Put an end to Biolab farming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thades, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Thades

I understand there's a lot of mechanics like this in the game, sitting outside of spawn rooms for example, or holding out in the Tech Plant. But these are different in my mind; when your spawn room is camped you just go elsewhere (usually the next facility down the road to stage a defense) and when the Tech Plant has too much defense the defenders push out and reclaim territory.

The Biolab however is a whole other beast. It's just one giant camping ground. 20 people camp both of the landing pads, 40 people surrounding all of the teleporters. This is something I'm fine with as a defense, but it becomes a problem when the defenders continue to get reinforcements and start outnumbering the attackers significantly. On my server (Connery), the attackers end up being badly outnumbered, yet the defenders will never push out. Even if it becomes 2 to 1 in favor of the defenders, they don't try to take any of the outposts, because they just want to safely farm kills in front of the teleporter pads. There's pretty much nothing to do except to try and convince people to attack elsewhere, which may be even more futile.

The whole concept of farming in a FPS is pretty insulting, and if it's fun for the people on the winning side of it now I can't imagine it will stay that way. I've seen it on both ends and it's pretty sickening to watch.
    • Up x 3
  2. myrmexaw

Why do attacker feel the urge to go peek-a-boo the shield ? It's not like you get a magical bullet every magazine that goes trough the shield...
  3. Shockfrosted

Biolab farming is like forest fires. You can prevent it yourself.
    Enemy is capping your lab? Bugger off and let them.
    Come back after to take it back, the zerg will have moved on (sometimes all of them have) and you can shoot the stragglers. Baseswapping.

Also gives more XP than defense.
  4. Flarestar

Farming in an FPS is purely the result of one side being too dumb to stop attacking something when they're killing one guy for every five of theirs dead.
    • Up x 1
  5. smokemaker

lol
    its called losing...
    At this point, who is REALLY the ones making an error?
    A.) The defenders. defending and winning?
    or
    B.) The suicidal attacker who repeated puts themselves in the same bad spot , hoping for a different outcome, repeatedly?

Give up the lab, move to another objection, then return to the lab later. Game mechanic working as intended.
  6. Tobax

No, ending it would take a whole base re-design and there is nothing wrong with the shields.
  7. Thades

I agree, but what I'm saying is that "the zerg" is almost uncontrollable. In EVERY OTHER instance of the game, even the crown, if an attack doesn't have the force behind it to succeed then it is repelled and comes to an end. The incentive to sit in front of teleporter rooms is too great, and defenders in a Biolab don't even try to stop the spawn points on ground level.
  8. Flarestar

Why would they, exactly? If they just wait for the attackers, they get to contain them in killing grounds.

That's not something broken, that's called effective defense.
  9. Thades

It's called farming. If they can't make it into the base at all then there's not really a threat, in any other facility if this happens, the sunderer is blown up or the outpost is captured and the fight moves on. In a Biolab as long as there's a few people that will still come through the doors nobody will stop sitting in front of them for free points. It's not completely broken, but it needs to be adjusted. Less exposed tele rooms would help for example, so you're not running out into Vietnam through a glowing XP hole.
  10. bPostal

When I approach a quiet base I run up to it to see if anyone's in there. However, running up to one with fire pouring out of it is just plain silly.
  11. smokemaker

OK so what would you suggest the defender do?
    Move away from a door that he knows will expel enemy forces?
    With only one outcome certain, he if does?
    An attacker will get out and begin the process of taking the facility. Its the defenders job to farm the foolish who continue to come out that door. And as A bonus, he will get more XP. Only 1 person controls this engagement, the attacker when he decides to step out that door.
  12. Thades

You need to read what I said. If you outnumber the attackers and have the place locked down from any real threat, then what you should do is go and stop the enemy at the source. Not sit around and wait 15v1 for someone to try to run out.
  13. Freyar

I always find it funny when TR/NC LAs jetpack to a high point to cover a door. Set my rifle to single shot, pick them off with ease. 5:0, I'm winning just fine there. Even then, counter-attacks have been getting increasingly common as people START figuring out that perhaps just constantly spawning in the same room (provided the SCU isn't destroyed) that it doesn't do them nearly as much good.
  14. Aerolath

This sort of camping isn't fun for either side. I can't believe people are defending the atrocious spawnroom and teleporter rooms as being either good design or working as intended. They're absolutely awful.
  15. Acierocolotl

Sure, you should. That's sound tactics.

But you're not responsible for the attackers, nor the defenders. If you're leading a squad you're responsible for those guys alone, and if you're in a public squad who insists on it, leave it. Let other squads keep throwing themselves into the grinder. If each friendly is "entertaining" 15 enemies, that's 15 enemies you won't be fighting next door. You get numerical superiority, make use of it. Move on.
  16. smokemaker

I'll break it down:

1.) "If you outnumber the attackers and have the place locked down from any real threat.."

Assume Bio-lab clear of all enemy = check

2.) "then what you should do is go and stop the enemy at the source"

Roger find enemy at "source". Source = door

3.) "Not sit around and wait 15v1 for someone to try to run out"

Define defense. My definition involves positioning myself in front of the enemy known routes of infiltration.

Conclusion: Its the defenders job to stay in front of that door. Numbers of defenders is irrelevant. The defenders numbers could only help a smart attacker. IE If they all over obj. A, then that are not all over obj. B

Repeat, Only the attacker controls this outcome and is completely responsible for it.
  17. Skillet

Only idiots keep attacking well defended Bio Lab pads, they deserve death. I mean how many times are you going to jump pad to that death trap before you wise up. You're out numbered and getting farmed. Wait for reinforcements and/or just hold onto the satelites, they will come for you when there is no-one left to farm. They always do.
  18. Thades

It's nice that you put some thought into it, but you're just plain wrong. The door is not the source. The source is the outpost on the ground that allows them to teleport up to the base, which can be taken with one person. Perhaps you're a zergling that doesnt understand that killing someone who will come back in 10 seconds is not effective defense, it's farming.

Also, Aciero, it's not 15 defenders per 1 on an attack. It's just that people don't try to rush out all at once and there's another 12 people behind them. If they did all rush out at once, they tend to just get C4ed.
  19. Freyar

Are they unable to take over the security consoles in the Biolab because they're being stopped at their doors? Yes? Sounds like a DEFENSE that is EFFECTIVE to me.

Secure the main biolab, get spawns up inside, then push out to take the surrounding outposts.
  20. Tasogie

Your also up against several years of instilled "we need K/D yo!!"....
    You wont break that, because its all they understand. They cant grasp that winning a base is far better, more fun, an more profitable (I dont feel you need to be rewarded for doing everything).... But they just wont budge.
    They see the leaderboards (I'd fire whoever came up with that idea), an they see the 20,000 kills 2 deaths of the top player, an want it. (without realizing its an aimbotter/hack)

ea/activision have taught this generation that kills mean something, that KD is your goal, you must do it....