Sudden crash to desktop with no error message

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ShoutokuLegend, Jun 21, 2013.

1. ShoutokuLegend

So far it has happened twice that the game just closes itself for no apparent reason. My brother was playing this game on that computer long before I started and has never had this problem so I think it might be something about the patch.

Is that really it? What can I do to fix it?
    • Up x 1
  2. NaniteSystems

Absolutely nothing. This error is something that is happening inside the game. Believe me when I say that almost everyone else playing this game [including me] are experiencing the EXACT same thing. It has something to do with the latest patch and SOE is the only one who can fix it. We are just gonna have to wait it out.
  3. AstroCat

Nothing can be done. It's the game, and you can not fix it on your end. Sorry I've tried it all on multiple systems. It has to be fixed by SOE, and so far they are not even addressing the issue.
  4. Resignation

Honestly...I just don't think they care. They're far too interested in doing balance changes, weapon tweaks, and adding in more stuff people can buy station cash for then they are in fixing game breaking bugs like this. Nothing pisses me off more than either getting a Galaxy or a tank and SECONDS later I'm looking at my desktop wallpaper screen...without even the pretense of giving me an error. And when I look at the game directory on my Windows 7 64-bit machine and see there's an outofmemory.txt file that was created only moments before it makes me flip my lid...since I have 32 GB of RAM. The game itself is SMALLER than the amount of RAM I have and I'm somehow running out? Is my 4GB 680GTX being overwhelmed by such a simple game when all others are not?
  5. TSR AlexS Customer Service

I'm sorry you guys are encountering these crashes. Please feel free to submit in a support ticket with both your Dxdiag/Msinfo so we can look for the cause of it.
  6. Zeewulf

No offence but these kind of reports have been going into SOE for MONTHS and every single time you guys come back with the same script, see quote above .....

People are getting REALLY tired of the same lame excuses you guys give for how the game runs which gets worse with each GU/Patch you bring out. But wait the GU/Patch has shiny stuff you can go buy, why would we want to fix the game when you can give us money ......

Just for information I stopped my monthly subscription and now your lucky to see me play once a week and all because your game just doesn't run after 6+ months of supposedly being out of Beta when nearly everyone told you it wasn't ready.

No doubt you'll give me a warning over this post but please don't insult our intelligence and try to make out this game runs all sweet and perfect.

And none of the above breaks your forum guidelines...
  7. Lazaruz

As I said in another thread:

It's been almost 8 months since the release of Planetside 2, and the game client still isn't stable. I think having a game client that doesn't randomly crash to desktop multiple times a day is fairly important if you want to be considered an AAA title. While watching the MLG Anaheim streams a couple weeks ago, I personally as a Planetside 2 player felt embarrassed when I saw the game crashing over and over during their streams. I can't begin to imagine how the dev/tech team doing the streaming were feeling... I don't know what chances the average user has getting the game to run properly, if the devs themselves are experiencing this in official promo events.
  8. Van Dax

It happened for the first time for me today. Quite odd.
  9. Resignation

I even monitored my RAM and VRAM usage. With 32 GB of RAM and a 4GB 680GTX I had 23 GB of RAM available and only 1400 MB of VRAM was in use...and I STILL get an outofmemory.txt. That's like putting a couch in an empty apartment and screaming out loud that you have no room left.
    • Up x 1
  10. Feydakin

Same here, crashing usually within 30 minutes of play, but it's not really something that I can track like that. It could happen immediately, or it could happen in 30 minutes. Every time it just closes the game, no error no nothing. Extremely annoying...
  11. Feydakin

In fact, just tried to log back in, inside of 3 minutes I crashed again... it's just not fun anymore.
  12. Resignation

One of the things that "cured" my crash to desktops (CTDs) was disabling my onboard sound cards and leaving only my ASUS Xonar Essence STX as the only one left. Notice I used quotation marks. I now get CTDs WITH an error message.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
    Application Name:planetSide2.exe
    Application Version:0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp:51dcc551
    Fault Module Name:planetSide2.exe
    Fault Module Version:0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp:51dcc551
    Exception Code:c0000005
    Exception Offset:0086c94a
    OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID:1033
    Additional Information 1:0a9e
    Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3:0a9e
    Additional Information 4:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Not that it helps much. It also still recreates another outofmemory.txt file each time. As a side note...I'm getting voice chat stuttering too. Between yesterday and today (well...I haven't logged in yet TODAY but...) I haven't had a crash or voice chat stutter...but up to this point I have.

