YodaDog's Guide for DCUO Terms & Acronyms

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by YodaDog, May 7, 2013.

1. YodaDog New Player

Ok, I got this thing reposted properly now with room to expand. Please feel free to add any suggestions or corrections below.

Cheers!

[IMG]DCUO Terms & Acronyms (Alphabetized)

A

Acro: Short for Acrobatics. One of the three movement modes available to characters in DCUO.

Add(s): An enemy NPC or Non-Player Character. Refers to lesser enemies as opposed to a "boss."

Afk: Away From Keyboard (In other words, afk means I'm still online in the game, but I'm away and won't be listening/responding to anyone until further notice.)

Aggro: Generic term, short for aggression (?), used to denote the "direction" in which enemies are attacking. Typically it is the job of a tank to "draw aggro", meaning to draw their attention away from the "weaker" characters such as controllers or healers.

AH: Auction House. Located in central locations in both the Watchtower and Hall of Doom. Commonly referred to as the "broker".

Alt: Short for alternate. Refers to a player's lesser used and younger characters as opposed to a player's "main" character.

AoE: Area of Effect. Refers to powers that have an effect over a certain amount of space around the caster, as opposed to other powers that specifically target enemies or allies.

B
    BC: Bat Caves. Usually referring to the three Bat Cave Tier 2 raids; Bat Cave: Sub Construct, Bat Cave: Outer Sanctum and Bat Cave: Inner Sanctum.

Brb: Be Right Back

Brt: Be Right There

Buff: A temporary effect which boosts a character's given stats for a short period of time.

C
    Camp: To stay in one location for a duration of time. Usually with the intention of gathering certain items or upgrades, or harassing the opposing faction in open world PvP phase.

CD: Cool Down. The time required before an identical power can be cast twice.

Clip(ing): The ability to cancel the animation of a weapon combo or power move early while still gaining the full benefit of said power or weapon combo. An in-depth topic, essential to maximizing damage output, it is deserving of its own guide. Fortunately, Omaar has us covered here: https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/omaars-weapon-clipping-guide.3403/

Crit: A critical hit/heal. These are randomly given during the course of battle and either provide extra damage to enemies, or extra healing to allies. The chances of receiving a "crit" and the magnitude with which they strike opponents/allies can be increased by allotting skill points into these areas.

CC: 1. Crowd Control. Refers to the abilities to stun, ground, encase nearby enemies. One of the main jobs of any character in the controller role.
    2. Central City

CR: Combat Rating. Refers to an aggregate average of the Item Level of a character's armor and weapons both on their person and in their inventory. NOTE: Does NOT refer to the skill or acumen of a given character in combat.

D
    DD: Damage Dealer. Refers to a class of characters in DCUO whose main focus and job is to deal out maximum damage. Often referred to as DPS, which is a misnomer.

DPS: Damage per Second. Refers to how much damage is/can be dealt over a second of time. Commonly refers to the Damage Dealing class in DCUO.

Debuff: Any power or effect thereof which weakens/lessens certain stats of enemies/allies/self for a short time.

DoT: Damage Over Time

F
    Farming: To gather currency or premium items in-game by repeating a set process over a duration of time.

FOS: Fortress of Solitude

G
    Gank: To kill a single player with a medium to large sized group. A common practice that is, nonetheless, generally frowned upon by a large contingent of the DCUO playerbase.

GLF: Group Looking For..

Gtg: Watch for context. Means either "Good to go" meaning, "I'm ready." Or it can also mean "Got to Go", as in I've got to leave right now. Later.

H
    HL: Hard Light. One of the four controller powersets available to the DCUO playerbase.

HoT: Heal Over Time

I
    IIRC: IF I Recall Correctly

Inv: Invite

Irl: In Real Life

K
    Khan: Short for Khandaq; a Tier 2 raid.

L
    Lfg: Looking For Group

LoA: League of Assassins. A Tier 3 Alert.

Loot Locked: A player is "loot locked" when he has already completed a particular instance and then runs the same instance again without waiting for it to reset or forcing a reset with replay badges. A loot locked player will not be able to see or roll on any items that drop during the instance, and will not gain any additional marks for its completion.

LoS: Seldom used term, short for Line Of Sight. Bear in mind that healers and trolls cant give health or power around corners. LoS is important.

