I am VERY bad at this game and I'm getting worse.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Leftconsin, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Taiji

Actually I think most humans are probably capable of it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Leftconsin

Well, my goal here is "Become better at Planetside 2" and your suggestion is "Don't play Planetside 2"

It isn't that I can't. Its more of doing so wouldn't achieve my goal.
  3. Taiji

Your response amounts to putting your fingers in your ears and sticking your tongue out at me. Which I actually like.

There's also this kind of stuff which you'll also not want to do: http://aim400kg.ru/en/

It's basic stuff, but if you suck at it then you're hopeless :)
  4. bubbacon

Slicing corners...best tip I ever saw in this game.

• Up x 1
  5. Kirppu1

Did you also get doritos and mountain dew and a razer keyboard?
  6. Thunderer

sadly that's true, latency makes a day and night difference in low TTK shooters like this one.

Majority of the top players have a very stable low ping and 60 fps or higher VS some one with 150 ping or higher and less than 30 fps it is a huge advantage, not to say that the best players aren't good they defiantly are and most are dedicated but the bad players aren't necessarily that bad plain and simple.

unfortunately yes, This is not to say that you should or cannot improve your skills yes you can by a big amount, but beyond a certain limit it still boils down to the latency and ping.
    • Up x 1
  7. Yuukikun

Fun part is my first post has no annecdote, unlike what you seem to claim. Whether you have serious reading problems or you need to search in a dictionnary for the definition of annecdote.

People who live close to servers get crappy latency, not because of their internet connection but because SOE's servers are crap. There are many threads about SOE's server problems already in these forums and you'd be quite daring if you told me you've never seen any of those.

About pc performence, a good player will do good even without the best setup. It has nothing annecdotal. There are about 20-30 total streamers who stream at least once a week. In these numbers there are many who are bad, and a few good players. This shows how even ppl with good pc can perform badly. Also, there are hundreds of great players who don't stream. Many because they don't have a decent pc enough, which proves how people can do really good without a nuclear powered supercomputer.

What is annecdotal though is the way you say that you suddenly got a huge improvement between before and after getting a better setup, score or kdr wise. You have yet to give any evidence of this. And you still haven't answered my question about it which was if your pc before was in an ''unplayable'' state (20fps and lower) or not. Because if you want to play with a potato that doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the game at all, it's more of a lack of common sense than anything else, and should not even complain about performence.

SOE's servers are really bad latency wise, but it affects all the players, not only a select few. This means if you did worse, it only means you are worse at adapting to lower server performence than the others, which makes you actually worse than others.

But then again, you can always deny everything i say and blame your incompetence on a piece of plastic and metal that you call computer. You can even blame SOE or your mom, i don't really care, because i'm not the one who stops improving thinking i'm perfect and that everything else in the world is the reason my perfect being cannot perform perfectly.

The op is asking for advice to improve his performence, don't corrupt him with your Dunning-Kruger syndrome. There is always room for improvement even for the best, because we are humans.
  8. Aaren

That would be the case if the server was the authoritive entity in PS2's networking. Should the server have issues - everyone would be penalised the same. However as PS2 server's appear to only do minimal damage validation, and stat tracking - leaving whatever lag compensation there is up to the clients - the possibility of wild variations between individual perspectives on the same hex is significanlty increased.

Would you like to know more?

There is of course, always more you as a player can do - but PS2 continues to have the worst network performance of any online FPS I've played. It's on par with my experience of BF3 and BF4 - constant instadeath from enemies you've already filled with lead.
  9. Yuukikun

Best advice i can give you is to improve your situationnal awareness. I have never played with you, but that's the majority of people's biggest weakness (tunnel vision).

Also, one good way to improve fast is to put yourself in amazingly bad odds again and again, until it gets inside your head, then when you go back to even odds, you feel like it's so easy.

For example,
    using battle rifle and burst weapons really force you to improve your accuracy if you want to live,
    shotguns (even though tons of people hate them) force you to charge in and pick your targets,
    finishing your targets off with a pistol helps you control your fire to stop at the perfect moment to
    save bullets.
    LA helps you have a better view of the battlefield, which helps you learn how ennemies move and hiding spots,
    which si part of your situational awareness
    SMG infil, a good way to give yourself a HP disadvantage to force you to pick your fights better

Other good things
    Taking a break when you get a death streak (it's not rage quit, it's a good way to think about how you just played and try to find a way to improve)
    Not playing for extensive periods of time (you need breaks at least every hours to drink water, go outside, relax your eyes and regain concentration)
    Being in a good mood. If you are angry or sad, it's better to just play a non-competitive (pvp) game because you will most likely not feel better as pvp games are stressful when you do your best (try-harding)
    Find a body position in which you are ready to play with constantly, to reduce the muscle memory problems of changing positions every session.
    Being well fed and hydrated and not being sleepy. It's amazing how fast your focus can go away if these are not met.
    Playing solo (WUT THIS IS A TEAM GAME WHAT IS THIS HERESY) relying on others won't help you improve, and the best way to make sure to not rely on people is to solo, and also voice comms can make you lose focus and miss subtle sounds.

