[Suggestion] TR now severly lacking in anti-magrider weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fleech, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Xasapis

That is actually not true. Fracture performance is equal to Vortex. Ravens are the undeniable kings in AV killing with Falcons being second best.

15013 - M3 Pounder HEG-Left | Vehicle KPH | Daily Average: 2.78
    16032 - Vortex VM21-Left | Vehicle KPH | Daily Average: 3.39
    16030 - MR1 Fracture-Left | Vehicle KPH | Daily Average: 3.50
    17013 - Comet VM2-Left | Vehicle KPH | Daily Average: 3.64
    16013 - NCM2 Falcon-Left | Vehicle KPH | Daily Average: 3.83
    16028 - NCM3 Raven-Left | Vehicle KPH | Daily Average: 4.32
    Sorted in terms of effectiveness against vehicles.
    • Up x 4
  2. FateJH

The problem with the Fractures was how well they worked against Infantry. Lowering the raw damage per rocket while recalculating the resistances would have been workable. Instead they just lowered the raw damage and added an acceleration mechanic that isn't intuitive to the interface and occasionally interferes with their intended role.
    The only mercy is that they don't drop like a stone.
  3. Ztiller

That's exactly what they did.
    • Up x 1
  4. \m/SLAYER\m/

so AP tank not an option?!
  5. Saool

Prowler?
  6. Shatteredstar

The main issue I think is at the mid-long and long ranges where tanks tend to trade shots or she'll back and forth or as a deterant but not an outright kill. Both pounder and fracture lack potency at ranges where the tanks are still a threat and nc and vs have options to engage in some fashion.

As someone who enjoys playing max units I actually don't much find the fractures too useful. They don't really threaten infantry enough to keep them from going "I'll just charge that max!" And they seem to drop hard that makes longer range response trickier than other options like vanu comet and vortex or Ravens (then again can anything really compare to Ravens?)

I think really TR could benefit from fractures getting a little less drop and a bit more velocity on the shots, or double the mag and fire rate and leave the rest as is (lockdown with that would be a beautiful rain of rockets)

I could also agree coyote mechanic against ground vehicles would be super awesome as well for them and help to make up some of the shortcomings.

As for the infantry. Striker still is bleh, it needs something to threaten ground, and even as is the striker doesn't do much for midrange aircraft that are not hovering. Needs a wider lock on area or a fast real lock on that is needed per rocket (like a .5 second lock on time per shot or something? Not wanting to weaken just trying to think of a way to make it more useful). Maybe apply that to ground and air or something I don't know but it feels like it needs some love still.
  7. FateJH

They didn't recalculate the resistances. All MAX AV weapons have always fallen under the same damage resistance numbers - Medium Anti-Armor Ordnance, as it is currently given on the resistance table. Only the Vortex was removed from that category to take advantage of its charge mechanics.

Unless you can recall a change after PU2 (17 December 2013).
  8. Bananenweizen

Is there a reason to post the performance of the left and only the left guns of each kind while talking about the overall effectiveness?

Looking at the complete AV arsenal/potential of the MAX I would say that TR is the shafted faction indeed. While Pounders are the best AI killers from all AV guns they are in general worse than Comets/Falcons for close/middle range vehicle hunting. And Fractures have the shortest effective range out of long range AV MAX weapons.

And no, having access to the AP Prowler is no answer here because a) fighting tanks with tanks is not always possible/effective/optimal and b) if only one faction out of three has to rely solely on their tanks to fight back enemy armor that's just not balanced.
    • Up x 4
  9. Ztiller

Seeing as how the VS realistically cannot rely on their own tank to fight other tanks altogether, i'd say it's quite well balanced.
  10. Xasapis

For comparison purposes it makes little difference if you check only the left, only the right or both.
  11. Shatteredstar

I think it does myself as looking at left only skews things.

Do you think a burster max is as likely to get kills if they have only one burster or does two increase the killing potential? Similarly does 1 comet perform the same for kill potential of EITHER arm if there are two?

Having both increases the likelihood of scoring a kill with either arm and ignoring the second gun ignores the platform's damage potential as a whole.

One pounder or one fracture may be better compared to a single unit of the others but it doesn't tell a whole story even if you just double and say left=right because it doesn't work like that at least I don't believe it does as kill potential and threat change greatly for a give role when both weapons fit that role.

Or would you argue one comet/vortex/raven are just as good as two at once and just as effective?
  12. Xasapis

You are over analysing it. Feel free to go to the site, add both hands, see that it makes no difference in comparing the weapons and post us the results. I'll be waiting.