LSOD: Loading Screen of Death. Colloquial term for going into a loading screen and getting stuck there. A common occurrence that is quite annoying, forcing a player to reload the game.

M
    MMORG: Massively-Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. DCUO is, of course, an MMORG.

Mod: 1. A moderator. Usually referring to the moderators who enforce the SOE Terms of Service agreement here on this forum.
    2. Also refers to Research and Development tokens that can be slotted into a character's gear, granting extra stat-boosts or abilities.

N
    Nerf: Refers to a weakening of certain aspects of a powerset or weapon. The term carries a negative connotation which implies that the weakening of the weapon or power at issue was unnecessary or unwanted.

NPC: Non-Player Character (aka computer controlled enemies)

O
    OP: 1.Over Powered. Refers to anything (weapons, consumables, powers, powersets..) in-game that is considered too strong and out of balance.
    2. Strictly used on the forums, OP is short for Original Poster or Original Post. It can refer to either the post that started a new thread, or the author of that post.

OMW: On My Way

OTW: On The Way
    • Like x 15
  2. YodaDog New Player

P
    PBG: Short for Prime Battleground; Tier 4 raid and final chapter in the Brainiac storyline. Also commonly referred to as "Prime."

PI: Power Interaction

PoT: Power over Time

Proc: Proc refers to the special bonus benefit of certain gear/mods/weapons/powers, such as the promethium lockbox necklaces, FoS3 necklaces, Home Turf mods or Central City weapons. Really any piece of gear that has a "random chance upon hit" process. When a controller wearing a FoS3 necklace gets hit by an attack, he has a chance to have power restored to himself or perhaps his whole party. When that happens, it's called a "proc".~Special thanks to AkikoTsunami.

PST: Please Send Tell

PuG: Pick Up Group. Can be used as a verb, meaning to que into an instance solo or join a random group, as opposed to joining a group of friends or leaguemates.

PvE: Player versus Environment

PvP: Player versus Player

Q

Que: The act of of using the On Duty tab to get into instances. Both a noun and a verb, one can "que" into an instance, whereby as one waits, they are considered to be "in a que."
    QQ: Though the origin of this symbol is disputable, I and others believe it derives from a likeness of two eyes crying. Regardless of the source of its usage, QQ is shorthand for "crying" or complaining in an obsessive or unwarranted manner.

R
    Regen: Short for regenerate or regeneration. Used as a verb, it refers to replenishing a depleted health or power bar.

Respec: Refers to a reallocation of Skill Points. This can be done in the Pit in the Hall of Doom or in the Watchtower Arboretum.

S

SF: Speed Feat

SP: Skill Points. Skill Points are acquired through the achievement of feats. Feat points grant a certain number of feat points: either 10, 25 or 50. The acquisition of 100 feat points will grant a character one new Skill Point.

SS: 1. Super Speed. One of the three movement modes available to characters in DCUO.
    2. Suicide Squad: An option given to players running PvP instances, wherein to decrease wait times, a player may be put with either faction, villians or heroes. This option may be turned off under your settings menu.

T
    T1, T2, T3, T4 (and T5!): T is short for Tier. The different tiers can refer to either different levels of armor/weaponry or the level of difficulty for particular instances.

TGTG: Then Good To Go. A variation on GTG or Good to Go, it indicates that a group needs just one more a particular role and then the group is ready to go into their desired instance.

Troll: 1.Short for a Controller. This is a type of character in DCUO that has the unique ability to control crowds, as well as feed power to the group. It does not refer to your PS3 remote control.
    2. A mythological creature that lives under a bridge and eats children. This term may be used as an analogy for someone who says or does things with the direct intention of eliciting an emotional response from someone else without provocation.

V

Vit: Short for Vitalization. A character stat/trait pertaining mostly to the Controller class, indicating the amount of power out a character can give with the appropriate power moves.

W

Walk-In: A walk-in occurs when one or more group members are unable to que up for the desired instance in their On Duty tab, due to failing to meet the CR requirement. Some instances have portals in the Hall of Doom, Watchtower and open world, allowing groups to "walk-in", bypassing any requirements for queing.

Wipe: A wipe occurs when the entire group you are with is KO'ed. If the group leader asks the group to wipe, he is asking that you stop trying to win and just die as fast as possible, allowing the group to reset fully without wasting time unnecessarily.

