Fix for people unable to login/stuck/etc.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ŞɸƦѦ, Nov 13, 2020.

1. ŞɸƦѦ Member

Here is what I did. I don't know that this will work for everyone, but it worked for me. I hope it's okay to leave external links...

Go here https://www.avast.com/secureline-vpn#pc
    Download the VPN. There is a free 7 day trial with no credit card needed. Don't have to register an email or anything. Takes about 60 seconds.

Connect to wherever you want... I chose Canada.

Go to https://store.steampowered.com/app/201230/EverQuest_II/

Make a Steam account and download EverQuest 2 via Steam. This will do a full download and hopefully the game will be playable. This worked for me with my characters being stuck in certain zones and fixed the error you get when trying to patch the game.

Let me know if it works. Good luck!

Edit: I should note that I uninstalled/completely removed EQ2 before attempting this.
    WhysperWynde and Breanna like this.
  2. ŞɸƦѦ Member

Another note: I attempted this on my laptop as well to make sure it works and it wasn't just a fluke. After installing the VPN and connecting to Canada again, I downloaded the game through Steam. After the game downloaded and the patcher began running, partway through the patch I got the socket error. All I did was change the location on the VPN from Canada to Germany. It patched some and I got the socket error again. I changed it to the UK and it finished patching and works fine.

TLDR; This works. If you get the socket error just change to the VPN to a different location.
    Note: After you get the game working, you can remove the VPN from your PC.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  3. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Another VPN I would suggest starts with a P.

It is based out of Switzerland, reputable, open source, and does not require a credit card. It runs a free mode (not a trial).

However, I cannot personally vouch for their privacy and security measures.

I am not sharing the company name as it may run afoul of forum or Daybreak rules. Dreamweaver can remove my post if it is not appropriate.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  4. Neridine New Member

Out of curiosity do you want need to launch eq2 from steam once downloading it from there? Or can I launch it separately in the future?
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  5. ŞɸƦѦ Member

You can locate the EQ2 folder within Steam after you get everything working and move the EQ2 folder back to where it normally goes. You can then launch it through the launcher like you normally would without Steam. That's up to you though.

To do so, open Steam and go to Library. From there right click "EverQuest II" and select "properties." Click on the "Local Files" tab and then click "Browse Local Files." From there you just cut or copy the EQ2 folder and paste it wherever you normally like it. Inside the EQ2 folder you will see the LaunchPad. Left click and drag it to your desktop screen to create a shortcut.
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  6. Pluvian New Member

Confirmed as working, did the whole delete, download from steam, patch - didn't have to change vpn client once (set to Canada cause Canadians are nice).
    deleted EQ2 from mine and wifes machines, copy'n'paste - sorted
    WhysperWynde likes this.
  7. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

Wow a traveling patch update through various countries? Sounds like a great sightseeing tour while you're loading the game .. NOT. LOL

But glad it works. I very luckily just popped into the game when I thought I was going to upload a big patch my hubby told me he was doing that would fix the 99% hang load error. AM SO GLAD TO BE BACK!!!
    Breanna likes this.