Critical Error - Failed to create D3D device ... D3Derr_notavailable error

Discussion in 'General Tech Support Questions' started by ARCHIVED-Denyl, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Denyl Guest

I've noticed that the knowledge base is missing a potential answer to this problem. This error message is commonly caused by Everquest 2 attempting to use a resolution and refresh rate that is no longer suppoted by your computer system. For example - use of a new plug and play LCD monitor.

To fix this error open your Everquest 2 directory. The default path for this directory is:

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II

Once inside open up eq2_default.ini - make sure the following lines are present and the values match:

cl_screenwidth 1024
    cl_screenheight 768

Often the cl_screenheight will be too large for your new monitor - simply change their values to reflect what is shown above here and then close and save the file.

Now open up eq2_recent.ini - check the following lines and make sure the values match:

cl_screenwidth_windowed 800
    cl_screenheight_windowed 600

cl_screenwidth 1024
    cl_screenheight 768
    cl_screenrefresh 60

Make sure that the windowed values are smaller than the non-windowed values. If you are using an LCD display make sure that the cl_screenrefresh rate matches your LCD's rate exactly.
    Change cl_screenwidth/height to match whatever you used for values in the last file. Close and save the file.

Everquest 2 should now run just fine.

[Edit] Some players (especially with nVidia cards) have reported that turning off V-Synch in the Game Options, as well as their Display Properties in Windows, will resolve a D3Derr_notavailable error. [/edit]

Message Edited by TSR-Cory S on 02-20-200602:11 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-ScottAdams Guest

Excellent tip! I am bookmarking this post.
  3. ARCHIVED-BowiDick Guest

I couldn't find a file labeled eq2_recent. Any other suggestions for me?