YouTube and Planetside 2 Videos

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Skiidzman, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Skiidzman

Hey guys,

I noticed there is a bunch of great videos showing Planetside 2 Gameplay on Youtube. For you experienced individuals, is it possible to monetize these videos?

When I say monetize, if you use YouTube you can use AdSense and become a partner and receive cash for x amount of views. This works for of course any other videos.

But has anyone verified?
  2. Capt. Mytre

Lol, in fact I've asked this very question to Higby, just hoping for a response. I highly doubt it, since this is such a large company. I've only really seen small indi companies allow adsense etc, since it is all about getting the word out about their product.

Here's the tweet I sent:
    https://twitter.com/CaptMytre/status/271193252894498818
  3. Rolfski

Of course you can. People like Levelcap can live from it alone.
  4. Capt. Mytre

No, they are part of a Network, like machinima. The network works out the legal side of things, like the license to use copyrighted content (IE, the game in this case - the models, textures, music and sound effects etc).

You need permission from SOE to use these things in a commercial way, it's the law.
  5. Tobias

People who try to make money from youtube videos are bottom-feeding leeches of society.

Just wanted to say that.
  6. Capt. Mytre

Why?
  7. Rolfski

Lol, do you think guys like him waited for permission from Infinity Ward before BF3 made them famous before they became partner of Machinima? Get real. You don't have to be partner of Machinima to earn your YouTube money with this game. And SOE won't sue you if you start publishing these tutorials and commentaries, it's the best marketing they could ever wish for. They even showcase these "illegal" videos themselves in their own show "Command Center"

If you want to make money with PS2 videos you better stop whining, get to work and start cranking out some top notch content.
  8. Capt. Mytre

No, but they most likely didn't monetise it. I myself can monetise my videos, and have attempted to do so on gaming videos. Unless you are doing a review and arguing fair use, youtube won't accept the request and even if they do let it through, if it is discovered later, they will either delete the video, give you an infraction against your account or just remove monetisation.

I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying that it would be better to gain permission first, and then reap the rewards. Anywho, unless your getting 100k+ hits, videos won't earn much revenue.

You can see my channel in my sig.
  9. Skiidzman

Interesting. Just curious, not to be in your business but to sort of be :D

How much are you making monetizing the small amount of videos you currently have? PM me if you want.
  10. Capt. Mytre

None, I've only monetised one of my videos for test purposes, and it is a small tutorial. 741 views, something like $0.30 estimated earnings. If you are serious about making money from youtube videos, join a network, but remember you have to actively upload content that is interesting and worthwhile, otherwise the networks won't take you.
  11. Skiidzman

Any examples of a network?
  12. Cevera

Machinima & the Gamestation are 2 examples.

They probably made videos before the partnership, but they arent allowed to earn money from it.
    There are very few indie devs that allow that for everybody. Think Minecraft is one of these games

If you start to monetise gameplay videos (for example Lets plays) your account will get suspended, if you dont have the permission of the dev/publisher.
    Thats why every Lets-player is part of one of the big networks, since they have the permission to monetise these things..

Not a long time ago, every video that contained a trailer (or parts of it) of an AAA-game got content flagged and deleted
    Even if you were part of a network. Dont ask me why..
    "Hey its free advertisment for our games, dont let them do that"
    So people had to use trailer of indie games^^
    • Up x 1
  13. Rolfski

Bottom line is, you should not let this whole legal issue stop you from becoming successful because none of these famous YouTubers ever has. Every one of them just started with making great content that eventually made them a full time YouTuber. Legal stuff is not the show stopper here if you're talented.
  14. Miyoko

It's really hard to live from Youtube videos, the same way it's really hard to live from blogs.

On my blog I had like 30 visitors a day, Google paid me didly squat, even though they asked if I wanted to place ads on the page. I made like $1 per month, and they don't pay you unless you make your first $20 or so.

So yeah, Youtube pays if you become a partner, but to live from it.....it's a full day job and really hard, I have no time to do it.

In fact I would say Google underpays people for the amount of content they create.
  15. venku122

Has anyone heard anything about this yet? i've made several ps2 videos and am a youtube partner.
  16. Capt. Mytre

Are you an actual partner, or can just monetise your videos? There aren't many youtube partners that upload gameplay that aren't part of a network, since it is significantly harder to get the permission yourself.
  17. venku122

I can monetize my videos but i have not yet monetized any. I am a "partner" but i haven't submitted anything
    Quote from my youtube account page.
    I have sent a message to the mods as well as a support ticket to sony asking this question. Hopefully I hear back!
  18. rivaLxfactor

Here is your best bet... Build your channel's sub base and view counts by posting content that others enjoy. Once you get to roughly 1k to 2k subs go say hi to a network such as Machinima.

Once you become a partner they take care of the licensing for you and then you can monetize properly without having to worry about ads being pulled off and what not due to licensing issues.

This was my personal story from January 2012 when I had less than 100 subs and wanted to pursue and idea...

Hope this helps you all!
  19. Rolfski

What he says, this has been the road for many of the popular YouTubers.
  20. Cevera

^This

Thats the way to go, if you want to earn money through videos about games
    (And there are some games you can monetize without needing a permission. Some Indie games)