Look and Feel

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by ttobey, May 6, 2015.

1. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I remember having to run across Norrath when EQ didn't have pok books. Eeesh.

Anyway, I use third person so I can watch the combat, and watch the area around my character. Very important.

I found out just how important it was when attacking the frost giants in Great Divide in EQ.

I didn't notice anything, then there was that sound they make when attacking, and I see a red ring at the corner or my screen. Odd, I thought, the Frost Giant Scout is 'loading please wait'. light blue.

So I started using 3rd person view all of the time.
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

In Cobalt Scar, I liked that there were shinies that only spawned up on top of the rocks, you could complete the entire collection but you could not run up onto any of them. You had to fly.

I don't think that Greater Faydark or Lesser Faydark seem any smaller because I can fly in them or Butcherblock or any of the older zones, so I do not have a clue where that idea came from. I spend a lot of time in the older zones by choice, I much prefer the art of the older zones, over the art of the newer zones.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I usually always use the 3rd person. I only use 1st person if I am decorating and need to see something up close for placement.
  4. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Molten foundation ( I think I got that correct), which contains items to make some of the depots, are mostly up on top of rocks.
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  5. Breanna Well-Known Member

Late to the party I know. But I also always play in 3rd person and the only time I use 1st person is when I decorate. You gotta be able to see the big baddie sneaking up behind you.
    Cyrrena, Soara2, SolarFaire and 3 others like this.
  6. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Make character models viewpoint default in all situations, and then have an "Disable mount view bobbing" as an option in game for those who get seasick or prefer the mount POV?

Oddly enough Minecraft has a similar option, to stop your screen bobbing when you run.
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  7. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Yeah that's what we would want but currently we can't do. If the player camera is attached to player head, and the player is moving up and down on a mount, the player camera is going to move up and down on a mount. That's why there is a mount camera/eyepoint.
    Cyrrena, Soara2, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  8. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

The camera eyepoint is attached to the root joint. The root joint doesn't move up and down, the Base joint does.
  9. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

So when the player is unmounted his camera doesn't move because it its attached to the his root joint. When a player is mounted, his root joint gets attached to a saddle joint on the mount. So now his root is moving, making his camera/eyepoint move which is why it needs to switch to mount's eyepoint which is attached to mount's root which doesn't translate.
  10. Bludd Well-Known Member

root joint connected to the base joint
    base joint connected to the saddle joint
    saddle joint connected to the crotch joint
    and now hear the word of the Lord
    Cyrrena, Soara2, Raff and 4 others like this.
  11. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Getting your root joint attached to a saddle joint sounds painful. I do find it funny when seeing another character flying and they look like they are below the mount and either hanging on or being held in the claws of the critter.
  12. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

That's probably them LODing. Not only do polys get lower, joint count goes down too and I can't control which joints disappear.
  13. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I love watching people ride a rabbit mount , they get tossed up and come down hard , ouch I got one now if we could feel playing the game I can only imagine how that would feel to my funny bone .
  14. Breanna Well-Known Member

I hated those squiggly things we got for Maldura. When you watched someone ride them it was like the person stayed in place and didn't move with the mount, it always looked horrible.

The broom mount though is spectacular!!!!!
  15. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Gee Thanks.
  16. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I don't agree that flight and/or fast mounts make the world feel smaller. If there is anything more annoying than having to run, on the ground (or swim) in Everfrost both ways uphill in the snow to do quests, I don't know what it is. Everfrost still felt huge even when the horse stations went in.

And Qeynos? ZOMG, I am so glad there are bells all around the city now, because I have a NQ guildhall and I *really* don't want to have to run through a couple of zones to get there if I came in via wizard port or world travel bell to the docks.

BoL was extremely annoying on foot on the first toon through who had sub-par gear. My lower level crafters haven't finished the tradeskill line there because without flight and with so very many quick-respawning mobs everywhere, it's so painful to do. Especially while searching for the seeping darkness, there are places you can't get to because the mobs do not path out of your way ever, and a level 90 toon can't shrug off a single hit and keep running. The alt issue would be MUCH better if, after you have unlocked flight ONCE, your alts could fly thereafter from the beginning.

People who are into shinies or crafting do cover the ground afoot so we can harvest and find collection items. People who are into exploring and discovering new places or finding odd item quests definitely take their time with it, and flying won't get you where you need to go in just any zone.

I personally still feel that the "no flight because gravity differences" was nothing more than an extremely artificial and painful way to slow us down as we moved through content. This is not how I want to be slowed down. As with sex, ideally one should enjoy the journey as much as the destination. I love little side quests that have nothing much to do with the sig line, but which do expose lore in bits and pieces. I'd love more information about how Sanctus Seru was founded and how it became a magico-religious dictatorship. Did the bugs come from that meteor in The Blinding, or were they already there?

Or, since the moon is ancient and there are layers of occupation, it would be cool to come across a small dirt pile on rare occasion, and dig up a quest starter, or a house item, or even a well-preserved tome that explicates more of the lore.
    In theory, most of Luclin's lore should be available from EQ1. USE IT! And decorators are never gonna complain about more house items.

The cool part of these types of side quests is that the people who only quest so they can get busy raiding can do that, while those who want to take their time and learn more can do that as well. The richness and depth of the quests is what makes a zone feel big.
  17. ttobey Makes the Monsters Move

Sigrdrifa just killed our PG-13 rating.
    Cyrrena, Soara2, Snikkety and 7 others like this.
  18. Nuggetmachine Member

[IMG]
    Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I like the squiggly eel mount , it's different and no annoying flapping wings
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  20. Raff Well-Known Member

Alas...the eel mount would look more at home on the business end of a large fishhook.