Give Enginners and LA a weaker shield, instead of nerfing HA. Shields take a lot Skill and add depth

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by G.O.A.T, Mar 24, 2014.

1. G.O.A.T

Im tired of this notion that Shields don't take skill. They do, I use shields all the time. People claiming is an "Iwin" button obviously don't know how to use LA/Infiltrator to there full capabilities, because I own HA with them.

First of all you gotta know when to use a shield. I don't just use it all the time, if I can get a kill without activating it, guess what I do because I don't want to waste it.

2nd of all you control strafing speed with the shield, believe it or not. I sometimes throw off my opponents by deactivating my shield, they don't expect the sudden change of strafing speed.

Now putting a shield delay, will make Strafing speed management impossible!.....The delay will also not make sense in a fast paced game like Planetside, this is a game where you think quickly and do, we need an instant shield.

As you can see, using the shield properly is the reason why some people are very good as HA.....We just don't push it anytime we see an enemy.

Now here is what I suggest however for the people crying about shields.....Give LA/Engineers weak shields.

A weak Shield (weaker than HA) LA/Engineers can activate by pressing F

Here is why, the shields a lot more depth to the game.

1.Shield Management skill
    2.Strafing speed management

Both of wish increases the skill cap of the game.

LA/Engineers both don't use the F ability, a weak shield will give them a nice buff, specially to LA....Now LA/engineer can take on a HA 1 vs 1....and no matter how much LA sucks now, he can beat HA if he hits him from behind.

I would say give Medic/Infiltrator a shield but they already use there special F abilities.

All these shields will just add depth to the game.
  2. DeadliestMoon

Answer one simpe question, do you think you should be able to win a fight against someone who gets the drop on you by turning on your sheild?
    • Up x 12
  3. Killerdude8

Yes, Let's further hinder 2 classes in 1v1 combat, Spectacular idea.
    Why didn't I think of this?

/sarcasm

Also, Nerfing the Shields is considered a Buff?

I...
    What?
  4. G.O.A.T

If you have enough skill to turn the tides, why not?....If you suck and can't kill a guy who has his back turned to you, you deserve to die.

Plain and simple.

I kill heavies who turn up there shield when I get the drop on them..I seriously can't believe some of you people can't because you lack skill.

The people claiming shields are instant win...Are people who lack skill to keep there aim steady to kill an unsuspecting foe.

If it was up to you people anybody should die from one shot when being shot from behind because you don't have the skill to aim.
    • Up x 1
  5. G.O.A.T

Im talking about them having a Shield on top of there regular shield....Like HA.

A shield they can activate!
  6. Killerdude8

Hmm.
    Nah, Engineers aren't combat units and LA's have the Maneuverability, I think the Overshield should just be an HA thing.
  7. doombro

I'm sorry, but you're not being very convincing. Pressing F to get a free chunk of HP doesn't take skill at all and doesn't add any real depth.
    • Up x 8
  8. Robes

Pressing f takes skill now? Can't say im surprised, pressing a single button is hard work.
  9. DeadliestMoon

Okay then.

/thread.
  10. Wobberjockey

wait, pressing f is a skill?
    adding EHP for a small move speed decrease is a mistake?

next you are going to tell me the beamer is the games most effective AT weapon.
    • Up x 4
  11. G.O.A.T

You people didn't read my OP obviously.

I explain how you don't just press F..The way you use it is really circumstantial, I try not to waste it..I also control movement speed with it.

Anybody who presses F when they are about to kill someone is a horrible HA, which is probably most of you people speaking about something u don't know how to use.

Believe it or not, it's good to deactivated when u r in 1 vs 1.....Yeah DEACTIVATE because of the movement speed control.

Please learn how to play this game.
  12. DevDevBooday

Ah this HA 'nerf' is actually put in to ADD depth to HA

Atm its 'I got hit, press F' That aint depth boy.

You gotta know when to use your shield you say.
    This is EXACTLY what the HA update is going to do.

