Best settings for my PC?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by kyxash, Jan 14, 2013.

1. LordMondando

Debatable, the setup in his sig is not designed to use minimal power and produce minimal heat as all laptop components are.

I'm sorry but the hard facts are, serious 'gaming computation' produces a LOT of heat. Laptops simply cannot dissipate this heat. Ergo, the components used in them, whilst having similar brand names, are sigificantly less resource intensive in order to avoid this problem.

Also do not underestimate the phenom chip.
  2. TheAppl3

Let me clarify his point for him. He's not saying that no gaming laptop is better than any desktop that has ever existed. The point is simply that for prices in the same general range, the laptops are significantly weaker, nigh-impossible to upgrade in the future, and suffer from heat and performance issues. Here is an example of a gaming laptop - the MSI GT70-0NE.

It has an i7-3630QM at 2.4GHz, 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM, and a GTX680M.

My system is in my sig. My i7-3770k is clocked at 3.5/3.9 while the 3630QM is a 2.4/3.4. Its max frequency is lower than the 3770k's standard. The 3770k also has an unlocked multiplier and an 8mb cache versus 6mb for the mobile chip.

Both systems have 16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1600, fine.

The GTX680M benchmarks lower than the 660Ti. It has a 20% lower texture fill rate and manages to have a 20% or so lower memory bandwidth despite the 660Ti's unfortunate 192-bit interface.

It has me beat in drives, I opted for a mechanical RAID array. However I still load into PS2 perfectly fast enough without the SSDs - from CTD I'm back in the fight within 15-20 seconds total.

My system will perform better and stay MUCH cooler while doing so. I can thus overclock it to move even further ahead of the laptop.

Now what's my point here? My system would cost about $1,250-1,350 brand-new right now. I could add a Blu-Ray burner and dual 128GB SSDs to replace one of the 1TB drives and better mirror the laptop for a net $150 extra. The laptop costs twice that.

Outside of people who are constantly on the move (travel a ton, want to play games in the hotels et cetera), it makes more sense to get a very good $1,200 desktop for gaming and a cheap $600 laptop for your school/office work instead of a $2,600 laptop. Heck my system, the 5.1 home theater system connected to it, my 23" 1080p monitor, my Razer mouse, my keyboard, my headset, and my laptop all still cost less than that inferior laptop I just discussed.
  3. The King

However, you can get the laptop you described for $1500.. Not needed to spend $2500 for one....
    + it can upgrade and overclock.

I didn't say laptops are better for the price, I stated a fact, which you quoted which was in reply to the guy I quoted.
    And you can have 5.1 sound and also 8 feet display if you wanted. So the monitor is ____ along with 5.1. Since they both can do it.
  4. kyxash

5. BenYeeHua

I think it don't cool down so much.
    You can force the fan to full speed using RW-Everything, but don't do it if you can't understand which one is it.
    ----
    Try this.
    Code:
    [Display]
    RenderQuality=1.010000
    [Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=2
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1250.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=120
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    AO=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=0
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=0
    TerrainQuality=0
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=0
    ParticleLOD=1
    MotionBlur=0
    VerticalFOV=74
    GpuPhysics=0
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.450000
    [Sound]
    MaxVoices=192
    SampleRate=44100
    I get 30-45 FPS from this, as it has disable TXAA for the game.
  6. Nehemia

I've got GT 330m, same processor and 6gb ram.

And my FPS is stable 30, 40-50 during quiet areas.

Its about optimization, disable shadows (hardest FPS impact on lap tops) make sure your lap top has zero power savings enabled (lap top battery settings to full performance), check your GPU control panel and enable full power consumption performances etc.
  7. Nehemia

I've got GT 330m, same processor and 6gb ram.

And my FPS is stable 30, 40-50 during quiet areas.

Its about optimization, disable shadows (hardest FPS impact on lap tops) make sure your lap top has zero power savings enabled (lap top battery settings to full performance), check your GPU control panel and enable full power consumption performances etc.
  8. SandierBear

Please cease to exist.
  9. BenYeeHua

Ya, we are choosing a laptop because we can't buying a desktop that we can't bring it.
    We want a desktop too, just the mobility problem.
  10. Ecko

That's a stupid comparison. No **** there will be better ones considering how much newer they are compared to my desktop.

If you put the same spec laptop vs desktop. Desktop wins. Even the GPUs in desktops are more powerful than the laptop variants. Think before posting.
  11. BenYeeHua

Except mobile laptop with a desktop CPU, you know which one it is...
  12. Alexlightning7

Laptops don't work quite like that. You don't compare a, say, 6670 to a 6670m. you compare it to something similar, like a overclocked 6770m.

the key hear is you said same spec.
    a 6770m is not the same specced as a 6770.
    A better comparisson is a 670 vs a 680m. thats about the same spec.

Also, laptop processors about the same as desktops clock for clock. True laptops are sometimes lower clocked, and laptop i5s are dual cores, but take a laptop i7 and desktop i7 at the same clock and they will perform the same.
  13. kyxash

What does Max voices do? And sample rate is the sound quality in hz? And the particle distance scale? That render quality setting, will just disable temporary anti aliasing and what else? hope you can answer all my questions :)
  14. BenYeeHua

First, this is what FPS I get from it.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ultra-similar-fps-d.80030/page-2#post-1033053
    I think Max voices is the voices that can happen in one time, putting to lowest(1) and try scrolling the map, you will hear the crack sound.
    Sample rate is the sound quality in hz, not bitrate, normally 44100 hz is used in MP3.
    Maybe the sound file is 44100, and it has a bad performance to upsampling to 48000 hz.

Particle distance scale is draw the transfer point of the light, if you lower it, you can't seeing the light from far away.
    It is ok as you can know the transfer point is your one or the enemy one by seeing the minimap.
    If you increase the ParticleLOD=1 you will seeing more effect on the particle light like a turning light.
    I lower this to reduce the light source.

The render quality did disable post-processing that I don't know, and it usual using the CPU.
    I know this because the MSI afterburner OSD appear in login and loading screen.
  15. kyxash

Hey man, how much is your gpu overclocked? my core clock is 800 and memory clock at 830, should i increase to get more performance?
  16. BenYeeHua

Yes, if you are facing gpu can't processing this game.
    But don't let the temperature over 90°C
  17. kyxash

Well, i just tried using this : http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php and i can now see the core parking thing in power plan settings, but i'm not able to modify the percentage by changing the value or by pressing the arrows.......................................... (default is 0 and i should change it to 100) also i've just installed catalyst 13.11
  18. Alexlightning7

I dont believe 13.11 is out yet, do you mean 13.1.......

Also, My GPU core clock is at 825 and memory I just keep lower since it really doesn't effect anything. I have seen some people with a core clock at 850, which makes a huge difference for some reason. Crysis is actually enjoyable at max settings. Unfortionately I cant get it stable at that clock, no matter what I do.
  19. BenYeeHua

That forum moderate here:)
    Can you see the Resource Monitor-CPU and see the right, is some core is showing like.
    Core 1 - parked.
  20. kyxash

I just typed wrong 13.1, anyways when i play core clock is at 830 and memory clock at 855