(Basically the API is tracking them as two weapons, so the site present it in that format. When we want to compare the weapons, it really doesn't matter which arm you pick or both, as the results are consistent).

(Edit 2: It seems that you are under the false assumption that the site is tracking the MAX, while in reality the site is tracking the weapon itself. That's why it makes little difference if you pick either left or right side or add them both. You'll be doing it for all weapons anyway)
    • Up x 1
  13. Towie

Umm - as others have said - get an AP Prowler; it's an absolute beast against ANY vehicle and that most definitely includes the Magrider.

In fact - the P2-120 AP gun it is the number one reason for Magrider deaths AND Vanguard deaths - also Lightning kills, Sunderer too, against Harasser it is second (suicide is number one !)

To put that into perspective, the number one reason for Prowler deaths is VS C4 - not even another MBT cannon.

Go onto the test server - pull an AP Prowler just to try it out. For added fun max the Lockdown and see just how fast it can spray pain. It really is quite satisfying...
  14. Ogopogo

Generally speaking, TR has a hole in it's arsenal regarding infantry level long range anti tank weapons.
    • Up x 9
  15. Shatteredstar

Don't think I don't notice lol TR taught me better than NC or VS how to handle rocket fall to poke at long range tanks that don't move.

It's why if like to see higher velocity and less fall on fractures to be more of a threat at the ranges where tr starts having to get into vehicles to threaten things, at least then the max unit could project power a bit more.

Similarly Id love to see striker missles fly faster too.
    • Up x 3
  16. Shatteredstar

That's what bugs me some about those stats, they don't seem to address the platform but only the weapon itself. Sort of like when people compare tank main guns or secondaries in absence of the other weapon which can have a great difference on kill potential (when at least an average gunner is involved). Two weapons for a give role will always boost kill potential for that role but by looking at just the weapon stats feels like we are missing part of the story.
  17. Axehilt

The Striker was inferior to the Annihilator before the change, so the change didn't matter.

Infantry AV is universally a terrible way to "deny" MBTs, so the change matters even less (even less than not mattering.) (Actually Lancers and AV turrets remain overpowered, especially in groups, and should be reduced in effective range just as PPAs have been reduced in effective range (apparently) on test.)

If you want to kill tanks, you pull A2G aircraft or a tank. A well-geared harasser or sunderer also works if you have the players to make it happen.

As the best way to kill tanks, the number of additional ways you could kill tanks is irrelevant -- all that really matters are the best weapons you can field and if you have 0 weapon types or 40 beyond that, it doesn't matter much.
  18. Bananenweizen

My personal experience (not so important) as well as actual ingame statistics (much more that) show us that Magrider is doing pretty ok at fighting enemy armor.

Not that you would ever admit it :p

Usually, yes. In this particular case, no. Vortex has a strange anomaly: in the right hand it performs significantly better than in the left one, while both Fractures and Ravens have similar performance for both hands.
    • Up x 2
  19. Shatteredstar

Disagree here you had good points until this.

Lancer individually is not really a threat to MBTs or even lightnings. Even charged you would need as many shots as you have with reserve to kill one, assuming he doesn't move. Now in a GROUP sure it can get crazy but that is getting into the realm of "teamwork and coordination make this weapon op" which is silly to balance a weapon around that.

Similarly the AV mana turret is more or less fine now, it can hit hard but you're pretty much sniper bait when on it and just placing it is like an announcement to everyone everywhere "shoot at this". Good for a free hit or two but expect divine retribution from snipers or the tank you shot at. Again, multiples at once? Ya ouch. But these are more like a slow firing immobile raven with a much squishier thing firing it.

You seem to dislike weapons that work well in groups, bursters are op vs air in groups as well you know, three burster maxes will effectively shut down air if they have any aim.

Heck I'm fairly certain you could call libs op in groups of you had a good squadron of them.

Balancing around how effective in coordinated play something is is probably the weirdest argument for things.

If you ment base turrets...uhh Ya I don't know what to say there
  20. sindz

Neither does Vortex. They couldnt kill infantry even if your target was AFK. It's supposed to be like that, its a trade off. You trade your AI capability for AV. I know TR have been spoiled by how the fractures used to work and how the pounders currently work.

And hitting anything longrange with comets is hard. Yes there is bulletdrop, but its 90 velocity. Pounders goes up to 180. Vortex have them fractures beat in longrange, but fractures demolish vortex at closer ranges, so again its balanced.

If you buffed the fractures like you proposed they would be game breaking like they were earlier.