Direct X 11 issues

Discussion in 'Test Server Forum' started by Raeven, Feb 14, 2024.

1. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

Regarding my above comment, I must note that everything is black EXCEPT when I'm underwater, in which case I see the environment (yeah, well, I was so excited that I drowned).
    Note that I tried adding the d3dx11_42.dll in my Test server folder to no avail (remember we had to add the d3dx9 to the folder to get it to work?).
    Which lend me to think that, as I had the file in my folder, removing it might help too, so I removed d3dx11_42.dll and D3DX9_43.dll from the folder but it doesn't change anything either.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Raeven like this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Haven't even tried to muck about with any of those; went back in tonight (with a water-breathing race, just in case; didn't try swimming ;->) and at least was able to get all the new Brewday books. X-P

But, so much for testing anything... X-P

EDIT: Took a look at my Character Sheet, and my man in the middle was a translucent ghost of his former self. ;)

Uwk
    seriously, three major holidays? Erollisi, Chrono, Brewday, and they do this? :-/
    Raeven and Whilhelmina like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

My bad for not reading everything in the Road Map; they did say they'd be doing this to us, but they also said it would be in March... X-P

EDIT: And to be fair, Angeliana also said they'd be starting early with it...

Uwk
    Raeven and Whilhelmina like this.
  5. Arandar Well-Known Member

When you run the DirectX diagnostic tool (dxdiag), click on the Save All Information button on the bottom and it will prompt you to save a text file to your desktop called DxDiag.txt. Open that file in Notepad and search (Ctrl+F) for "Display Devices".

If you copy the text in that section of the file, it may help highlight potential issues. It doesn't need to be the entire file, but everything between the line that starts with "Card Name" down to the line that starts with "Rank of Driver". If your system has multiple displays, then there will be more than one of these but the first on listed should be your primary display.

For example, if you have an integrated graphics card, it might look something like this:

Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 750
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4C8A&SUBSYS_09C51028&REV_04
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 32696 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
    Shared Memory: 32568 MB
    Current Mode: Unknown
    HDR Support: Unknown
    Display Topology: Unknown
    Display Color Space: Unknown
    Color Primaries: Unknown
    Display Luminance: Unknown
    Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_e7f4a4c663908a12\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_e7f4a4c663908a12\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_e7f4a4c663908a12\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\iigd_dch.inf_amd64_e7f4a4c663908a12\igd12umd64.dll
    Driver File Version: 31.00.0101.4953 (English)
    Driver Version: 31.0.101.4953
    DDI Version: 12
    Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 2.7
    Hardware Scheduling: Supported:False Enabled:False
    Graphics Preemption: Primitive
    Compute Preemption: Thread group
    Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
    Detachable GPU: No
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Virtualization: Paravirtualization
    Block List: DISABLE_HWSCH
    Catalog Attributes: Universal:True Declarative:True
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 11/6/2023 4:00:00 PM, 2579680 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
    Device Identifier: Unknown
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x4C8A
    SubSys ID: 0x09C51028
    Revision ID: 0x0004
    Driver Strong Name: oem187.inf:5f63e5349706cb15:iRKLD_w10_DS:31.0.101.4953CI\VEN_8086&DEV_4C8A&SUBSYS_09C51028
    Rank Of Driver: 00CF0001

Take note of the Feature Levels there, that will tell you what versions of DirectX that your system supports.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

<skip>

Right; got the Feature Levels for my laptop earlier, but I think they call it something else for Win7.

I'll see what I can rustle up; thanks for the advice! :)

Okay, for the Win10 laptop:

