[Guide] Terran Heavy Assault - What you need to know.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by BuzzCutPsycho, Mar 8, 2013.

1. BuzzCutPsycho

The purpose of this guide is to help you improve as a TR HA soldier. Nothing in this guide has to be taken as gospel and a lot of it is based on my opinion and what works for me.

BASICS

As a HA you will be making up the backbone of any infantry fighting force. You are capable of engaging both enemy infantry and armor and taking slightly more punishment than the other non-MAX classes. Your LMGs are superior to rifles and carbines in almost all aspects in the field while your AT weapons give you a reliable counter to any vehicle threat you encounter.

The ability to take on all threats comes at the cost of being dependent upon support. You will rely upon Medics for healing/revives and Engineers for ammo. Your rocket supply is limited and your LMGs will chew through ammo at an alarming rate so being part of a squad and working as a team with your fellow Terrans is going to be key here.

Your primary objective should be warding off and engaging enemy vehicles at any possible chance you get. This is your role and you excel at it. If no vehicles are in effective range you are obviously using your LMG to engage infantry. Do not get tunnel vision and focus solely on infantry if enemy vehicles are near because your faction is relying on you the HA to deal with the those specific threats.

CERTS

I view this to be mandatory to the successful play as HA. I've experimented with almost all of them and the ones listed below are the absolute best in my opinion.

FLAK ARMOR
    This is mandatory. At max level you will be reducing enemy ordinance damage by 50%. Please keep in mind that it will not reduce the damage taken from direct hits which means if you do get insta-killed by ordinance it was because the hit was direct. Given the proliferation of fragmentation grenades and various other vehiciular based ordinance you'd be stupid not to have it. Max this out first.

ADRENALINE SHIELD
    At max level you will restore 25% of your total NMG which means that at 4 kills you will be back at 100%. I fully recommend and use this because not only am I a competent killer I do not have the time to wait for NMG to fully recharge on it's own nor do I wish to deal with the bugginess of resist shield. This cert line is rather weak until max rank but when you get there it is very noticeable.

RESTORATION KITS
    I prefer restoration kits over medical kits because not only is the cert line cheaper but the heal over time can be used as both a reminder of your pacing and an offensive tool. Remember that full HP without shields means absolutely nothing and you will die near instantly so using the restoration kits will keep you in cover and remind you of this while healing. Additionally you can pop one of these before going into a room with an enemy to give you a very slight edge. Finally the restoration kits heal for ever so slightly more meaning that if you do get hit while your shields are down but you are healing you still have a chance to return to full HP without wasting another kit.

LIGHT MACHINE GUNS

As TR you really only have two viable options for LMG use and that's the TMG-50 and T32 Bull. The T9 CARV is a very limited weapon that only excels at close combat but you'll be wanting to use shotguns for that instead. Since the nerf to the T9 CARV and buff to shotguns I've changed my philosophy from "transitional weapons" to using the right tool for the job. This takes a bit of planning and access to a terminal but it ensures that whenever you're in the correct element you will be at an advantage over your enemies if they are using transitional weapons.

TMG-50
    MAX DAMAGE: 167 @ 10m
    MIN DAMAGE: 143 @ 75m
    VELOCITY: 615
    RATE OF FIRE: 577
    MAGAZINE SIZE: 75
    RELOAD: 4.233s / 5.098s
    RANGE: MEDIUM - LONG
    ATTACHMENTS: Compensator, Optic of your choosing, Forward Grip.

I prefer this weapon because it is hands down the best long range solution available to the TR HA. Keep in mind that the higher "first shot recoil multiplier" means that tap firing and resetting your bursts may lead to an increase in recoil but with practice you will be able to easily handle it.

Additionally the weapon does 167 base and 143 minimum which means at it's absolute weakest it is as damaging as a T32 Bull.

T32 Bull
    MAX DAMAGE: 143 @ 10m
    MIN DAMAGE: 125 @ 65m
    VELOCITY: 600
    RATE OF FIRE: 652
    MAGAZINE SIZE: 60
    RELOAD: 3.4s / 4s
    RANGE: SHORT - MEDIUM - LONG
    ATTACHMENTS: Compensator, Optic of your choosing, Forward Grip.