Not only do you need to press 'F' (hard I know) but you will need to know when as well

HA shield will now be proactively used instead of reactive.

The shield is no weaker than before but now it isnt a 'get out of jail free card' when you stupidly walk into a room full of enemies.

Best part is? If you use it well you will even have a health advantage over OTHER HAs because you were smart and turned it on before rounding the corner whilst he turned it on as a reflex action cuz he dumbbbb, So you have more health than him.

Then when he dies you can send him a tell saying

'Do you even shield?'
    • Up x 1
  13. doombro

Overshields take about as much decision making skills as ADSing. Which compared to using LA jetpacks and infiltrator cloaks is to say, not very much at all.

Deciding when to take an HP boost is a much easier call than deciding when to expose yourself.
  14. Paragon Exile

I clicked on this thread expecting funny sarcasm.

I leave a disappointed man.
    • Up x 3
  15. Phyr

This is not a PSA. Stop using that tag or we will be forced to take... measures >.>
    • Up x 1
  16. Paragon Exile

I've reconsidered my above post, I think OP is trollin'

Are you for real dude? Did you run into the post office and drink all the ink?
  17. deggy

Everyone knows that, duh. I have so many vehicle kills with my Beamer, when I charge it up all the way it fires Decimator rockets!
    I, and other ForumSiders, are here for you. Your lack of comedic joy is something I aspire to correct!

And now it's time for

How it should have been written, by Deggy.

I'm really tired of the idea that Heavy Shield doesn't take skill. My finger flicks from its resting place in ADAD position to the F key with lightning rapidity, my reaction time tested to the max by the requirement of a button press for the Shield activation.

Sometimes, I don't use the Shield, and I still kill things. It's actually easier that way! Without the worry of Shield operation on my mind, I'm free to think about other aspects of combat, like pressing and holding M1.

Also, sometimes I find that the Shield's current downside actually functions as a downside and matters in some way. This is a big deal, because in those cases I have to manage my reflexes to press F again before the Shield actually expires on its own.

However, adding a ramp-up time to the Shield is a horrible idea, because HA was designed to be the kill class. Other classes weren't designed to get kills. That's why Heavy Assault is the only class with any weapons! If the Medic was supposed to be in combat, wouldn't he have an Assault Rifle or something?

As you can see, the Heavy Shield is the only thing securing the dominance of the Heavy Assault in its intended environment. Heavies are designed to be better than other classes at killing things indoors, while also being higher than average at killing things outdoors. Their higher infantry-killing power is balanced out by their higher anti-vehicle power. In exchange, they lack the ability to use sticky grenades, which are clearly a very powerful item.

I think that to avoid making Heavy seem too powerful, we should:

Break two other classes so you don't nerf mine.

Here is why, the shields a lot more depth to the game.

1. The lightning-fast 'F-pressing' reflex has become well-known in MLG circles. If SOE ever wants this game to be MLG-ready, it needs to stay.

2. I enjoy using the shield strategically and tactically. Situations definitely exist where activating the shield is ill-advised, like when there are no enemies in the hex, or while I'm staring at the respawn screen! Clearly the Shield requires a lot of forethought.

Both of these things are completely valid reasons, and this request isn't self-serving at all or a bad idea.

There are buttons that some classes, like Heavy, use, that some classes, like Light Assault, don't. And since F-pressing training programs for MLG professionals are already cropping up, it's important that we extend this high-skill-cap maneuver to as many classes as possible.
    • Up x 8
  18. Paragon Exile

I genuinely had a great laugh :D

The funny thing is, you only had to distort/spellcheck the OP a little bit to get it!
  19. deggy

I do my best, he gave me a lot to work with :p
  20. Robes

I'm pretty sure i know how to play, fairly decent at it aswell. So far you've had to include "you dont know how to play, only i do" in your argument to people who disagree with you, that right there proves your argument can't hold its on weight so theres really nothing more to be said on it.