A Mental Breakdown V3

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Greenman_x, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Ill start with PVE...If youre looking for pure crowd control then Id try out Tendrils - Phantom Flames/Thought Bubble - Mass Terror - Psy Shock/Resonance - Bastion - Empowerment ...Tendrils, Flames, MT, Shock, Resonance will all stun multiple targets...TB>Resonance is also a good CC combo and does nice damage as well

Power efficiency is really more up to the user than anything...Knowing when its a good idea to use CC moves and when to just kinda spam power...The sad reality of what we do is that our role, no matter how we try to deny it, is designed about returning power so when in doubt forget the CC or Debuff and just give back power...I usually do:
    Tendrils clipped w/ Empowerment>Weapon Combo clipped w/ empowerment>Phantom Flames clipped w/ empowerment>Weapon Combo and repeat
    Controlling is as much about managing your own power bar as it is managing everyone elses...Use too much and the group suffers, use too little and the group suffers

Now for PVP...Controllers get the shaft in PVP.

Yea we get a damage buff against healers, but its so difficult to really put a dent in them without spamming your power...The most important thing to remember is that ALL damaging powers apply the healing debuff on them (not just Pyro/HV) so dont always just use that and also remember that even though the red heart might not be up under their name, it could be because they casted a Healing over time power which will remove the symbol

For 1v1 battles that seems like a good loadout as it give you the ability to protect yourself while giving yourself the ability to keep decent damage numbers up, but for anything above make sure you carry Psychic Empowerment and in 4v4/5v5 matches like Containment or the Pit to carry Bastion or WOP as a SC, because the thing I learned over 2 years controlling PVP is that power wins matches...Healers cant keep the group up without it, so make them burn through it as fast as possible while trying to keep your groups up

Hope that helped
  2. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I have a buddy who uses the rifle and he puts up great numbers without using TK bolt so maybe you can try it...His loadout is the classic: Mass Terror - Menace - Phantom Flames - Psy Shock - Pyro - Thought Bubble (swapping in terrorize for bosses)

He sits back and fires in Grenade clipped w/ Mass Terror clipped w/ menace>Grenade clipped w/ Pyro>Grenade clipped w/Phantom flames etc...It doesnt slow you down with cast time powers but it uses a TON of power (trust me) but it seems to do very high Damage...See if that works for you
    • Like x 1
  3. Coconuts Well-Known Player

Thank you greenman! I'll def look into using those loadouts and ill def. Take the advice on trolling in pvp for 4v4 and 5v5
  4. 13igtyme Devoted Player

The other day I think my menace crit for 2035. There is literally no other power at the time that could have done that. I did a weapon combo clipped with MT and saw my dots from TB and pryo doing their normal thing. Saw an 800 from MT, and a 12xx from my second hold of the shield. All normal, then this random 2k popped up. If done test and have never gotten that high. There was no one using hivemind or anything. I can't even replicate it on anything.
  5. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

That's friggen ridiculous...what is your might at?
  6. 13igtyme Devoted Player

It's only a base 2507 at the time it happened. I had the might neck mod but it just doesn't seem to add up. I have almost full T5 but only two of them are modded with V and non of them are expert, gathering mods just need to find crafters. I only know of might/power expert crafter and its my league leader.
  7. Susanoo Well-Known Player

Has anybody tried the nature 60% tactical mod rout? I was thinking start with TK bolt -> telekinesis clipped with menace -> mass terror -> thought bubble -> pyro to weapon combo......I picked pyro last because it is the hardes hitting power in mental and with the 60% mod plus the dazed from TK with the escalation night neck you would be doing insane single target damage.
  8. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

You might be better off starting off with TK to get the Dazed effect on your target
  9. Agnetta Dedicated Player

do any of you mental dps raid with other mental dps? are the dots overriding a problem? do you use more burst powers instead of dots?
  10. Clutch_GT New Player

I try to avoid running with another mental but it's doable. When I do run with another mental I run all burst + phase dodge just for the speed.
  11. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

DOTS overwriting is a problem for any powerset, but especially us...I usually ask the other DPS to pick a tree and I pick the opposite

It's far more uncomfortable because either way you sacrifice major damaging powers (MT or Pyro/TB), but it can still get the job done
  12. 13igtyme Devoted Player

My league leader has an alt that is currently mental. When we do stuff he asked me to give him a load out that doesn't mess with mine. He still does nice damage. But when he gets more gear then it is possible to have perfect synergy with our load outs.
  13. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

What loadout would you suggest for a mental burst damage? I sometimes have to run with another mental dps and I was noticing our dots were overwriting.
  14. 13igtyme Devoted Player

When I dps with my leader's alt he uses menace, tentrils, tk bolt, tk, terrorize, and shock. It's not the best load out be he's undergeared and would rather I use my normal loadout. If two mental dps are equally geared then you should cordinate a load out with equal dots and burst. So everything will be dazed and terror'ed for both dps.
  15. Clutch_GT New Player

Basically what Big said above, usually it's a give and take with the other Mental user I try to split it up so where a bit balanced ie both have 1 single target dot and both have an AoE dot. I personally use tendrils menace phase dodge phantom flames psychic shock/psy res/tk push(this depends on the instance & weapon choice) and iconic robot or tk bolt<- this depends on the instance. In case you're wondering I use a 2 handed weapon with the above loadout.
  16. thoughtpatern New Player

Hi all thought I would jump in here for a suggestion. Can you put in the guide maybe the number of ticks thought bubble and pyrokenisis have and the amount of time it takes for them to complete the dot?

I remember pyro I think hits 21 times? And thought bubble is 7? Mass terror is 3.

What I do is I use menace as my timer. For dps if I run with enduring damage mod I normally use tkb, then immediately to pyro clip menace. Then I can sandwich in two thought bubbles and a few psychic shocks in there and I will try to get tkb off again right before menace comes off cool down. As menace has a 20 sec cool down and the enduring damagmod is for 20 secs. (And I think pyro is good for 20 or so as we'll)

Seems to work pretty well.

Mental 4 Eva!!
  17. 13igtyme Devoted Player

Pryo is two sets of 11 ticks. Counting the burst 12 seconds. Yes tb is 7 ticks. Don't worry about overriding the last few dots. On tests with sparring targets I've noticed the last few have less bas damage, plus the initial burst of the recast is better anyway. And though you never mentioned MT it last exactly half the cool down as menace. One reason why people clip with it.
  18. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

Yea been meaning to update a few things on here but have been busy with Summer classes, The Last of Us and actually playing DCUO...I intended to do all the updates at one time, but maybe ill start doing it piece by piece
  19. Psyfer New Player

Wanted to sign up and say thank you for all the advice in setting up my New Character. I started the game when it came out as an ICE DPS / Tank, I then really enjoyed my time as a Nature DPS / Healer.

I recently made the switch to mental after a brief break from the game and the guide and subsequent posts in this thread really helped me to make the transition and i'm enjoying mental after a few weeks in.

Thanks for taking the time...Keep up the good work
    • Like x 1
  20. VoZhD123 New Player