This is a transitional weapon and comes in second for me since it's very similar to the TMG-50 but with a few noticeable differences.

It does less damage per shot but gains a significant increase in ROF over the TMG-50. The weapon is also much more controllable due to less inherent recoil as well as a near non-existent first shot recoil multiplier. It will preform better at CQC than a TMG-50 but not enough to warrant using it over a shotgun. It's passable at range and allows for longer bursts but the damage drop off is much more noticeable.

Additionally the weapon does 143 base damage and 125 minimum which means at it's absolute weakest it is as damaging as a SMG.

SHOTGUNS

Shotguns in PlanetSide 2 are utterly devastating in close combat and when used correctly will quickly dispatch any enemy before they have a chance to react. Knowing which shotgun is best for you will come down to style and preference. Please note that I've used each of these weapons to 1,000 kills so I consider my knowledge on this to be superior to the knowledge of others.

AS16 Nighthawk
    Type: Automatic
    ROF: 300
    Velocity: 300
    Magazine: 6
    Reserve: 30
    Damage: 143x6
    Reload: 2.4s / 3.8s

The AS16 is the easiest of the shotguns to use due to it's fully automatic nature. Ammo will be an issue because not only do you fire quickly but your default ammo pool is rather low. This weapon will decimate anyone 10m and closer and is the undisputed champion of 2v1 CQC because this weapon really shines when you're taking on multiple targets at the same time. In addition this shotgun has the widest spread which means your aim doesn't have to be perfect to score hits.

I recommend this shotgun if you aren't comfortable using a pump or semi and just want to magdump people at close range.

FA1 Barrage
    Type: Semi Automatic
    ROF: 250
    Magazine: 6
    Reserve: 30
    Reload: 1.925s / 3.5s

The FA1 has a very fast reload and caters towards users with "reloaditus" - Additionally it has the a tighter spread than both the AS16 and TS4 which mans you can use it to ranges a bit longer than 10m. I don't particularly care for this weapon because the tight spread and fast reload is pretty irrelevant when taking into account the type of weapon it is.

I don't recommend using it because there isn't really anything special about it other than the reload.

TS4 Haymaker
    Type: Semi Automatic
    ROF: 250
    Velocity: 275
    Magazine: 8
    Reserve: 40
    Reload: 2.6s / 4s

The TS4 allows for some impressive kill streaks when used by capable players. It has the most ammo per mag of any other shotgun which means reloads are less frequent and maximum damage per magazine is way higher. It's pellet spread is in between the AS16 and FA1 which is (again) irrelevant due to the nature of the weapon. It'll out range the AS16 a bit but wont out range the FA1.

I don't recommend this shotgun because it's main selling point is extra ammo which isn't an issue in group environments. The potential to get higher skill streaks while fun isn't useful for anything other than making MLG-420 videos.

TRS-12 Uppercut
    Type: Pump Action
    ROF: 120
    Magazine: 5
    Reserve: 25
    Damage: 143x10
    Reload: 0.7s / 0.5s

The TRS-12 is the only shotgun in the game capable of delivering a OHK to the body. This is possible not due to extra damage but extra pellets per shot. OHKs will happen within 10m and below while 15m will take between 2 and 3 shots to kill depending on spread. In the hands of a skilled user this weapon is capable of clearing out rooms of lesser players. Moving fast and closing in quickly are especially important because missing your first shot could often result in you dying to any other weapon in the game.

I recommend this shotgun the most because it preforms exactly how a shotgun should and that's delivering massive damage in close combat. A skilled user need look no further for his/her CQC weapon of choice. Be warned that it's "active reload" system is clunky and at times infuriating but when you get used to it you'll be a killing machine.

ANTI-VEHICULAR WEAPONS

Strikers aren't out yet so we have to make due with what we've got. Since the Striker is around the corner I do not recommend purchasing a Grounder, SKEP or Annihilator and saving your certs/SC for the Striker instead.