"Solutions" from SOE support, after submitting all the diagnostic files on the face of the planet, so far consists of:

1. Deleting certain files and using the game validation to restore them (I'd already done this as these files are listed in other posts and I've reinstalled from scratch)

PlanetSide2.exe
    UserOptions.ini
    SoundSettings.xml
    LoadingScreen.xml
    InputProfiles.xml
    vivoxoal.dll
    vivoxsdk.dll

2. Using MSCONFIG to disable all the startup items since that could have suddenly created an issue that didn't exist the month before (nothing aside from games have been installed in the past few months).

3. "I would also recommend researching about adjusting your swap file, it looks like you do not have a whole lot of space left on your SSD which may be the cause of the out of memory issues" As I understand it the pagefile in Windows is there to be an extension of system memory once that has been exhausted and there's still more resources the program needs. That being said, and as I've stated before, I have 32 GB of RAM. NOTHING GETS PAST THIS! I could completely eliminate my pagefile and Windows 7 64-bit could still chug along just fine. However since I make it a point to install as little as possible on my 120 GB SSD I still have a Windows managed pagefile because A: I'm not using the space anyways and B: again...nothing is using resources enough to even access it. So essentially I don't care about that space on the SSD. However, for the sake of argument, I now have 64 GB of memory at my computer's proverbial fingertips.

4. Make sure the appropriate ports in my router are open (since a month or two ago my game wasn't crashing like it was going out of style...but suddenly now it is...so of course the ports are a possible cause...somehow).

5. Make sure it's not the antivirus that's been ignoring every process concerning planetside2 from the very beginning.

6. Make sure I've downloaded the latest soundcard drivers (for my voice chat stuttering issue...and sure...I NEVER thought to check to see if I didn't have the latest drivers for my ASUS Xonar Essence STX four separate times...)

7. My print screen option doesn't work, despite remapping it's keybind, but they were skeptical of it not working for me.

Thus far I think they're going through some sort of flow chart. When it's not something they move to the next step in the flow chart. I think only after you've passed 50 or 60 spots in the flow chart will they start running out of ideas.
  13. DarkNeuron

Quick question:
    Does any of you guys have PhysX turned on?
  14. willowstyle

physx crash is immediate after some minutes of playing, this new "crash to desktop without error message" is another pb.
    occure randomly 10mn or 3 hours after launching the game.

tried to play in "very low" some days with my good config (i5@4.6 + 670 + 8go) but the pb allways occure.
    i could play a friday evening 4hours with massive battle without pb, and could got this crash at 4h am with nothing around me.
    very strange, not related to the charge of server or connection it seems.
  15. willowstyle

oh and SOE dont forget the classical "crash to desktop with error message" too ;)

so let's resume:
    -crash to desktop with no error message randomly
    -crash to desktop with error message randomly (appcrash)
    -physx crash the game after short time of playing
    -fps drop for approximatly 1mn (60->5) in some areas when heavy battle, must move elsewhere to get normal fps.
    -minimap and character lagging/flying (this bug seems repaired no?)

today 1 good player of my outfit left the game because of constant crashing, be happy to have addicted ppl like me to resist, but dont push too far.
  16. Resignation

I've never had it on.
  17. Mepper

18. Mepper

My specs:
    Intel core 2 quad (2.4Ghz)
    4GB Corsair 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 620 GT
    Windows 7 (32-bit, upgraded RAM, and don't bother to pay €80 for 0,5GB extra RAM.)

I know this is kind of a low end system, but it's enough to play the game on low at a decent frame rate.

I was having the same problem as everyone else here, game would crash every 5-15 minutes, no warnings, no errors, just straight back to desktop. But I did find a solution, found this, tried it, and played 2 hours today without crashing a single time :D

http://gamefixes.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/planetside-2-crashes-randomly/

I don't exactly understand what this fix does, but it somehow reserves more VRAM for you as user, and less for the OS itself. Although this site says this only works on systems with 4gb ram, and a 32-bit OS, I would assume something similar can be done for users with 64-bit systems and more RAM.