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x1636)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Type: Full Device (POST)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1636&SUBSYS_879C103C&REV_C3
    Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 6315 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 496 MB
    Shared Memory: 5818 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
    Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
    Color Primaries: Red(0.620117,0.349609), Green(0.315430,0.615234), Blue(0.150391,0.113281), White Point(0.313477,0.329102)
    Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id: AUO229E
    Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.069Hz)
    Output Type: Internal
    Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
    Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
    Advanced Color: Not Supported
    Driver Name: C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0359349.inf_amd64_14a932a498cb67e4\B359612\aticfx64.dll,C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0359349.inf_amd64_14a932a498cb67e4\B359612\aticfx64.dll,C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0359349.inf_amd64_14a932a498cb67e4\B359612\aticfx64.dll,C:\windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0359349.inf_amd64_14a932a498cb67e4\B359612\amdxc64.dll
    Driver File Version: 27.20.11044.0007 (English)
    Driver Version: 27.20.11044.7
    DDI Version: 12
    Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
    Driver Model: WDDM 2.7
    Hardware Scheduling: Supported:False Enabled:False
    Graphics Preemption: DMA
    Compute Preemption: DMA
    Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
    Detachable GPU: No
    Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
    Power P-states: Not Supported
    Virtualization: Paravirtualization
    Block List: DISABLE_HWSCH
    Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:True
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 9/23/2020 04:00:00 PM, 2061752 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-5576-11CF-8B73-B88C78C2D635}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x1636
    SubSys ID: 0x879C103C
    Revision ID: 0x00C3
    Driver Strong Name: oem13.inf:cb0ae414f364ac93:ati2mtag_Renoir:27.20.11044.7:pCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1636&SUBSYS_879C103C&REV_C3
    Rank Of Driver: 00CF0000

[emphasis mine]

Uwk
  7. Raeven Well-Known Member

Arandar and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Arandar Well-Known Member

One thing that jumps out at me is your driver is about 3.5 years old. Might want to look to see if AMD has an updated video driver for your GPU.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Thanks; I'll have Da Techie Hubster look for that. ;->

Uwk
    Raeven likes this.
  10. Praezeptor Member

Uwkete, this should be the right driver for your AMD Ryzen 5 4500U with integrated graphic.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll definitely let him take a peek at it! :)

Uwk
    Raeven and Praezeptor like this.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

I don't dare try this on my laptop; I need it for too much real-life important stuff. But here I am on my 7 year old PC tower, feeling guilty for not helping. I have NZXT CAM running (a free diagnostic program that you don't need to log into to use, that monitors your CPU load, fan speed & heat, GPU load, fan speed and heat, RAM, hard drive etc. in real-time).

7700k Intel i-7 (water cooled, with front case fan, top case fan and rear case fan too)
    nividia card 3070 (I upgraded to this last year)
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    4K 32" Samsung UHD curved monitor (I upgraded to this last year as well)

I always have the most current video drivers in, and I do right now too.

Shockingly, I was able to log in and not get any black screens. However, my CPU temperature went up another 25 degrees right away vs playing the regular game (I checked NZXT CAM by playing on the TLs where I usually play first, then I downloaded and entered the Test server). And if I do anything else at all like even open Chrome web browser (which I have to do to even report in here on the forums), the CPU temp goes up another 10 degrees.

My video card temp went up about 15 degrees higher than it does on the TLs upon starting the game on the Test server, and it went up another 20 degrees with just having Chrome open at the same time as the game right now.

Honestly, while monitoring NZXT CAM, I'm just wandering around Thundering Steppes, Frostfang Sea, Antonica etc. and am going to buzz through Crypt of Betrayal, all to see how much difference the DX 11 is making graphically. Right now it seems like maybe a 20% improvement if even that. I suspect this is more like a removal of DX9 because as others have said it's too antiquated to continue using, than a radical improvement of the graphics.
  13. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Now that's how I like it! Looking forward to your findings! Arandar and I will be checking out for the temps too, already discussing it here. I would love to see us compare the temps vs performance etc. because one of the things that more modern API's such as DX11/12/Vulkan do is actually make more use of the cpu and gpu which leads to better performance and in some cases slightly higher temps due to the additional and more evenly distributed load. Comparing is a good idea though so we can make sure we're not crossing a red line here (New World comes to mind), hope more of us join the fun too. That's what I'm seeing on my end on Linux thus far, and I'll try to post some screenshots plus temps asap. About the 20% improvement and graphics: It was said that both performance and graphics ("new art to take advantage of dx11", "new dx11 features such as tesellation and more", see Angelina's introduction post) will come post DX11 launch at some point. First we make the successful jump to DX11, then comes the bug and glitch hunting that will most certainly be a hot topic of discussion before and post DX11 launch, then all the other good stuff will be further optimized as time goes on. This was also stated by one of the devs in the EQ1 forums IIRC. First they want to get the initial port right before all else. A 20% improvement on Windows for something that's still in Alpha / Beta and work in progress is actually already looking good in my eyes, and we haven't even actually started just yet. GW2 was underperforming when switching to DX11 from DX9 at first, and now DX11 vastly outperforms DX9 there too.
  14. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

