Fireburst still doing both regular and interaction damage

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Drift Hazard, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I'm still seeing the regular damage alongside the interaction damage when I'm using it on burning opponents. I do have a proposed suggestion though. Instead of trying to remove the regular damage, the interaction damage can just be lowered to a point that all eight ticks match Frost Blast's.
  2. Canadian Justice Committed Player

Just logged out of test and from what I observed fireburst is not getting any extra damage. Everything I've seen has it pretty much right in line with frost blast.
  3. Ice Knight Well-Known Player

Please go and check again fireburst is still doing double damage while frost blast is not
  4. Wanning Comet Committed Player

Just came from test too, Fireburst is only ticking 4 times.

If it still splits as bad as it does on live, fireburst will be a worthless power. If the devs are intent on keeping the damage at the level it is now at, they need to make it an insta cast power and drop the modifier from 60 to 50 or 45.
  5. Canadian Justice Committed Player

Making both Frost Blast and Fireburst instant cast 50% buffs would be a good option in my opinion as well. In their current state the payoff is just far too low to justify their usage.
  6. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Did you guys try it on Burning targets? It's still doing 8 ticks for me.
  7. Wanning Comet Committed Player

Inferno to fw to fireburst, multiple times, everytime it only hit for 4 ticks.

I'll check again tomorrow when I'm not so tired, but I'm fairly sure it was hitting for 4 ticks.
  8. Canadian Justice Committed Player

Just logged out of test again with rather odd results. In my base when testing on the sparring target I get 4 ticks on burning enemies but when I tested on the sparring targets in the watchtower I get 8 ticks. Where was it you were doing your testing?
  9. BumblingB I got better.

The odd results continue. In my lair, I casted inferno>fw>fireblast on my test dummy, I got 8 hits. Then I did it again, and got 4 hits and all after that were 4. I went over to the chemoid near ace and consistently was getting 8 hits. This is very odd indeed.
  10. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

How odd, and yes I was doing it at the Watchtower.
  11. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Got a message from a PM since he can't post here. Here's what he thought:
  12. AIpha New Player

They need to fix that because I was doing testing on the dummy in my base cause the respec machine is so close and they let you out of combat more. But apparently they aren't reliable testing dummies.
  13. Solarstar New Player

Devs, you just made both Fireburst and Mass Detonation worthless powers.

Both Fireburst and Mass Detonation needed that massive damage so Fire DPS can remain a useful DPS Powerset due to its AoE Burst DPS onto multiple mobs. Now, due to the lack of any power interactions from DoT's of any sort and the sub-par damage both Fireburst and Mass Det. are doing onto mobs... Fire as a DPS Powerset is now utterly useless.

In short, the DoT's from Fire just do not cut it and Fireburst and Mass Detonation are now nerfed beyond compare; and if these changes stay... almost every Fire DPS will switch to a more competitive/clip-happy powerset so please, do not release GU 23 until you actually fix Fire's Burst AoE DPS. WIthout that massive burst from both Fireburst and Mass Det. via the Power Interactions and the amount of damage they can really do... Fire will become the garbage powerset no one will ever use.
    • Like x 1
  14. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

I'm still not sure why you people think fixing/nerfing one power will turn Fire into a garbage power. Fire still has 23 other powers to choose from, not counting Iconics and Movement mode powers. I mean, have you actually tried Detonate's new fast casting animation? Or how about Spontaneous Combustion's new ability to spread an equivalent of Fireball's damage without fear of damage splitting? Has anyone actually noticed Inferno now causes burning even if they had left the original area of effect? What about Meteor Strike no longer hindering potential DPS due to LoS issues?

I swear, you people should just stop playing at all. All you care about is being the best at everything. I'm sorry but we can't have everything. You might as well have no powers at all, except one and has only a single skill called the Nuke button which lets you win everything at every time it is used. No cast time, no delay, no power cost. Just press that button and it's a win mode for everyone. Which is boring.
    • Like x 2
  15. Solarstar New Player

I've noticed Inferno's new burning effects and I have tried the DoT method while using either Fireburst and Mass Det. Guess what, I'm not pleased with the overall result of the nerfs pertaining to Fireburst and Mass Det. The DoT's are a step in the right direction, but removing the PI for both Fireburst and Mass Det. just killed those two powers which specifically depend on PI's for their added AoE Burst Damage.

Sorry, but AoE Burst DPS can be beat by clip-happy DPS who look like Mexican Jumping Beans when cancelling out their Weapon Combo.

If I wanted to place DoT's on mobs... I'd be Electric (... and gee, it looks like I'll be going electric once more since those DoT's actually work).

Sorry if I'm just utterly PO'd, but you can't blame me.
  16. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Mass Detonation didn't get a change aside from visuals. Fireburst's PI also didn't get removed. It's (supposed to be) weaker than what it is right now on Live but it still deals good damage on a number of opponents, and even better than Telekinetic Bolt.

