Legendary Membership

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by PredicateOne, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Madholm New Player

I don't disagree, but you aren't getting anything of actual value for your subscription at this point.

You are literally paying them money to be lazy, much like how I pay the lady that cleans my house or the lawn company that cuts my grass.

My big issue isn't with how you spend your money; hell donate directly to the developers paypal accounts for all I care.

My issues with the developers is beyond just a single payment imbalance. They are doing something that no 'game' developer should ever do; allowing you to BUY an advantage. When is the last time you played a 'game' like pool with a friend and were like, "I'll give you $20 bucks to let me have ball in hand every shot." Never, because 'games' are meant to be competitive by nature.

My analysis of the horrible value offered by subscriptions is that if you are one of those 'cheater' types then the subscriptions is not offering you the best bang for your buck. If you are going flat out pay for an advantage; be fiscally responsible about it, because you certainly aren't being competitive about it.

At least there is someone else here with the brains to figure it out. Unlimited escrow is far cheaper when needed than paying for unlimited escrow at $10-15 a month ($120-180 per year). That is a huge problem and has substantially diminished the value of subscription.
  2. RapidRay Committed Player

1: None of us know why or by what circumstances everyone playing DCUO decides what subscription level they have. We are ALL on the outside looking in from a light year away with blindfolds on. In regards to their subscription level is, it's up to them. There is no right or wrong.

2: They only thing we DO know is what our own circumstances allow. Those can change. Lose a job and have to drop your Legendary sub to cut a few corners in your budget til you get another job. Don't play long enough to justify the Legendary, but do play enough to buy a couple of DLCs and become Premium. Drop the game entirely for several months for any number of personal reasons and your sub runs out

3: Anyone who's been here since launch has seen people just leave or lower their subscription level because they got tired of the grief from Update 3, losing their name during the transition to Megaservers, ongoing technical issues, were upset by changes to their powersets, PVP mechanics being added to PVE NPCs and bosses, etc. People have stayed or raised the level of their subscriptions for any number of reasons...money they can carry, cost effectiveness of buying only DLCs if they don't play often...the lists are endless on both sides of the paper.

I don't have a degree in anything, but I DON'T pretend to know how many people are playing this game and the how or why ANY OF THEM chose their subscription level or to remain FTP. What I do have is the courtesy not to argue with them. Truthfully, even if I did for some inane reason, it would be pointless...because I'm on the outside looking in like everyone else.
    • Like x 1
  3. The Jeff Well-Known Player

How exactly does legendary give you an advantage in the game? I still have to queue for instances, I don't get free gear, I don't get to skip trash and go straight to a boss. My wife and I both have subscriptions and the approx. 20$ per month combined it costs us for unlimited play time is less than we spend on a decent meal or a night out at the movies. Dollar for dollar, subscribing is a fantastic entertainment value and I'll pay for convenience, the same as I pay more for a soda at a gas station because it's more convenient than going to a grocery store.

You really want a game where you can buy an advantage, there are plenty of pay to win games out there, DCUO isn't one of them.
    • Like x 4
  4. BigBadRon Well-Known Player

And I don't actually care about your analysis. My analysis (which takes into account how much enjoyment I'm getting out of the game, and a heap of other personal factors - which, frankly, you know nothing about) tells me that paying for a sub is the way for me to go. So you play your way, and I'll keep playing my way, thanks.
    • Like x 4
  5. Madholm New Player

I don't have a problem with subscribing to the game or it's cost as I spent 3 months worth of subscription tonight just to meet a good friend for beers (and I'd still say it was a 'cheap' night out).

I'm simply stating fact that the money you spend as a 'premium' player allows you to buy more advantages (replay tokens) than a subscription. Since most people burn through replay badges like crazy, it's cheaper to do it as premium. Personally, I'd rather jerk off with a cheese grater than give SOE money for replay badges because I loathe their existence.
  6. Madholm New Player

Good for you dude, but you are missing the point.

I have a lifetime sub and I have legendary forever, but it still doesn't stop me from realizing that subscriptions aren't worth the money when the clear goal of the developers is to get you to purchase replay badges.

I'd much rather this game were subscription only and run like a proper MMO. Replay badges have no place in an MMO where lockouts exist purely for the good of the game.
  7. The Jeff Well-Known Player

You may or may not realize this but there are other companies that make MMOs. Either you don't hate SOE at all and are just trolling or you're a masochist and considering the cheese grater comment, I would be inclined to the latter. I don't get the hatred for SOE, they make a decent product at a decent price. It's their game, their rules, their subscription model. If you don't like it, assemble a development team, artists, engineers, marketing, writers, etc., etc., etc. and make your own. There's even an open source MMO out there, Google it.
    • Like x 1
  8. Black House New Player

Yep I am getting the same feeling that you are, this guys is in multile threads flogging the same dead donkey, it boggles the mind to think that people will invest this much time and energy doing something they hate..
    anyway here is some real maths to brighten your day/night (depending on time zone)
  9. Statman New Player

Can't put a single number on each persons individual opinion of the value of Legendary, Premium or even f2p.
  10. Madholm New Player

The ONLY reasons I play (or want to play) DCUO is for the combat system and because it's the DC universe. I have not once gone into a raid here and been blown away by the difficulty (excluding what's currently on test, as it's actually pretty challenging). I have not once found the new ELO matchmaking on par with similar systems in other MMOs.

