Planetside as an E-sport?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Huike, Feb 20, 2013.

1. siiix

who would be the winner ? how do you judge who did better ?
  2. FinWiz

Sunderes, each side had their sunderer deployed on their side of "map". Winner was the team that took out enemy Sunderer first
  3. rayvon

esports are a joke anyway.
  4. PsychoBat

I agree with a lot of people on this thread that condensing PS2 into a smaller outfit vs outfit match would make it a regular off the mill shooter, not planetside. It'll also split the community as everyone who is training/competing in the match arena is not taking part of the actual battles on their home server.

Now if SOE really would want to innovate, I'd like them to try something completely different without splitting the community in two. I'd like them to turn Planetside 2 into a spectator sport that doesn't focus on skills of individual players but of whole battles and forces. You could have spectators cheering for their faction while commentators show the front lines move and showcase exceptionally influential organized groups in action.

I mean right now we don't have the big picture. We don't have continent locking, we don't have more continents, we just have three isolated wars. We're playing just for fun right now without a purpose. Once we connect it all up and have one amazing war over the whole server with pushes going through continents, we have ourselves a competition - there would be so much to show and to appreciate as a spectator. Can my home faction finally push themselves out of a continent lock and into new grounds? Will my home faction finally achieve complete serverlock by locking out both the other factions? We could have largescale operations announced beforehand and seen implemented in real-time. With the ingame mission system we could see plans being born in real time.

This is an exceptionally dynamic game. If you want to make it an e-sport, don't do it by substracting it's core characteristics and dumbing it down to the level where other e-sport titles are. Focus on your strenghts! I can see 1vs1 RTS matches and 32vs32 FPS matches in multiple titles. These niches are already filled. Make your own niche. Show us the unfolding of a war between thousands of players. You will get people watching your game who don't have anything to watch in the current e-sports paradigm.
  5. VodkaGR

This will never be a competitive game.NEVER.It's more likely to see a flying unicorn than this

It's a casual,low skill cap,zerg oriented,bad mechanics,clunky and unresponsive animations,bad performance game.

Basically everything that a competitive game should not be
  6. Rhinzual

My biggest nightmare is that the devs would end up like Guild Wars 2's devs and start making all balance decisions based on what happens in the little e-sports matches (Structed PvP in GW2) and not even care about how the changes will affect the rest of the game.
    • Up x 1
  7. Sinist

I think the people against E-Sports are the people who have surrendered to the fact that they would never win at E-Sports.

I think a competitive side adds more options to the game. You can play youre regular server war and at the same time see how you match up to the rest of the world in MLG.

If it's too large scale however then you would never be able to organize live events. There is no way 20 people on a team are going to fly out to a MLG tournament or a SOE Live event in order to compete. You would be lucky to get 12 guys together. Alot of E-Sports players are looking to win some kind of monetary reward as well. With large teams the prize pools have to be enormous to offset travel costs nevermind "profit".

And if it's hosted online where people can compete in major tournaments from home, then "cheating" is going to be a problem and ruin the whole thing.

I think it should be 12v12 arena style (Squad versus squad). But it should technically be 1v1 tower fights :D.
  8. Rhinzual

I don't want e-sports because it makes no sense to be in this kind of game. I have zero intention of ever participating in them because they are just not appealing to me, but I see why they appeal to others. It's just not how I view competition is all. As I said already, my biggest fear of e-sports being introduced to PS2 is that the devs would start balancing purely around their precious e-sports (purely for profits to help develop SOE's next big cash cow, always worked like that) with the rest of the game (meta and normal) be utterly damned.
  9. CHC999

To me, whether it will soar on the wings of glory or a car crash in slow motion, it will be darn interesting to watch. I would say, most of us will get at least a chuckle or two out of it. Just...don't end it with a popularity vote at the end...stupid Ultimate Showdown.

Also you don't need to fly the whole outfit there, maybe just the leaders? Thats probably...10-15 tops? Thats like 3 platoons. And cheating might be a problem but I think organised outfits will clamp down on that. They don't want to lose street creds, practically in front of the internet.
  10. Phyr

GW2 isn't afraid to balance PVP and PVE separately, much like GW1.
  11. siiix

in theory that is a good idea , but for practical reasons it would not work

imagine even just 500 people on the map, and no one is caring about anything but destroying or protecting the sundy

i highly doubt that sundy would be intact for more then 5 minutes... if you play for money you put everything in to winning as soon as possible, i could see 250 galaxies suiciding in to that sundie
  12. Eugenitor

While I agree with your sentiment (trying to make PS2 into an e-sport is like trying to put bar fights into the Olympics), I find flaws with your analogy.

[IMG]
  13. FinWiz

Well our event was 12vs12 infantry only, so we didn't have that problem. My original post was meant to show that events like this can be held if outfits want to.
  14. Tuco

Esports ruined Starcraft 2.
  15. siiix

ohh well 12 vs 12 i can see it , but is it then really worth it ?! why not just not do esport if the game is totally not built for that

how will you enforce the 24 maximum on the server ?! its not like you can just run a server your self
  16. Shinrah

E-Sports are usually associated with "pro-gaming". So let me ask this, do you know a SINGLE competetive game with a sizeable community that had teams bigger than 6vs6?

I played alot of shooters and rts games over the years, some competetive some for fun, but never had the organized competetive part of those games exceeded 6vs6. UT99, Q3 etc were often 4vs4, rarely more, CS typically 5vs5, RTCW/ET 6vs6. RTCW/ET were the only game I played competetive that actually was 6vs6, and still had competetive leagues and tournaments. Even competetive BF is usually played on small maps with teams of five.

So how do you purpose PS2 fares on that scale? It would absolutely not work, and I can tell you from expierience that platoonsized competetions, as in 48 players per team, cannot happen on a competetive scale. Too many people required for one team, not enough focus on playerskill. Even 12vs12 would not work well, you might get a sizeable number of teams with that size. But you are unlikely to ever achieve teamplay and skill compareable to other games with smaller teams.

PS2 is a mixed arms MMOFPS, taking away the MMO, and then further reducing it to infantry only turns it into a completely different game. Stripping the main sales points away leaves you with a game thats subpar in every aspect compared to shooters that are specifically tailored for "competetive" or "small scale" team fights.

Also all the current outposts aren´t really viable for a competetive small scale infantry fight, so they´d have to make specific maps, or at least changes to existing layouts for their "E-sports mode". This could very well divert resources away from the main game, as in be disadvantageous for anyone not interested in E-sports.

It´s their game and they can do whatever they want with it, but I simply do not see how they can make E-Sports work in PS2. I´ll gladly admit I was wrong, if they manage to pull it off, I just doubt it. PS2 has nothing that makes other games a success in competetive gaming.
  17. Nature

The only way for PS2 to have any chance of becoming an esport title is if SOE does what RIOT did, pump millions into it. Force your way into the scene with a game thats not ready for it with just money.