Also consider that DoTs are, well, DoTs. It's expected that DoTs should have less damage per tick than burst damage. When a power like Gadgets spam Gauss Grenade all over again, it's only obvious that he'll get a higher damage output than you will per second because GG's damage is naturally high. What's more, if you use a cast time power, you will feel like you are lagging far behind, especially when compared to the sheer speed of Gadgets. What you don't realize is that Fireburst's PI damage is (supposed to be) roughly four times the damage of GG's damage. And Fireburst has a 3-second cast time. By comparing it to GG + Cryofield, Inferno + Fireburst actually still wins in damage output even in its (supposedly) "nerfed" state.

And I think I know what your real problem is. The reason you're so upset isn't because Fire is a subpar power when its best powers are nerfed. No. The real reason is because Fire lacks the fluidity of Gadgets and HL have.
  17. Solarstar New Player

Wrong... fire's fluidity was always in it's burst AoE DPS. Always has been, always will be.

Take that away and what do you get? A poor copy of Electric DPS.

Yes, DoT's are supposed to tick and net you low damage, but the PI for Fireburst on multiple mobs is sub-par and nearly non-existent.

For example, before this nerf, if you used Fiery Weapon, then Inferno to get the PI going, then Fireburst lets say 10 targets... you just dealt heavy damage to each one because with the PI and the Crit Buffs Fiery Weapon provides, Fireburst just net you aprrox. anywhere from a combined 3k - 10k per 6-8 hits that Fireburst does with each of those 6-8 hits blasting at each target for approx. 300-1k plus.

Currently on the Test Server, same thing... but now Fireburst just hit those same 10 mobs for what... 900-1000 damage combined (normalized) per 6-8 hits with PI (90ish - 100+ per each Fireburst hit). That means that per each of those 10 mobs you hit from each hit of Fireburst, you just hit each one for approx. 100 damage per each Fireburst hit. In short, the damage got nerfed... it's true power in its burst AoE DPS is virtually gone and the powerset's true strength is now gone as well.

Mass Det. currently, I'm doing good damage on multiple mobs via Fiery Weapon and PI from Inferno (anywhere from 1.5k - nearly 5k plus). Mass Det. on the Test Server... same exact nerf (damaging multiple mobs for what... 1.5k at the most?!).
  18. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Not remotely close to what I said. What I meant by fluidity is the speed and ability of one powerset's rotation to go from one power to another. In other words, clipping ability. Gadgets have a lot of things that can clip and cancel. Fear Gas, while technically not generally used to clip, is jump cancellable, allowing it to quickly combo into other powers. Gauss Grenade has always been fast and didn't really need a power to clip it. Intimidate can not only clip powers, but it can proc off of them as well. When Gadgets uses all these tricks at a small period of time, you'll find that he'll be rotating his powers faster than you can stack DoTs with Fire.

To contrast, Fire has three, four or five DoT power stacking abilities but none of them can clip (except through Fiery Weapon) or can be jump cancelled. Fire looks and feels sluggish by comparison, especially if you use cast time powers in the rotation.

The other problem is the fact that you are expecting to deal so much damage to such a huge amount of enemies at the same time. You can't expect a power not to split when faced with multiple opponents, and that's just the biggest problem fire has. With so many attacks that do AoE damage, almost everything Fire can do splits on everyone including enemies you don't need to hit.

It's not like Fire has tricks on keeping your intended target from taking the full damage though. I just learned that Overheat actually did split damage on its aura, but not on its target. The target's damage is taking is always the full damage Overheat can do. The damage is still quite low though, but it's definitely an advantage over using AoEs that split damage on every target. Another trick is using Spontaneous Combustion. The thing about it is that it has the ability to spread its mechanic on others, but the damage is limited to a single target, thus doesn't split. So even if it spreads on multiple targets, each of them will undergo the same process as if you just used it on a single target. If all else fails, Ignition tree has access to single target abilities. I mean really. What is Detonate for?
  19. Plutocracy New Player

Don't use Inferno to test Burning interactions on Sparring Targets, use Fireball. Use it once, let it run its course (sometimes the first Burning application will drop off early) to "prime" the target, then Fireball again and test normally. Fireburst is hitting Burning targets eight times. To test it with Inferno try one of city bounties since Inferno isn't sticking Burning to Sparring Targets reliably.

It's also worth noting that if you do combat log analysis, not to use the Home Turf Sparring Target Base Amenity, as it has less HP than the WT/HoD Sparring Targets, and most of the excess damage over its remaining HP gets truncated in the log (i.e. 1500 damage when it has 5 HP registers as 5 damage, more or less). If you notice large damage variances between tests (~25%) and a DPS ceiling of around 600-700, you're losing damage to this.
  20. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Thanks for that. I'll add the second paragraph on my warning regarding the sparring targets too.