I'm a big fan of competitive PvP, so I came back for the 'improvements' they were making to PvP. Sadly, they were not that impressively implemented and were geared almost entirely towards selling replay badges; which to me ruins the entire concept of competitive PvP.

I have no opinion of SOE other than this game because I've played their other games for less than 3 months combined. As for finding another MMO to play; GW2 offers actual world pvp, WoW offers actual ELO matchmaking arena combat and Wildstar looks very promising in general. No need to start my own development team or find a publisher as there are plenty of developers creating games they would want to play.
    • Like x 1
  11. BigBadRon Well-Known Player

That, of course, assumes that I actually use replay badges - I don't, so it's irrelevant in my case.

And you're missing the point that I don't actually care about your point. As far as I'm concerned, paying the little cash per month for the amount of entertainment I get from this game is worth it. In the same way that paying to go and see a movie is worth it, even though seeing it doesn't actually benefit me in any tangible way.

There is more value to the game, IMO, than the mere monetary value that is attached to the account benefits. Just as there is value attached to seeing a movie far beyond any possible financial benefit.

No offence, but when I want advice from an accountant (or a lawyer, or a doctor), I'll actually pay for it - and I won't pay for his advice on whether I should go see that movie or not.
  12. BigBadRon Well-Known Player

But... but... those have no monetary value! :eek:
  13. Madholm New Player

When the game went free to play, they actually did cease to have any monetary value.
  14. Nodens Dedicated Player

Nah, I've been reduced to premium twice, and thoroughly hated it. I've found Legendary far preferable to free or premium.
  15. neptunesBeard New Player

You would be paying more to buy unlimited escrow for less features and for less time than you would for one month of legendary.
    Lock boxes, trading cash, free loyalty points and replay badges every month - 15$.
    28 day unlimited escrow, NO trading cash, no lock boxes, no loyalty points, no badges - 30$
  16. Brit Loyal Player

I am subscribed on the annual plan.

My son has his account on Premium status. He buys the WalMart Station Cash cards (1500 Station Cash for $10), then redeems them on double or triple Station Cash weekends (3000 - 4500 Station Cash per $10). He spends about the same amount of money as me ($10 per month). He gets a ton more value for his money.

With his 12000+ Station Cash each year, he gets all the DLCs, and basically Replay Badges and Power Respecs as often as he wants. He uses the workaround for cash the majority of the time, but now with unlimited Escrow, he unlocks his cash perhaps one week out of every month or two and burns it all down by making all of his purchases at once. And in the end, he gets to keep everything he has spent money on.

With my own investment, I get less than 25% of the Station Cash that he does, which equates to less than 25% of the Replay Badges, Power Respecs, fancy new styles, trinkets, etc. But in contrast, I get an extra 10 character slots... which I don't use because the game is totally unfriendly towards alts. But I get unlimited cash cap... for my 32 million dollars that I don't use because almost nothing is tradable and I finished collections back in 2011. But I get free DLC... if your definition of "free" is paying $15/month instead of $10 as a one time payment. But oh! I get lockbox keys! Unlimited Promethium keys... except I haven't got a new style or useful item from those boxes in over 8 months. In fact, as a Healer I can't even use the sodas because the ATK is for DPS and the AUX has inferior Resto to my Nutri IV plan.

Basically, if a player intends on spending $15/month on the game, they are almost universally better off spending it on Station Cash than they would be on the actual sub. Making the a la carte purchases will give you more for your money than the Legendary Package, because the Legendary Package includes of ton of stuff as part of it's "value" that sees little to no use. Legendary is obviously better than being Premium in the "I spent $5 ever" club, but Legendary loses when compared to equal investment of money put straight to the Marketplace.

Want to know why I stay subbed? One reason only. Essentially blackmail. After over two years of non-stop sub, never dropping for even 1 day, if I tried to slip down to Premium like my son maintains, I would immediately lose all my DLC and have to shove another $70 into replacing them. Every time I look at the sub and I consider cancelling, I remember that $70 from this week's paycheck is still more of an ouch than $15, so I put off cancelling for just one more month. I am still very much convinced that the Legendary Plan needs something more added to it in order for it to be actually worth our while.
  17. Quantum Rising Committed Player

18. jack sparrow New Player

argh losing argument?! tis ok!

pull out internet credentials.

like a pirate boss.

legendary is awfully cheap aye matey? why me pirate rum cost more and lasts less.
    • Like x 1
  19. Eternity's_Girl Committed Player

Oh good lord some poor kid was trolled with bad info about Quantum and came here to get the facts. Instead of giving him the right info people start a dispute over the merits of membership :rolleyes:. Pick what fits you and leave others to what fits them.

To the Op Legendary gets full access to all DLC content so no worries you will get Quantum :).
    • Like x 1
  20. ZEUSofGODS Dedicated Player

Ur "actual data" will not show premium as a batter option.... Please show me this "actual data" u speak of... I believe overall legendary is the better option... I'm on the $30 for 3 mth plan... Lets see what this "financing degree" is worth... Or should that degree sit right next to my toilet like I believe it should, waiting for my next bowel movement.