TEST 1 (only gpu for now, will test CPU separately):

• RTX A2000 GPU
    • low profile, these usually get really hot during gaming
    • super small in size
    • single small fan
    • Minimum fan speed: 3000rpm
    • Maximum fan speed: not sure, I think it's going to be 4500-6000rpm, will have to verify this later
    • API: EQ2-DX11 via DXVK / Vulkan, OpenSUSE 15.5 Leap
    • Powermode: both cpu and gpu set to prefer maximum performance, lower power-states disabled via Powermizer, gpu is set to prefer max performance and run at max clocks at all times (core and mem)
    • First test: Qeynos all regions
    • Testing time: approx 30 minutes
    • Temperatur throughout the entire test: 70-82°C
    • Slowdown temp: 100C° (max temp when the gpu would throttle itself down automatically)
    • EQ2: extreme graphics, vsync with triple buffering enabled, tested both windowed at 1080p and fullscreen mode at 4k resolution (minimal difference between the two temp-wise, the fans adjust accordingly for the higher reso / load in my case)
    • Gamemode enabled on Linux (modifies the kernel to be more aggressive for all things gaming)
    • Automatic fan adjustment, no manual fan adjustment, gpu controls it all by itself

Screenshots for comparison:

Verdict first test Qeynos city:
    I chose Qeynos because I know how hard this main city can hit the hardware, especially when it rains and with all of the older shaders and shadows. Temps are all within normal behaviour. I additionally compared to DX9 and disabled DXVK/Vulkan in favor of OpenGL during a separate and very quick test with DX9, and temps were indeed a little bit lower, but the game ran like crap in comparison (fps-wise). I don't see my gpu ever crossing into the red area when gaming under EQ2-DX11 and Vulkan thus far. Everytime the temps go a into the low 80's then the fans start kicking it up above 4000rpm and then the temps go back down into their normal operating state and are well within tolerable numbers. Will continue to test other areas and report back when possible. Ideally we could test the same areas in order to better compare the numbers with eachother in the end. So if you see your temps go up anywhere, let the others know and I'll test the same zone or area. I might do another test with vsync off because that will let the gpu run at its absolute max, which could in theory trigger higher gpu temps (it usually always does for a brief moment but the fans just spin up higher to accommodate and bring the temps down).

PS: Blurred out parts of the Nvidia panel bc it shows information about my monitor (+ company name) that I use for work and that info is classified. *x-files*
  15. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Update, noticed during the test above: Switching between fullscreen and windowed and changing resolution back and forth about three or four times in a row makes the game crash all of a sudden and without error window. It just shuts down. Can be reproduced every single time.
  16. Beee Well-Known Member

A fix for the black enviroment:

removing from the config file eq2_recent the follwoing line
    cl_letter_box_amount 0.130000
    and the rendering works again ... whyever whatever this does should be fixed automatical ;)
  17. Whilhelmina Well-Known Member

I wanted to add, as I just did the test, that neither of my graphic cards (neither the integrated Radeon 610M nor the GeForce RTX 4070) are rendering the environment. I tried disabling completely one then the other and also tried disabling my custom UI.
    I also updated the drivers to the last version for both.

[IMG]
  18. Beee Well-Known Member

read the post above and remove cl_letter_box_amount - it will solve your problem :)

BTW: very nice fps rates with a copy of live setting
    [IMG]
  19. Sturmlocke Linux enthusiast playing EQ2 via Proton.

Way to go Bee! Those fps are insane too
  20. Beee Well-Known Member

The letterbox produces the black envirement reproduceable... just change it and you get a very very dark screen ;)