GPU, CPU or SSD Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by HerbertKnivez, Jan 12, 2013.

1. HerbertKnivez

Ok, I know what you are saying, but my HDD is very old, and slow. Plus it is only 70gb, I am getting a 120GB SSD, this will be my primary boot drive, I have a second drive hooked up already for storage. (I change OS a lot, with my slow internet (<150kB/s) I do not have the time to redownload everything every time I switch, the SSD is more for ease rather then speed. I have watched the tests, it far outperforms in what I want it for, write speeds. My current main HDD does not have the write speed to keep up with my storage drive (Bogged down with programs) The write speed is approx 10MB/s, the read speed of the storage drive is approx 50MB/s, so in order to keep that 50MB constant, I will be getting the SSD, I am looking at one with 300/200MB R/W speeds. Now don't tell me ANY mechanical drive can compete with that, or I will beat you with a cat until both of you are furry!
  2. Darth_teddy_Bear

Thanks for clarifying that ;)
  3. Hydragarium

Which one did you have in mind, Herbert? :)

Also - be sure to read up on what you need to change in Windows to make the SSD run optimally.
  4. HerbertKnivez

http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=159&bid=2&sid=78563 This is the SSD I am getting :D, the Kingston HyperX 120gb, also I will look up what I need to change, I thought it was just the same as a normal setup :confused:... But, it has started flooding here, hopefully it doesn't get too bad, if it does I will have to wait even longer :(
  5. Darth_teddy_Bear

Go with that, definitely. I have it my self - amazing. One of the best value for money SSDs you can get right now (if not, get a Samsung SSD.) Both of them are extremely fast and will make you pleased. :)
  6. TintaBux

Get a Q9650 OR Q9550, plus GTX660 at minimum really. GTX650 will be okay, but you'll still lack performance.

You can get the CPU's pretty cheap these days if you look around. I got a Q9650 for £55 and seen one going for £50 the other day.

If you stay on XP , stay with the 4gb.
  7. The King

If he paid $25 for a new HDD, it would be way faster than what he has now.
  8. I Keel You!

Great choice on the SSD. At least if you decide to buy an entirely new PC, the SSD will easily carry over.
  9. Fenrys

I would not sink money into a platform that's so old. Save up until you can afford something that will make a larger impact.

You can get the SSD now and benefit from it right away in your current computer.
    Next, replace the PSU and GPU at the same time. Your current PSU is probably too small to run a GPU that is worth upgrading to. The better GPU should make a lot of games smoother on your current computer, but Planetside 2 will still be rough because of your CPU.
    Finally, replace the CPU, motherboard, and RAM all at the same time.

Ideal (single monitor) gaming rig today:
    i5-3570K
    HD 7850 2GB
    8GB RAM (1600 C9 1.35v)
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD (128 GB)
    3TB HDD
    Micro ATX case
    Micro ATX motherboard
    Modular 550W Power Supply
    Price: $893.92 or $853.93 if you reuse your old case, or $713.94 if you also reuse your old HDD(s).
  10. HerbertKnivez

I do not know how many times I have said this, I am NOT, Repeat NOT! Building a new PC, ImProbablyHigh, I would not haven chosen to get the parts I was getting if they wouldn't give me a boost in performance.
  11. BenYeeHua

Then wait the big patch coming first, then we think the physX 3 should earn a Nvidia graphic card for it or not.
    Or just unlocked CPU to overclock a bit.
  12. Fenrys

It's my opinion that money spent upgrading your current system is wasted.
    Even if you got the parts you want, your computer would still be inadequate, and then you would have to wait even longer to get a computer that was not slow.
    • Up x 1
  13. Kurohagane

How about you spend bit of that cash to get a good cooler that is also compatible with 1155 and OC your processor?

(that is, if you can)
  14. TomaHawk

Sorry to say I think your whole system needs overhauled. One item isn't going to help you much. All of your stuff is dated, and yes, your Windows XP is going to have to go.
  15. Hydragarium

There's your answer, Tomahawk.
  16. HerbertKnivez

Read more the then the original post before you tell me. I have said that I will be getting Windows 7/8 when I upgrade, and what I said was I can only get one NOW, I will be getting them all.
  17. TomaHawk

I don't really care what you plan on or when. The same message goes. But I should be nice afterall and cast my vote for the video card upgrade. Sorry you can't afford a new system, because that's what you really need.
  18. The King

I agree, he will notice the SSD being better than what he currently has, since it is extremely dated and slow and will go away soon.
    However, he might not even notice it being so much faster than a normal new HDD. IMO, it's a waste to get a SSD first.
    Would get aww'd by a normal cheap HDD(compared to what he has).
  19. nukularZ

Why would you pay $130 for a Q6600 when you can get the following...

1) Core i3-530 for $75 new (first generation i3, but can be overclocked to beyond 4ghz making them faster than current generation i3)
    2) Cheap H55 motherboard for $50
    3) 8GB DDR3 RAM for $40

This would perform a lot better than a Q6600, despite being a dual core (but it has HT so effectively has 4 threads). You'd have to check Ebay for the i3 and H55 board. But my point is : you could do so much better than a $130 Q6600.

Edit : The reason I recommend the first generation i3 over anything LGA 1155 in the same price range is because you cannot overclock the cheaper LGA 1155 parts, but you can the first generation i3s, and effectively make them perform better than their LGA 1155 counterparts.
  20. Paulus

Your graphics card is already being held back by your CPU, buying a better graphics card will NOT make it any less held back by the CPU. Your RAM is horrible, 800MHz DDR2 is woeful, as is your HDD and CPU.

If you spent on your PC the money that you propose to spend on a graphics card that your PC cannot use even 1/2 of the capability of, your machine would be more upto date than the present marvelous time capsule example of what a PC looked like 15 years ago.

Your best value will come from a "Bare Bones" purchase (i3 or AMD equivilent at the very least), I'm going to assume you don't want Win 7 because you have a dodgy copy of Win XP laying around you intend to install, becasue thats the ONLY reason not to get Win 7. Your HDD is so aged that you should really start to worry about reliability and bad clusters. so at the very least buy a 7200 RPM HDD (you will struggle to find anything on the shelf cheaper than that and you will see benifits from the higher spin speed) and forgo the SSD until your machine is newer. An SSD will not make your PC computate data any faster, so a higher loading speed than 10k RPM (or IOPS as its expressed with SSDs) will do nothing for you.

Do not waste your money on an even better graphics card, your current situation is akin to trying to push a car through the front door of your house, buying a truck will not make the job easier. Buy a garage instead, your car will fit better.

TLDR: buy http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-v...0-gb-85XX.html?refs=43170000-4294944187&src=3
    Fit it with 4GB of cheap and uncomplicated DDR3 RAM (around £30), buy a cheap £50 500GB HDD, fit your current GT610, and enjoy a better gaming experience for about £200.