Things that i would avoid
    if i were you and wanted to improve as a player and not improve your stats only,

Sniping
    Vehicles
    Heavy assault
    Zergs
    Fights where your faction already has higher pop than the ennemy's
    Proximity mines
    C4 on infantry (this excludes MAX units)
    Blaming your deaths on everything else but you (unless it's some amazing glitch which is obviously not your fault, but then you should just laugh and not be angry)
    Taking drugs or alcohol (makes you lose focus insanely fast)
    Listening to music (or other sounds that are not related to the game)(again, focus, but also missing subtle noises which can be very important for your character's health)

I suggest you learn things by yourself. Learning from listening to someone talking or watching them makes it harder to remember and imprint in your memory. Also, learning something new by yourself can be a source of pride and increase your confidence, which is always good until you reach arrogance.
    • Up x 2
  10. Mustarde

I spent some effort recently to become a better first person shooter in general and blogged a little about my experience here:

http://aninfiltratorsblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/on-self-improvement/

YMMV.

In summary, take a look at your sensitivities. Too high and you will struggle more with tracking moving targets and making precise headshots. Turn down settings to get max FPS from your rig. While I agree with yuukikuun that you can't blame your hardware or ping on being a good or bad player, having smooth gameplay can make a huge difference in your ability to kill target, especially winning those 1v1's where every bullet counts.

These are more technical ways to improve gameplay. I emphasized this as someone who has thousands of hours in game and has been playing since release. I know every base, and understand almost all the game mechanics and battle flow. Those are more obvious ways to improve, falling under the category of "situational awareness". For newer players, there are usually both technical and situation/skill based ways to improve.

Good luck to you and others in this thread. The most important thing of all is attitude - stay positive, don't be discouraged, and keep striving to be better player and you will get there
  11. zu2

Leftconsin,

Took a look at your stats on stats.dasanfall.com and noticed a few things. First off, your recent slump could just be due to the fact that you've only really played half of the days in the last 30. Second, in my experience, you haven't really played all that much in terms of hours played over the last year, and this might be holding you back from improving as much as you would like.

One thing of note, however, is that the weapon with your 2nd highest number of kills is the Mana AV turret. Which means you don't mind stand-off weapons from a distance. This says to me that you might think about doing more sniper work. Also, I found it curious that among your max weapons you have only 1 mutilator and 1 mercy with significant kills. This tells me that you might want to consider putting some more certs into your max weapons and get both of each type and get the extended mags if you don't have them, as well as beef up your max units capabilities. Going max during times of frustration can be a lift to a flagging mental drag.

Does frame rate affect your gameplay? It certainly can in my experience. I generally run 30-50 fps, but going below 20 is very noticeable and I die more frequently.

My info: I play from Anchorage, Alaska on the Emerald server with, AT BEST, a poor connection and 175 ms ping. I am 62 years old and don't have great eyesight or a great computer. But I have 4100+ hours in game, 150,000+ kills and lead the world in kills with claymores, tank mines, onslaughts, and nighthawk. 2nd in the world with prowler he kills. Notice how I have compensated for my weaknesses by choosing weapons with short ttks or ability to ohk. You may or may not want to consider doing that as well.

Something else I noticed: You are in the top 20 of your outfit mates in terms of xp and kills, out of some 500+ active in game. You might want to consider moving to a smaller, more active outfit.
    • Up x 1
  12. iller

While I can't quite explain your latest killboard against only NC... I can say with certainty:
    Don't play against suspicious Low-BR Connery VS.... or only play against them right after a major patch comes out.
    ...Oh, and stop joining EXE and DrunkDivision's pub squads. They're actually the leading cause of TR deaths

But most of all, stop fishing for approval. Real happiness comes from Within
  13. Jawarisin

I litterally asked a friend if he knew of some kind of anti-infiltrator ESP hack going around recently, all those BR 1-20 with 0 directive points insta killing me at 20-35 meters while I'm cloaked... there's some wierd stuff going on.
  14. Hoki

First, we need to get you a bucket, and lose the girlfriend.
  15. Leftconsin

My framerate is between 5-15 fyi. I don't think it has any affect on me. I'm getting worse because of me. I'll never blame it on my computer.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have played on the Moongamers battlefield 1942 Omaha Beach server would you?
  16. vsae

5-15 fps? Really? That must be painful. Ouch...

To improve you must stop listening to bads.

Yuukikun gave you best advices.
    Also zu2 has a point.
  17. zu2

nope