Petition for Thermal Refund

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HELLHOUNDGRIM, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SolVector

From that standpoint, Thermal Optics no longer exist either and have been replaced with an item bearing a different name suited to a different purpose. The MAX charge being used to prevent death via escape vs the emergency repair being used to prevent death by providing bonus health is two abilities with different names doing different things toward the same end. Thermal Optics highlighted Infantry/Vehicles/Some Deployables at shorter range to make targeting easier vs Threat Detection highlighting vehicles and projectiles at longer range to make it easier to detect "threats".

In my mind the change in the optics has a greater impact on my gameplay than the MAX charge did as I only used it defensively and emergency repair remains defensive. The change in optics however has gone from an offensive role to a defensive one. This is speaking as a Sunderer driver/gunner rather than a pilot...
  2. Fishpoke

It's not a big deal the functionality changed.

It is a BIG deal that they did so and did not offer the choice to cert something different as this wasn't a cheap cert investment for most (see when it was 500 certs)
  3. SolVector

Agreed, I was simply pointing out that a refund is justified using the MAX charge situation as a reference for a similar scenario where it had been offered.
  4. outchy

This was a stupid move to nurf this and make yet another part of the game totaly useless. give us our certs back. better yet put back the thermal like it was before you broke it along with a stupid explanation. "we want player to hide under tree..." pfff

when i get someting broken in the mail i ask for a refund.

give me my certs back.

btw i cancel my subscription. you wont get money from me anymore.
    • Up x 3
  5. Fishpoke

Unsub is the only thing that will make them check their Egos.
    • Up x 3
  6. Hajakizol

Refunding certs I have no problems with. Thermal either needed range nerf or AA needed a massive buff ... Thermal change is about as big as the max charge removal was. The response to that from the community was basically get gud... Maybe they will rebalnce it better but time will tell.
  7. bwjinxing

The game isn't bright enough at 1.0, i cant adjust my monitor because then it will glare in my eye.

There are changes that could have been put forth that would have been a better alternative:

- Create a Suit Ability or Passive Cert that hides thermals
    - Separate the Thermals into two scopes: "Threat" Detection and Thermal Vision
    - Remove the thermals from Non-intended infantry killing weapons

ive recently just started running a Harasser with Kolbold that obliviously cant damage any armor. It now only highlights everything you CAN'T kill. This is an oversight honestly, this is why a refund is a fair request.
    • Up x 2
  8. Liewec123

exactly ;)
    it went from what was clearly the best AI option to being the literal worst thing you could equip when planning to play AI.
    really thought we'd get a refund for the tens of thousands of certs spent on it.
  9. Campagne

Well, not really in my opinion. The only mechanics MAX charge and emergency repair share are that they are both common pool abilities that require manual activation via the ability key.

The thermal optics nerf is more similar to if the Longshot/Parallax/Rams was nerf'd to no longer kill in a single headshot. The nerf would be massive detriment to the weapon, many players would be unhappy, usage would drop dramatically, and it would make the weapon different from what they were generally certed for in the first place. However, the mechanics would remain unchanged: It would still be a powerful long-range AI infiltrator weapon. As much as some players would want it, a refund request would be entirely baseless.

The same idea applies to the optics. Still works the exact same, just highlights other vehicles instead of infantry.

I'd also argue that a sight on a weapon is objectively neutral.
  10. LaughingDead

If you bought a sniper rifle for a specific reason to kill a guy with one headshot but they reworked it so now it takes 3 instead of 1 how is that not worth a refund?
    It was a deliberate move of the devs to screw AI vehicles in such a way that they lost certs, mocked that they want AI to fight vehicles and ultimately made a useless rework on an optic that many people bought for that exact usage.
    Taking something out of competitive play should be worth a refund imo, your example would be more viable on a libs dalton getting nerfed so that it does not have splash to kill infantry but can kill vehicles incredibly well, but the mechanics to the weapons have not changed, the optics have, thermals on a dalton lib in that example are still viable because you can scan for hidden vehicles from the air and watch out for infantry, however with this change they exclusively nerfed the thermals themselves on all weapons, your argument that they did not change the mechanics of the optics is flawed, people did not buy them for the mechanic of highlighting vehicles themselves, they bought it for the usage on a weapon.
  11. Eranorz

You could say that about literally every ability that ever got removed or drastically nerfed, yet cert refunds were nearly always given in those cases.

Thermals were removed, and instead of a cert refund, players were handed a renamed and utterly useless "replacement". "Threat detection optics"? If you say so. Not even remotely useful, vehicles were never hard to spot anyway.

Daybreak seems intent on alienating what's left of their dwindling player-base.
    • Up x 1
  12. Eranorz

You just contradicted yourself within the confines of a single sentence, and that takes talent. "Well it still works exactly the same, only it doesn't behave the way it used to."

*Dr. Evil voice*: "Riiiiight."

Are you sure you're not on the dev team? ;)
  13. gravedigler

huge waste of certs for something they just made useless - give my certs back! starting to wonder do the devs even play this game anymore?
  14. Eranorz

As for the petition itself

Signed.
  15. LaughingDead

They just play infantry, let's not kid ourselves.
  16. CaptCran

Then you need to adapt. Isn't that the VS way....... Vanu frowns upon your comment.
  17. CaptCran

Did thermals show cloaked infils???
  18. Campagne

Because the weapon would still function identically, and could still be a fairly serious threat out to long ranges. The only difference needed would be to reduce the headshot multiplier. Would I want a refund? Yes, of course! But I wouldn't expect one, as that's not how DBGs typically operates. Stuff gets over-nerfed all the time, but refunds are somewhat rare in comparison.

The whole thing is a dick-slap to be sure though.

The mechanic I'm referring to is the "highlighting only the applicable targets against a self-imposed dark background to create a sharp contrast," for lack of a better (and more inclusive) description. This is the signature trait of the optic(s), and it still does this. Apparently it does it even better now (albeit against other vehicles), or so I've been told.
  19. Campagne

Heh, if you say so. :p If you'd care to, see my above Longshot analogy.

Last time I checked the NC still don't have a real Vulcan, so I can safely say "no." ;)
  20. LaughingDead

They extended the range, wopitty do. This is just way too much though, every single AI user just got slapped for playing what the devs put into the game, for what reason? Because people whined about it, people always whine about everything, at this stage I cannot even fathom nerfing AI again, I'd just have to leave because the game is turning into an infantry only ****fest. If I wanted good gunplay with minimalistic fights and good class balance then I'd ******* play battlefield, this is getting perpetually disappointing. Plus, what content was added this patch? There's no hardlight barrier, no new weapons, just nothing, it's literally a bunch of nerfs and not even one of the most anticipated ones of nerfing LMG damage ranges because their main player cashcows don't want it, but of gee soon as shotgun outcry dies down alittle it's thrown in nonchalantly.

Honestly if the only meta these devs are trying to strive for is uninterrupted infantry gameplay with minimal vehicles then the game will die, it cannot compete with other AAA games out there, they are out budgeted, out advertised, out resourced and out contracted, I mean look at PS4 players STILL not having received anything, the only way they could make the game stay alive and try to grow more is be different from the competitive market, but if the game goes infantry centered then it feels less like....well planetside and more like a bad battlefield.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.