WTT: Willing/Wanting to Trade

WTS: Willing/Wanting to Sell

[IMG]
    • Like x 12
  3. YodaDog New Player

[IMG]
    Earth

BG: Brick Golem

CG: Crystal Golem

DF: Debris Field

DS: Damage Shift

EG: Earthen Grip

GS: Gemstone Shield

LT: Localized Tremor

MS: Meteor Shower

PB: Pebble Blast

RC: Rumble Crush

SB: Sandblast

SS: Striking Stones

TB: Tectonic Break
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [IMG]
    Electricity

AL: Arc Lightning

BC: Bio-capacitor. Commonly referred to as "bio-cap" or just "cap".

EB: Electrostatic Bomb. Commonly referred to as "bomb".

EG: Electrogenesis

GT: Group Transducer

ID: Ionic Drain

MV: MegaVolt

SB: Spark Barrage

SP: Static Push

Surge: Shortened term for Bioelectric Surge

TB: Seldom used. Can refer to Tesla Blast or Tesla Ball, with the latter being far more common.

VB: Voltaic Bolt
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [IMG]
    Gadgets

AG: Asphixiation Gas

BB: Bunker Buster

Dart: Sleep Dart

Decoy: Holographic Decoy

Defib: Defibrilator

Drone: Battle Drone

FG: Fear Gas

Field: Cryo-Field

Foam: Cryo-Foam

GG: Gauss Grenade

NG: Napalm Grenade

NN: Neural Neutralizer

PB: Photon Blast, also commonly referred to as just "Photon"

SF: Stasis Field

Shield: Energy Shield

TP: Taser Pull

TM: Thermite Mine, also comonnly referred to as just "Mine"

Turret: Suppressor Turret

VC: Vortex Cannon

[IMG]

HARD LIGHT (Special Thanks to Omaar. Please refer to his guide for further explanation of these acronyms...https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/omaars-hl-dps-guide.69/ )

C: Claw

CS: Chain Saw

FFF: Frankenstein Full Frontal (Combo)

GH: Grasping Hand

HC: Hold Claw

LB: Light Barrier

LW: Light Weight

NCN: Nem Chupacabra's Nuke (Combo)

PT: Phantom Triangle

SR: Strafing Run

ST: Snap Trap

WCS: Warlan Cold Snap (Combo)

WT: Whip Thrash

[IMG]

ICE (Special Thanks to Radium)

AG: Arctic Gust

Boulder: Ice Boulder

BW: Bitter Winds

CS: Cold Snap

DF: Deep Freeze

FB: Frost Blast

FR: Freeze Ray

FS: Frost Snipe

FW: Freeze Wave

GF: Glacier Flash

IB: Ice Bash

IE: Ice Elemental

II: Impaling Ice

IS: Inescapable Storm

RG: Resonating Gale

SB: Snow Ball

SD: Snow Devil

SR: Shatter Restraints

WT: Wintry Tempest

WW: Winter Ward

[IMG]

Nature (Special thanks to Sore)

Bird: Pterosaur Form

Bug: Insectoid Form

CP: Cross Pollination

Dog: Canine form.

HM: Hive Mind

Metab: Metabolism (more rarely Meta)

Regen: Regeneration

SG: Savage Growth

SS: Swarm Shield (less commonly abbreviated due to the prolific usage of the acronym for Super Speed)

VL: Vine Lash

Wolf: Primal Wolf form
    • Like x 3
  4. YodaDog New Player

[IMG]

MENTAL

BB: Bolt Barrage

HV: Horrific Visage

MH: Mass Hysteria

ML: Mass Levitation

MT: Mass Terror

PE: Psychic Empowerment

PF: Phantom Flames

PR: Psychic Resonance

PS: Psychic Shock

RP: Reflect Pain

TB: Thought Bubble

TK: Telekinesis

TK Bolt: Telekinetic Bolt

TK Push: Telkinetic Push

TK Shield: Telekinetic Shield

TT: Terror Tendrils
    • Like x 4
  5. YodaDog New Player

[IMG]
    Quantum

AW: Alcubierre Wave

Blast: Tachyon Blast

Bomb: Time Bomb

DW: Distortion Wave

CL: Closed Loop

EE: Energy Expulsion

EH: Event Horizon

ER: Einstien's Ray

GB: Gravity Bomb

GF: Gravitonic Field

GW: Gravity Well

IW: Inspiral Waves

QT: Quantum Tunneling

TB: Tachyon Burst, Time Bubble

TE: Temporal Extortion

TS: Time Shift

TV: Temporal Vortex

WB: Warp Barrage

WR: Warped Reality
    • Like x 3
  6. YodaDog New Player

*reserved*
    • Like x 4
  7. Dephyre Committed Player

Nice work, this is sure to help new players learn the lingo.
    • Like x 1
  8. YodaDog New Player

