UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Zartayn Member

Gameplay will not be normal during that period, when you choose to do this during both halloween and LUGU coin bonus time...

I find that planning incredible frustrating and partly insulting - if you wanted "normal", then do this during a "normal" week, not during one of the very few rush-periods for coins, before summer event ends...

Very disappointed :(
    Pixistik, Rebelde, Juraiya and 2 others like this.
  2. Malabaster Member

I don't see how you can expect anyone to "continue as normal." I have used a custom UI since I started playing the game. The few times I have tried to use the default UI have been miserable. I will absolutely not even be logging in during this test period, and I am willing to bet that others won't log in either, so your entire "test" will not provide you with accurate results.
    Rosyposy, Pixistik, Rebelde and 3 others like this.
  3. Tabri Well-Known Member

I just came back to game after 3.5 yrs gone 3 days ago or so Im glad I found this thread I was going to try to reload Profit UI which I used to use years ago, guess I wont now Yikes :eek:
    Cyrrena and chattie like this.
  4. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

I never used a custom UI and I raid , there are problems with the default one yes , but I don't think it's all that bad
    I have a way bigger problem having no maps in those dungeons .
    I used to get lost the first years , when I did not have EQ2 maps yet , and catching up with a group was even worse when you don't know what way to go
    such tests can not be performed on test , the reason is not that nobody raids on test for say , nobody raids on the public test server , because there are not usually enough people on to raid .
    the problems are also not just happening during raids , but elsewhere too .
    To test this has to be done on a well populated server , or even better several
    And make sure you know the difference between the Public Test Server and a short time Beta server .
    Rosyposy, Cyrrena, Rhodris and 4 others like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

I really don't get all the angst. The company is troubleshooting to find the sources of lag. That's a good thing.

Why do it during a big event? Because there will be a lot of people to generate data for the troubleshooting. Is it annoying? Sure. Is it more annoying than persistent lag? Not by a long shot.

A lot of people complained about the lag. The company listened and is attempting to find the sources of the lag and fix it. This is literally exactly what we should want from a company.
    Bishia, Cyrrena, Juraiya and 5 others like this.
  6. Mysstie Well-Known Member

I would suggest that everyone make backups of their (Server)_(Toon)_eq2_uisettings.xml files. If it actually backs up your current ones before loading into the default UI, I would be surprised.
    Mermut, Cyrrena and Tkia like this.
  7. Rougad New Member

So the solotion to get us to log in and play the game regardless of the useless default ui (and to put up with the pain to play with it) just to help you test something out, is to just make it possible to grind the same old zones using the crap ui even more? lol!

How about removing some of 5000 stats, fervor, combat mit, procs, spelleffects and so on, that the game have to calculate every fraction of each second? Feels like that would be a more probable candidate of causing lag than a ui on the client side.
    Rosyposy and Pixistik like this.
  8. AvenElonis Well-Known Member

For the record - I generally do not get lag in the game. Times when I have seen lag - exiting PQs (they fixed that with the change in the zoning out), Contested Raid Zone with more than 1 raid force in there (that got fixed because most folks do not brother with the Contested Raid Zone now), and then finally the dreaded waiting to zone into any zone lag - thinking that is a server thing.

But then I have EQ2 on solid state HD, really fast NVidia card, and a stable high speed internet.
    Dude and Cyrrena like this.
  9. Games'nGhosts Active Member

Fine by me, I don't use anything but the default.
  10. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

ya know.. remember the Proving Grounds? I seem to vaguely recall something where zoning into that hot mess stripped custom UI's too.. or maybe it just messed with hotbars?

inb4 zoning into a raid zone disables custom UI's
    Cyrrena likes this.
  11. Beee Well-Known Member

Some missing things playing as a non healer in the default UI:
    DarqUI Stat Monitor with flashing colors and/or sound if value outside is a range
    DarqUI Some free stat values in the startbar (like Resolve, CB, Fervor, potency, doublecast, ability doublecast)
    DarqUI GearBuffMacro (equiping an item, use it, and put the old back after some seconds)
    DarqUI Thread alert and flashing (a sound if thread goes above 80%)
    Changing the size of detrimental effects icons for a large monitor
    Changing the size of effects icons of the target for a large monitor

But I understand the necessarity for finding the source of the lags. *thumbpress*

There will be much less lag next week because of much less players (maybe icluding myself)
    Rosyposy likes this.
  12. Katey Member

Thank you for all of your testing and hard work. I play every single day and only group a few times a day to do dailies and such but I've never seen any of the lag some are speaking of. It's going to be a hard week without maps and the custom UI but it's good to see such care being taken for your customers.
    Bishia, Breanna, Dude and 3 others like this.
  13. Nilka Member

Ok, I am on Kaladim server and have seen no lag to speak of. Even in raids with spells going off, its all good. I do not have the bestest, biggest, most expensive pc set up. Just a medium set up with graphics set as balanced. I have also at times, used highest quality with no lag. I use Profit UI and EQ2maps and have since day 1 of EQ2. I mainly solo and and do some raiding.
    I am not happy about losing my Profit and maps for a week and I was about to restart my 2nd acct but I think not now. I will play WOW or something if I feel the need to game when this testing starts. I think you picked the wrong time to try this and I have no problems with fixing issues. Even tho, I have not seen any other than an occasional msg that I can't use that spell till
    level 95, even tho it is in my spells and is for that level. Perhaps, you might have given the timing of this testing a bit more thought.
  14. Xevran Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what performance issues they're looking for here, but during the launch week of DoF Kaladim had terrible spell lag. SS specifically was nearly unplayable during prime time.
  15. Bludd Well-Known Member

@dreamweaver: how will this work? do we need to back up local files or will everything be handled serverside?
    I don't want to have to reinstall a lot of stuff and have my settings changed. hope we can get some details on this
    Cyrrena likes this.
  16. Naramsin Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the updates, and thank you for your dedication and effort in getting to the bottom of this issue!

But I wonder if you have considered discontinuing the Kunark PQs to determine if it may be a contributing source of the lag.
    It seems no one ever participates in them since the last expansion, and besides the rewards are now not adequate for the current levels of the current expansion.
    So since they are not necessary to complete any quests, perhaps they need to be discontinued and removed from the game, just a thought.
    Juraiya likes this.
  17. Lemon Wolf Member

Sorry for dropping in like that but 1k?
    There isnt really a resolution like that.
    1920x1080 is mostly being described as 2k as it is very close to the DCI standard of 2048×1080.
    GPU RAM usage really isnt a problem with this game. The usage is so low it really doesnt matter much.
    I have two images to illustrate this.
    The first one was made using a game resolution of 1920x1080. The game is using 1152MB of GPU RAM. That is not much.
    [IMG]

The second image was made while running the game at 3840x2160. The game is using 1742 MB GPU RAM. Still not much.
    [IMG]

Why would the CPU have to do more work? The strain on the CPU is not dependent on the resolution.
    The GPU however has to do more work when increasing resolution.
    EQ2 is not well optimized as we all know. It has extremely bad CPU utilization.
    The fps at 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 were identical, which highlights the optimization problem.
    The game has a gigantic CPU bottleneck.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  18. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

They are not, you will still have a normal amount of time to clear if you are doing progression.
    Breanna, Dude and Cyrrena like this.
  19. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

To be safe I would back up your local files, but the actual change is on our side.
    Breanna, Dude, Cyrrena and 1 other person like this.
  20. Contessia Active Member

stupid question but is eq2 maps gonna be gone too?