ML-7
    DAMAGE: 1700
    VELOCITY: 115

The ML-7 is best used if you're solo or in close combat with enemy armor. If the tank has got into a position where it can be reliably hit with the ML-7 the ML-7 should be used due to it's damage.

NS DECIMATOR
    DAMAGE: 2000
    VELOCITY: 115

Does more damage than an ML-7. If you have this weapon use it in place of the ML-7 at all times.

If you have any questions post them here and I will respond when I can.
    • Up x 11
  2. Richard [PG]

You're recommending Adrenaline sheild? It's awful in 1v1 fights. Normally I'd respect your judgement, but as it is with a T32 Bull in CQC you need every advantage you can get. Resist shield full certs.
  3. Richard [PG]

Same with the medikit matter-yes, less certs but it's more worth it in the long run to get medikits, it's insta-heal.
    • Up x 1
  4. BuzzCutPsycho

Resist shield is stilled bugged and doesn't work as intended. Why fully cert something that is still bugged?

Also 1v1 fights? What game are you playing exactly? If you want to kit out for a "1v1" fight I suggest you get full Nanoweave, resist and a shotgun but make sure you setup some pre-match rules and ensure nobody interferes within your 1v1. Oh! Also, make sure it's in a Biolab that way no random aircraft come by and blow you apart with ordinance. Additionally you should make sure your opponent doesn't bring any sort of ordinance because it'll royally screw you over since you don't have flak armor on.

The fact that you are saying resist is better solely based on "1v1" is laughable at best. Let's entertain this silly notion of 1v1 combat (which does happen) and assume you've emerged victorious. You will come out at the very least 25% of your NMG already recharged due to you winning the battle which means your NMG is that much closer to being at 100%.

Did you not read the part about pacing, shields, etc? How about it healing for more than med kits at the cost of instant heal?

EDIT: Bull in CQC? Get real and use a shotgun.
  5. RomulusX

Good read. I don't play HA much, but I've been having fun with the MCG lately...might have to try out the LMGs again. I know HA is what you primarily play, but any chance future reviews of other classes will be coming shortly?
  6. MrBlazer

Does this only work for Terran?
  7. DuckSauce

Everything but the LMG recommendations are identical for Terran vs NC.

For the shotguns:
    Fill in "Mauler S6" for "FA1 Barrage"
    "Sweeper" for "TS4 Haymaker"
    "Piston" for "AS16 Nighthawk"
    "GD-66 Claw" for "TRS-12 Uppercut"

For the Launchers:
    Fill in "Shrike" for ML-7. Wait on other launchers until the Phoenix is released, it'll be like two weeks.

For the LMGs:
    The EM6 is almost identical to the TMG-50, but as a ranged LMG the NC6 Gauss SAW is superior. Use the SAW.
    The EM1 is almost identical to the T32 Bull, so if you want that kind of weapon go with that.
    • Up x 1
  8. Bucketmaster

Actually, while restoration kits might or might not be better for heavy assault (I play mostly medic, so I don't use med/resto kits), the restoration kits are in fact more expensive, taken that you max the cert line. Rank 1 restoration kits are cheaper (30 certs vs 50 certs), but rank 3 is more expensive (200 vs 150). Rank 2 and 4 are equally expensive for both kits.
  9. Avicii

Except, the EM6 is an inferior choice for NC over the Gauss SAW -- especially with the recent buffs it received as well as the much needed nerf to PS2's "flinch" mechanics. The NC suffered the worst from flinch due to their slower RoF but this has been greatly mitigated now and slow RoF/high Dmg weapons can viably compete.

