Game launches to a black screen.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Control, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Control

When I press "play" on the launch pad, I'm sent to a black screen with only the blue cursor (planetside 2's style of cursor). Usually it's where there a loading screen, but I waited 10 minutes on the screen and nothing happened.

Be aware that I was able to play the game normally on beta.
    My setup is a little unusual, I use a triple monitors setup, with all displays extended (nvidia surround)
    Whilst this might be the reason of the black screen, I had no problems with it during the beta.
    I must also remind that I'm using the most recent drivers as possible, was using a non bet version, than got the newest beta and still didn't workout.

My system specs are:

Core i5 2500K
    8GB 1666 RAM
    2x GTX 460 1Gb in SLI

I'm also tried run the game as a admin, also I'm using Windows 8.
    • Up x 1
  2. RadioactiveRabbit

I am having the issue.
    GTX 590
    i7 2700k
    16Gb of RAM

EDIT: I have this issue on three screens as well as 2 and one.
  3. Control

Hey, sorry, I meant to post earlier but I kinda forgot. I fixed the issue.

The steps in blue might not be necessary, but I'm listing what I did. What I'll put in red is what I think made it work.

-Deleted the UserOptions.ini >> Ran the game >> did not work

-Opened the UserOptions.ini with notepad (useroptions.ini will recreate itself after you try to run the game again if you deleted it)
    -On the top of the file I changed what was:
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

to

Mode=Window
    FullscreenMode=Window

And ran the game once again as admin

After the game opens as a window you can feel free to change it back to fullscreen and change resolutions.
  4. TSR-JoshuaM Customer Service

Thanks for the information! If that doesn't fix you up please let us know.
  5. RadioactiveRabbit

I have no UserOptions.ini file. I was never able to get into the game.
    Running as admin also does not work.
  6. Control

I wasn't able to pass the blackscreen but still I had the UserOptions.ini
    Are you sure you are looking on the right folder?

It should be at: Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2
    But that depends also if you have the steam version or downloaded it normally.
    Anyway, if you want to, I can upload the file for ya.

Also one thing I forgot to say, I closed any overlay programs (like fraps and evga precision)

EDIT: Just restarded my PC and got the black screen once again. I noticed the EVGA precision auto started with windows and forgot to close it. Closed it, and it worked. Seems like it was it's overlay that was making something go wrong (I let fraps running and no problems)

Still I can give my UserOptions.ini if you want.
  7. LordCharlamane

bugger I was hoping that would work.
  8. Piratchimichima

That did not work at all for me...
  9. Control

Well, I'm really sorry to hear that Piratchimichima. Do you use any other overlay besides steam's? Like EVGA Precision or
    Did you only got a black windowed screen? I hope you can find a way around this. Good luck
  10. RadioactiveRabbit

I down loaded the standalone version of the game from the website and was able to find the file, but with the steam version it is just not in the directory. That would be awesome if you could upload it.
  11. Control

I'm sorry for the delay, here it is: https://rapidshare.com/files/132901223/UserOptions.ini
  12. Jessups

Your fix helped me too. I also have a dual monitor setup, and all I needed to do was edit the .ini file. The one thing I would suggest is edit it to be the following way instead, so it starts windowed fullscreen instead of windowed:

Mode=WindowedFullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Windowed
  13. LordCharlamane

14. Bowgun

if you cant find your useroptions.ini, the files are usually in abc order so it may be at the bottom
  15. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

If starting the game in Windowed mode doesn't work, and neither does disabling EVGA Precision X, there are a few different issues which may be causing this problem for you, so you may need to try a few things to get into the game:

1. Please ensure that you have added an exception within your Firewall or Anti-Virus software for planetside2.exe, launchpad.exe, and awesomiumprocess.exe.

The location of these files can vary, but by default they should look like this:

Win7/Vista/Win8

C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

Windows XP

C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.exe
    C:\Program Files\\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\LaunchPad.libs\AwesomiumProcess.exe

PS2 & Anti-Virus Software

2. You may need to clear the cache settings for the launch pad by going to the launchpad.libs folder in your PlanetSide 2 directory and delete the launchpad.cache folder then try accessing the game once again.

3. The launcher may have been corrupted and will need to be repaired before it will work correctly. You can repair the launcher with the launcher set up file from the following link:

https://launch.soe.com/installer/PS2_setup.exe
  16. Bowgun

if any of these dont work i may have found a way that may fix it for you guys. go to the planetside 2 folder. find the launchpad with a white 2 and black background. (trying to be specific) right click and select run as administrator. if i run the game normally it wont work, but if i run it as admin, it does work. if it fixes it then your computer wasn't downloading the files when you launch th game. hope this helped
  17. LachlannSKA

I still need I help! I have tried everything as suggested previously but my game still launches to black screen and just sits there. Is there anything else I could try?