So I think the game is somehow right when it states it doesn't have enough memory, it just doesn't mean RAM, but the available amount of VRAM... I think....

I think you guys should start looking into this, hope this is the solution, so everyone can finally play this game uninterrupted by crashes :)

Good luck,
    Mepper
  19. willowstyle

can't understand ppl never crash on this game...

i have tried all options possible since beta.
    i had for 10 months: q6600+4890+4go
    and now for 1 month: i5+670+8go+ssd

i have allways crashed randomly on PS2 (sometimes 3 times in 1 hour, sometimes noproblem for 6 hours) changing config did nothing to PS2 crash. only common point is win7 64.
    and i have never crashed so much in any game solo or online.

dont remember if this crash to desktop without error message was present before.

played today 2hours + 3 hours without pb.
    last evening prime 3 crash.. losing 1 lib and 2 scythe..

so there are regular player who never never crash?
    config?
  20. Agorash

I'll share with you my experiment.
    With same hardware and software I changed my Nvidia GTX 680 drivers between 3 versions with 3 issues that the technical department has been unable to diagnose or repair.

With 314.22 I can play without crashes to desktop but sometimes I get a blackscreen and drop of fps. After investigate and do what I expect from that joke of tech support of SOE, the diagnose was a failure of nvlddmkm.sys, a problem that Nvidia has pronounced about but without an unique solution. All points to game client, of course, because I played for hours another different games without any issue. Nothing.

With 320.49 (latest at this moment) my crash comes in less than 5min of gameplay. Maybe after loading map, maybe while dropping pod, impossible to know. But it's a crash to desktop without message.

With 320.18 occurs same as 320.49 but with random factor. Maybe crashes after load a map, maybe crashes after playing for an hour.. who knows.

Of course I tested this 3 versions of drivers with other games without troubles. Here is a list of some of that games that not crash nor do strange things. Of course I don't play all of them, it's just crazy, but I can swear I launched and played it from 314.22 drivers to date, changing versions because of Planetside and none of them failed. Never.

Please note that many games I tagged with their development status because I repeat, no rare issues happened with none of them. If any of this game crashed, returned an error with details and usually had solved by a patch/hotfix from developer or upgrading nvidia drivers.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Arkham City
    Darksiders 2
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Dragon Age 2
    TES 5: Skyrim
    Hitman: Absolution
    Just Cause 2
    Sleeping Dogs
    Dota 2
    From Dust
    Magic: The Gathering - Duels of Planeswalkers 2013
    Might & Magic: Heroes VI
    Orcs Must Die 2
    Civ V
    Starcraft 2
    Total War: Shogun 2
    Chivalry
    CS-GO
    Crysis 2
    Metro 2033
    Sniper Elite V2
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
    Warhammer 40k Space Marine
    Age of Conan
    APB Reloaded
    Darkfall
    Defiance
    EVE Online
    Guns of Icarus
    Ace of Spades
    Arma 3 ALPHA BETA
    Castle Crashers
    Castlestorm
    Garry's Mod
    Starforge ALPHA
    Univers Sandbox
    War of the Roses
    Warframe
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Rogue Legacy
    Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    DC Universe
    Alien Colonial Marines
    Minecraft
    Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
    LOTR BFME 2
    Entropia Universe
    Jagged Alliance Online
    Riddick Chronicles: Dark Athena
    Diablo 3
    Tomb Raider
    Scribblenauts
    AOE 2 HD
    Magicka
    Age of Wushu BETA

The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot BETA
    The Sims 3
    The Witcher 2
    Surgeon Simulator
    SWTOR
    Simcity 5
    Bioshock Saga
    Firefall BETA
    Neverwinter Online BETA
    TERA
    Deadpool
    Call of Juarez
    7 Days to Die ALPHA
    Infestation BETA
    SWAT 4
    Path of Exile BETA
    X3 Reunion

I cannot play Planetside 2 with latest drivers because it crashes :)