Thx! Power-specific Acronyms, sorted alphabetically and by powerset, Coming Soon! XD
    • Like x 1
  9. Dephyre Committed Player

sweet looking forward to finished list, and i'l link it to my league and alliance sites
    • Like x 1
  10. Deviant New Player

A couple of numbers I use and see...

Acronyms
    AH: Auction House; aka Broker
    GLF: Group Looking for...
    LSOD: Loading Screen of Death
    OMW: On My Way
    TGTG: alternative to GTG; Then Good To Go, informing prospective PUGs that their group is nearly completely formed and need just 1 or 2 more of requested roles

Terms:
    Breaking group: Informing group members that they need to dissolve the group, usually for bug glitches of some sort.
    Inv/Invite: Asking for invite to the group
    Lead: Asking for group leader role, commonly to add a friend or league mate to the group; common courtesy is to give back lead to the initial player
    Loot Locked: Unable to roll on group loot
    Speed run: When forming groups and informing PUGs they're trying to achieve the speed feat for said instance
    Vit(?): Term used between Trollers asking what is their total amount of Vitalization, when considering who should throw out POT
    Walk in: Informing the group to walk into an instance that has a tele-porter
    Wipe: Stop, take damage so that the group can restart the battle with a fresh start
    • Like x 1
  11. YodaDog New Player

Excellent suggestions man. Im a little overwhelmed between work and t5 excitement, atm... But I will get back here and get this thing updated soon. Thx for the feedback!
  12. NoobishGuy New Player

dear frens what is Pi, Proc
  13. Katheryne New Player

PI means Power Interaction

Not sure of Proc. Unless you mean Prec which means Precision.
  14. Xainexus Well-Known Player

Might want to add LoA (League of Assassins) to your list.
    Helpful list. +1
    • Like x 1
  15. JustSome_Chick New Player

Ok PI got answered - what is PP, and what is "clip" and "jump clip" please? I'm pretty new, been playing Quantuma nd have gotten to level 17 on my own, using CC heavy tactics but I need to start grouping. So I've been reading Quantum guides and I don't know half of what's being said for the terms lol. THANKS :) (SSpeedster - implying what that i should have super speed as my movement power? but what if i love flight.. lol)
    • Like x 1
  16. Doctor Erevos Committed Player

Clip is cancelling an animation with something else. For example activating a power into another power to make gameplay faster, or doing a weapon combo into a power, and then activating a trinket, or drinking a cola. Jump clip is doing the same but jumping instead. For example activating a power, then jumping immediately. Clipping is useful to save time. Every second counts when running content. Especially the hard ones. :)
    • Like x 1
  17. JustSome_Chick New Player

So you can activate a power then cancel the animation but still have the power go off? (i have one power that is annoyingly slow ont he animation, keeps messing up my timing lol)

Thanks!
  18. Doctor Erevos Committed Player

Yup! For example with Sorcery, Soul Well takes painfully long to be up so I activate Boon of Souls right after. So I have my well, and my shields up fast. Or with Gadgets I can go Gauss Grenade > Napalm Grenade > Photon Blast > Jump Clip > Weapon combo and all my debuffs (status ailments) will be up. There are plenty of guides here that go into detail or you can experiment yourself to see what can be clipped.
    • Like x 1
  19. AkikoTsunami Committed Player

Proc refers to the special process of certain gear, such as the promethium lockbox necklaces, FoS3 necklaces, or Central City weapons. Really any piece of gear that has a "chance upon hit" process. When a controller wearing a FoS3 necklace gets hit by an attack, he has a chance to have power restored to himself or perhaps his whole party. When that happens, it's called a "proc".
    • Like x 1
  20. NoobishGuy New Player

Thank you men..

Hopefully these will be put in the original post list