The reason most Terran HA's use the TMG-50 is because it's the closest thing we have to the Gauss SAW -- the only 200 Max damage LMG in the game. Most NC will complain about the Gauss's recoil but in reality, it's just a harsh vertical up-vector that is easily compensated for by "pulling-down" as you shoot & burst. -- especially when you equip Adv. foregrip and compensator. The true achilles heel to the Gauss is CQC due to its slower RoF compared to the EM6 and other NC LMGs. However, like Buzz said, you should be using a shotgun in CQC anyway, so that disadvantage is a non-issue.
    • Up x 1
  10. DuckSauce

Except? That's exactly what I said.
    • Up x 2
  11. Suroped

Don't know what you are talking about. It takes from 1 to 2 seconds to kill any infantry guy in CQC. I would even use it as melee weapon if i could. NC6 simply radiates with epicness even this Nanite Systems shades can't save your eyes.
    Aside from that SOE does a great job with guns.
    [IMG]
  12. Zaik

The MSW-R looks objectively better than the T32 Bull, why do you prefer the Bull?

We have a weapon that is fairly similar to the T32(EM1), it's widely considered the worst NC LMG. It at least has a 100 round magazine, the Bull doesn't even have that.
  13. BuzzCutPsycho

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...LMG&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Compare the EM1 to the T32 and pay attention to the recoil differences.

The T32 is just flat out more accurate/controllable and in my opinion a better weapon than the EM1.
  14. CaligoIllioneus

Buzzcut, what do you think of the Mini Chaingun? Any tips for its use?

Also, great thread.
  15. BuzzCutPsycho

Until that ridiculous spin up time is removed it'll always be inferior. As it stands now 750+ ROF / Shotguns will kill you before you can even spin up and fire the first shot.

Want to CQC? Use a shotgun. Don't try and use a LMG.
    • Up x 2
  16. Zaik

Those values are vertical only, that's counterable by dragging your mouse down. They both have a 0.2 horizontal recoil value as well.

You can find this for any weapon by looking it up in ClientItemDataSheet, like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ull&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Then, take the fire group ID and use it in the ID column of FireGroups, like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...257&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Lastly, take the primary fire mode and use it in the ID column of FireModes, like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...492&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Over to the right near the end you'll find values for minimum and maximum horizontal recoil, they seem to always be the same. The recoil tolerance for the T32 seems to be lower than the EM1, however I have no clue what that number actually represents.
  17. Jimmydean

Thanks for the guide, Buzz. Maybe I will try some HA when waiting on my MAX timer ;)
  18. DuckSauce

Tolerance means max deviation from center; it's why you never see guns pulling left 7 times in a row. That would make the T32 Bull the more accurate weapon.

I know a lot of guys in my outfit like the Anchor (and dislike the EM1) for the role Buzz uses the T32 -- I just gave the direct 'translation' because the Anchor is more like our version of the MSW-R.

Honestly, as NC you're just as well off going Gauss SAW -> Shotgun as anything, you can throw the Anchor or EM6 in between if you have Station Cash or certs to throw around.
    • Up x 1
  19. Zaik

Yeah, that's specifically why I mentioned the MSW-R in the first post, seems objectively better. High first shot recoil multipliers on one sided horizontal recoil are a pain to learn, but once you do they seem to be flat out better weapons. Not to mention it has the same damage output as the CARV/Orion, although it's also limited by that magazine with that high rate of fire, but anyone in an organized outfit should have an engineer in every squad so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
  20. BuzzCutPsycho

The MSW-R is inferior to the T9 CARV so why use it? The loss of velocity and 50 less rounds for a weapon tailored towards CQC hip fire isn't worth it and that's why it was left off the list. You can get more out of a T9 CARV with HS/NV than you can with a MSW-R.

Getting back to the EM1 - The weapon has slightly less velocity, a higher first shot multiplier and an inability to attach a compensator. The T32 has a lower first shot multiplier, higher velocity and the ability to attach a compensator.

The T32 is not only the easiest to control TR LMG due to it's lower ROF but also the most accurate when used in practice.

Why are you even trying to debate this? The reason people don't suggest the EM1 for the NC is because you have the NC6 and EM6. Just because your garbage EM1 shares similar (but imo inferior) stats to the T32 doesn't make it a less valid choice for TR HA.

If the TR had access to an NC6 I'd recommend that over the TMG-50 seeing as how it'd be the ultimate long range solution while my Haymaker is short range solution.