Easter Eggs

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Cappen, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Cappen Member

I don't normally read through lengthy dialogues during quests cause I am usually in a hurry to get on with what I am doing but I just happened to glance at my chat window as I was doing the Qeynos questline and noticed a really cool easter egg.
    [IMG]

Am I missing out on any other amusing easter eggs by skipping through quest dialogue?
    Vashte, Palarran, Hiza and 4 others like this.
  2. Occam Well-Known Member

Hard to top a Firefly easter egg! :)
    Dude, Amnerys and Slant like this.
  3. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

If there are any Shakespeare peoples out there, the round white building in Qeynos Harbor aught to ring some bells. Globe theatre!
    ^_^ (Wish you could get in!)[IMG]
  4. Tariya Active Member

Do you know Nightwish?
    In Maj'Dul upon the first stairs there is an artist-npc Taria Truomen.
    If you speak to her, she will tell you something about her career ^^.

I love this gimmick and every time when I go to Maj'Dul I visit her. :)

LG
    Tariya
    Palarran, Siren and Cyliena like this.
  5. Griffon Lady Well-Known Member

Oh! Any Terry Pratchet fans out there? I just went to Emperor's Athenaeum (in jarsath wastes) to grab some furniture from that merchant in there and realised it's a tip of the old hat to Cut-Me-Own-throat Dibbler. XD He even sells Sausage inna bun!
    Palarran, Zozzo, Deago and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wildlord New Member

Bindi the Croc Hunter < Easter egg NPC in Sinking Sands? When I first encountered the NPC, I immediately new it was in reference to Steve Irwin's daughter. lol
  7. Tariya Active Member

Sometimes we should read names backwards,
    beginning with ... Qeynos ^^ .

There are Mobs (Lizardmen) in Feerrott, their names start with "Alliz":
    Alliz Evol Ew
    Alliz Tae Ew
    and so on - read them backwards. :D
    Griffon Lady and Feara like this.
  8. Cappen Member

Good stuff!
  9. Tetrol Well-Known Member

Just picked one up for the first time - an orc ghost in the siege meadow outside the graveyard called out "I see live people" - for those that saw The Sixth Sense
    Griffon Lady and Calthine like this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

This is true almost all the lizardmen tribes:
    There are also some froglock NPCs that are the same:
    Another type of "easter egg" are the occasional "hidden quests" and "forum lore quests":
    Then there are the homages to other games:
    And the occasional sly joke, literary reference, or popular culture reference:
  11. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Quest in Loping Plains called "Snakes on the Plains" as well.

Devs are just as prone to pop culture smirks as the rest of us. :D
  12. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

We first encountered Nek 3 on Venekor - a PvP server. We thought it was hysterical that the last group evac'd from us just before they were about to be killed.
  13. Roane Member

Adam and Jamie who have you shoot things at test dummies in Gnomeland Security.
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Anagram names:
    • The Mother of All, Tunare (nature)
    • The Winter Goddess, E'ci (ice)
    • The Fathom Lord, Tarew Marr (water)
    • The Veiled One, Povar (vapor)
    • The Queen of Air, Xegony (oxygen)
    • The Council, Rathe (earth)
    • The Mother of All Wurms, Veeshan (heavens)
    • The Prime Healer, Rodcet Nife (fine docter) (misspelled!)
    • The Tyrant of Fire, Fennin Ro (infernno) (misspelled!)
  15. Cloudrat Well-Known Member

I added a side by side of this and the Qeynos one in the Look and Feel section of the forums with a thanks to griffon lady:)
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  16. Guy de Alsace Member

If you look back at Dropship Landing in Moors of Ykesha from UJL, it looks like the robot from Short Circuit.

Also Ykesha is an anagram of Shakey
    Captain Selrahc in Jarsath Wastes - Charles backward.

Theres Orly and Yarly - the Hooluks in Barren Sky
    Griffon Lady likes this.
  17. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Some more for you:

One of the mobs required for a Court of Coin quest in Sinking Sands/Croc Caves is 'Bindi the Croc Hunter'. Bindi Irwin is Steve Irwin's daughter.
    Frostfell village - Climb through a magic wardrobe to get to a snow land! (Narnia) , in the Winter Wonderland Village Fleck had his tongue stuck to a pole near the closet.
    Lu Sywaka on the third floor of the monk tower in Isle of Mara
    Deathfist Citadel, you can now get a quest called "The Right Brothers" from Oarwille Wight (Orville Wright) in Zek that requires you to find his brother Wulbir Wight (Wilbur Wright) in the citadel.
    EF npc Haijakt: His name means "Shark Hunt" in norwegian/swedish ...kinda fitting
    Court of Al Afaz: The zone is based on the songs "In The Court Of The Crimson King", "Moonchild", "Epitaph" and "I Talk To The Wind" by british prog rockers King Crimson.
    Edghar Toad and his brother = variants of the vampire hunting brothers in "The Lost Boys"
    Village of Shin are two kids named Hu Mi and Wai Mi
    In the Peak Bog they added two Guards... Blackguard (handle of one of the original Community Managers) and Moorguard after Steve "Moorgard" Danuser one of the original Sony Devs for EQ2.
    Jimbo, Dolph and Kearney ("The NEW Steel Warriors") outside Windstalker.... (Simpsons Reference)
    In Scale Yard, a barbarian says "My great-grandfather once killed a man in Qeynos, just to watch him die." A reference to "I once killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die."
    You have the 2 innguards in WFP, named Floatsam and Jetsam, a reference to Disney's The Little Mermaid (or the band).
    Also Kerra island has a quest name can i has... where you make a hamburger.
    There are two NPCs in Steamfont named Emory and Oglethorpe, a reference to the aliens from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
    Piluphii the destroyer the 3 headed Dog in SH (Sound out the name)
    Griffon Lady and Tariya like this.
  18. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Some of the Weaponsmith and Armorer Tradeskill Writs are named after titles of Terry Pratchett novels. These are the ones I noticed (so there may be more that I didn't catch): Guards, Guards! (Armorer 73 writ), The Night Watch (Armorer 75 writ), and Men At Arms (Weaponsmith, 73 writ).
  19. Kalmaraa Active Member

On Kerra Isle there is a whole quest series based on LOL cats, even the name of the quest giver is from that.

Befallen: Necroctic Asylum has a few
    Captian Hamyr and Wilhelm Horrorbile <Doctor of Corruption> are refences to Dr Horrible's Sing-along-Blog.

[IMG][IMG]

If you want proof!

There are others I just can't recall them off the top of my head.
    Palarran and Tariya like this.
  20. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Griffon Lady and Tariya like this.