ANT cordium shield nerfed so bad...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Purp, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Purp

...now it is only good for the lighting effect.

I used to be able to jump off of cliffs and into enemy bases through the skyshield...
    I used to be able to run for my base and survive that first Liberator pass...
    I used to be able to survive the occasional ANT barrel roll...

Going from 100% damage prevention to 20% in one foul swoop... Well, you can't say they do anything half higby...

I will miss the cordium shield!!!
  2. N4rkoT1k

That is sad for sure
    (Battle) ANT was the pretty much the only thing that made me play the game during the last months

Tweaking the game is very good! But to me it happened far too often now that the weapons and vehicles that I love/use the most get utterly destroyed (ofc after I spent unholy amount of certs into them)

Oh well.. I guess I will be online even less frequent now
  3. Moisture

The ANT, Like the halberd and under barrel smoke launcher was OP and needed not just a small adjustment, But a massive Nerf that drastically changes its values

Sound stupid? Well someone who is literally a professional designer agrees.
  4. Purp

If you're going to nerf it that much, why keep it in the game? Going from 100% to 20%... Might as well just get rid of it.
  5. Moisture

I have no idea. The patchnotes are insultingly bare on information and reasoning.
    Did they even refund anything? I doubt it.

Im not sure why they they are unable to make mild changes to something and seeing how it works for a while.
    They do nothing for sometimes years then radically changes something so drastically is outright a different tool then before.
    • Up x 1
  6. Halkesh

Note that now Ant shield only need cortium per second, you don't lose more cortium when enemy shot at you.
    The only problem is that 20% is too few, it should be upgraded to 30-35%.
    • Up x 1
  7. Purp

I would much rather balance it by it not lasting as long (i.e. eat more cordium per second) then nerf the damage resistance at all.

Before the nerf, the shield could be used when you tipped over your ANT or rolled down a hill (or jumped off a cliff) to prevent the damage... Now it doesn't help you at all in that scenario.

Before the nerf, you could resist at least one run from a Tank Buster Lib- now you are still toast even with the shield up on one pass.

Now you are stuck between invisibility (which is only partial) or zoom zoom (the speed burst). The shield is completely useless now.

I even remade my NC toon just to avoid getting the tier 3 speed upgrade on my ANT, now that I can't run shield. Tier 3 speed is too unstable and I depended on the shield when I tipped... Too bad you can't downgrade to tier 2...
  8. Halkesh

Basically, a vanguard's forward shield ?
    Short duration but extreme resistance.
  9. ParakeetLord88

The thing about Cortium barrier is that it was completely repurposed - it isn't useful for what it was before. It's no longer a way to save your *** when you're alone (i.e. harvesting). However, it has a new role:

When you are with allies, especially if you take reinforced armor as well (it wasn't changed to 400 extra hp, it's still a 10% damage reduction) you can boost your damage resistance quite high, certainly higher than a non-Vanguard MBT. Now if you plan for this with the gunner weapon of proper usage for the situation, and have access to nearby cortium and, ideally, a rep sundy, you can be a very decent skirmisher. You will of course also need a gunner.

Furthermore, you may find you can still outduel a harasser, and that's nice, right? Bulldog or fury at closer ranges works quite well and the Kobalt is still a very effective harasser destroying weapon up to quite a far distance too.

Consider this.
  10. Rebecca649

Yeah I miss the old ANT cordium shield. It allowed you to actually survive a Harasser ambush or a lib dive bombing you in one pass. Made them work for the "easy" kill of attacking an ANT. No its gone to being cannon fodder if a harasser, Mag or ESF sees you your pretty much a goner.

With the old shield you could also be pretty useful in a big fight. With the shield I could transport some people closer to a base while taking more fire than a sundy could handle and even go toe toe with MBT if I had a good gunner with me. I will miss that.

Best thing I can do now is max out the stealth and high tail it if I see ground armour, though with a flak gun I can still give enemy air a run for their money.
    • Up x 1
  11. Celtin

Its an ANT not a tank so post nerf it shouldnt change anyones views because its a collection vehicle that is allowed to have a gun in the first place(I dont think it should). With that said a reduced shield is not bad at all as its a small aid to its intended use rather than allowing it to be a tank for a little while.
  12. Purp

I couldn't disagree more- each ground vehicle should be able to counter each other ground vehicle with the proper load out and play. AP lightnings can take on a MBT and have a chance. A fully staffed Harrasser or Sundy can take on a MBT. A fully staffed ANT with cord shield used to be able to at least attempt to ambush a MBT, but it has no chance now that the shield is useless.