

I know your pain :/
    • Like x 3
  6. nowburn4it Loyal Player

Treat and Free have mentioned similar experiences
  7. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

They always say "Girls don't play video games" I've even had the good ol "make me a sandwich" insult thrown at me. I just tell everyone I'm a male from now on. I get people assuming I'm a guy because I have a male toon, but once they found out I was indeed not a male, I feel a little walked on. If I defend myself, I get treated like trash. Men can dish it out but can't take it back lol especially from a girl ^.^ They HATE it.
    • Like x 5
  8. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

The word I can't stand being used is the word "*****" as in "the final boss in Prime ***** our tank". I encouraged a female friend of mine to sign up for the game. She was running some level 10 mission and teamed up with some random guy and he kept going on and on about how he was getting ***** by the adds.

Unfortunately, my friend was a victim of a violent sexual assault, and this constant use of the word triggered a panic attack. She hasn't played the game since. Don't blame her to be honest with you. To those of you who would say why didn't she turn off the TV. The whole thing took place over about 20 seconds. Sadly it doesn't take much to provoke trauma.
    • Like x 4
  9. LisaLoeb New Player

Never had that issue in my league. :)

In pugs, I hear random off the wall stuff and get weird tells. My ignore list is pretty full. :)
    • Like x 1
  10. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

Never been on voice chat, but I'm sure if I ever do get the nerve to talk to other people through the voice channel, they'd either think I was Southern or British. My accent changes A LOT, even though I don't do it purposely (well, sometimes I'll do it purposely). I can change my voice to make myself sound British, Australian, Southern/Western, Irish, or like I'm from Long Island. Usually, though, I just sound like a regular Northeastern woman. If you ever video chat me, though, you'd probably think I was a twelve year old boy. I'm 20.

And I've had multiple experiences with perves on DCUO. Heck, I have multiple experiences with perves almost every day of my life. A lot of creeps come to my workplace, and I've been the victim of virtual harassment many times. I don't let it take away from my passion of video gaming, though. Mostly, I just hate talking to other people on voice chat because I always feel like I never know what to say....

Anyway, chin up, girl!
    • Like x 2
  11. Zuse Loyal Player

or when ppl think you are 16-18 but u turn out to be 21 when they hear your voice
    • Like x 1
  12. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I had someone ask me if I was back in school this week.

I'm 44, my daughter just graduated from University.
    • Like x 6
  13. Amanda Bailey Devoted Player

I used to talk on voice chat but it does get pretty scary. Hearing someone say the perverting things is far worse than seeing it in a tell. I did meet some normal guys that treated me and others like friends, but there were times when people would just get out of hand. I finally quit voice chat when someone said something sexist to me so of course, being me, I said something back. I was called a "Thunder C***" because of my bad electric healing. That's when I finally had enough of it. Maybe the odds weren't on my side, but I'll stick to chat because its seriously uncalled for. I've learned to just /ignore people, I recommend everyone use it if someone is personally attacking you like that.
    • Like x 2
  14. StillCheckmate Committed Player

Honestly my voice is so naturally deep and scratchy people have asked me if I'm retired ... except I'm not even out of high school.
    • Like x 3
  15. Free2BeMe Loyal Player

I hear ya.
    • Like x 1
  16. deevilspork New Player

Oh wow, I've been lucky enough not to be harassed that badly whenever I've voice chatted.
    It's terrible that people would still act that way.
    I know you got your trolls, but hell to just be straight-up abused....I wouldn't be able to handle it either.

Quantum, that sucks.
    My uncle is around your age and is a HUGE DC Fanguy...he wanted to start playing himself, but was curious if other people his age played. (Didn't want to be stuck dealing with a bunch of kids, which I can understand.) So I must tell him that you play.

It's a difficult thing...
    Deciding whether or not just to go ahead and tell people your age (or gender)
    Because of how flip-floppy it's getting on DCUO
    It's like a coin toss with Two-Face
    Sometimes you get the sweetest people
    And sometimes you get the kids who scream , harass, and take a small loss like a personal insult.

It's weird out there.
    • Like x 2
  17. tell me more New Player

1. Find a nice league
    2. Use your ignore list
    3. Don't worry, be happy :)
  18. deevilspork New Player

Very good advice. :)

I somehow got put into a league that I don't even remember being invited to, lol.
    I've never once talked to the members, but I've apparently been with them for a little while.

I will definitely be using that ignore list. :D
  19. Epic Wins New Player

I've seen a few reaction to a girls voice.
    1) someone is clearly aggravated that people are being nice or paying attention to her.
    2) The guys are all being EXTRA nice
    3) Reacts like shes just another player and pays her no mind unless it has something to do with the content being played

Sucks that most people can't fall into the 3rd category :/
    • Like x 2
  20. Treat New Player

Truth.
    • Like x 1