Tips for charm

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Philss, May 26, 2017.

1. Philss Journeyman

So my enchanter just got to 11 and ive tried charm a wisp in nek but its very unreliable . Any tips on how to effectively keep a charmed pet?
  2. Yruc Augur

wisps are very very magic resistant not a good charm target. Use the tash line of spells before charm and then you will want to charm a mob that is a few levels lower than you to keep the charm longer. Also low level charms don't last long. Make friends with clerics to give you rez as charm soloing can be rewarding but you will die a lot along the way.
  3. Throndor Augur

ho-hum charisma....doubled fisted opal encrusted steins full of it /whistle
  4. AgentofChange Augur

Charisma helping is a myth. It's also difficult to charm well with the level 11 spell & 0 gear. Would suggest just charming lower level mobs until you get your level 23 charm, much better.
  5. Amoeba Augur

Low level charm is indeed a bit iffy.

The normal enchanter pet is actually pretty baller during this time, so don't scoff at him. Later levels, you'll indeed want to charm. But for now, I'd say stick to good ol' Invisypoo (or whatever you name him).

Note, the enchanter pet benefits from the same development stuff the mage pets went years and years ago that make them so OP for this time period, but to a lesser extent than the mage pets.
  6. Fluid Augur

I don't do a huge amount of charming, just enough to know charming a low level mob and changing tactics is the way to go. For instance in a group send the pet in after the tank has full aggro. If solo, drop some bombs on the MOB and make sure the pet isn't taunting, then RUN LIKE THE WIND! Your DOTs like Shallow Breath<?> must out do the damage the pet does so the MOB doesn't turn around and squash it.

Ditto for fear kiting if you are in an area where you can get away with it. It's a little bit tougher to keep the pet alive when fear breaks, but if your pet is sufficiently charmed, it will fight to the death giving you time to implement Plan B.

The charming the toughest thing in a zone and killing everything else in it may have happened once or twice, but for the most part these are legendary because they are legendary. I even have stories myself about charming stuff that shouldn't have been susceptible and killing stuff I should never have been able to do, but these were rare and memorable rather then business as usual.
  7. Rhodz Augur

You want a charmed pet to be 2-3 levels less than the Enc for magic resists, just like all detrimental spells. I have charmed white and yellow cons but only as a last resort cause it is tough. All classes that charm have this to contend. As you get into higher levels you will be looking for a mob even lower as buffs will make up the difference but keeping it charmed is critical.
    Of course tash/malo is just understood.
    levels and MR rules all
    I usually start charming the minute after I get the spell memed because well it is just fun.
  8. Baldur Augur

Like others have said, magic resistance and level difference are the keys. You want to charm a mob that has low magic resistance and is lower level than you. At level 11 I would say you want at most a level 9 pet, but even that will probably break a lot.

Charming at the lower levels isn't great. It gets better as you level up. Just try different pets and you'll see what breaks more often than others. Since you can't tell the exact level of a mob unless it cons white to you or someone in your group and the level range on some mobs can vary immensely, if you get a pet that's breaking a lot it might be higher level than you think. Just ditch it and charm another one.
  9. EnchFWO Augur

And this is completely false. CHA up to 255 helps the roll against possible charm break checks that occur every 6 seconds. It was confirmed by devs years ago. If you find it a waste though, personal choice.
  10. Mad_Mikey Elder

Maybe it's time we have a healthy debate about this topic?

:rolleyes:
  11. mackal Augur

From a few people I know that have done very hardcore parsing (hundreds/thousands of man hours) on CHA's affects on charm, it only helps with the initial resist check. The checks for breaking did not appear to be affected the duration of the charm.
  12. AgentofChange Augur

This ain't years ago bud, it's 2017. All evidence shows charisma provides 0 benefit to charm, not even on the initial resist check as the above poster suggest. Keep holding those steins tho bruh
  13. mackal Augur

idk, do hundreds of hours of resist parsing, change your charisma and do another hundreds of hours of resist parsing and the rate changes ...
  14. Illusory Augur

You are partially correct in the mob has a chance to break charm every tick, but it now has to succeed on a Magic save. Charisma has nothing to do with casting, landing, or keeping charm active. It is now reliant on the Magic Resist of whatever you're trying to charm. That said, keeping your pet MR debuffed is a good idea. The most common rule of thumb is that pure melee NPCs have much lower MR than a caster or hybrid NPC. Therefore, if you're charming a caster you will likely experience more charm breaks versus that of a melee.

As for the Charisma stat in general, it primarily plays a role (as with the NPC's MR) in the Enchanter's mezz-lines. The higher you are to 200 CHA and lower the NPC's MR, the more likely that your mezz will not be resisted. If your CHA is over 200, you will notice no or next to no decrease in resistances versus 255 (cap.)
  15. EnchFWO Augur

So it changed between 2015 and 2017? Good to know. Thanks bud. Then again Chandrok did leave so maybe he was full of it. :rolleyes:
  16. Illusory Augur

Stop making stuff up, that's how rumors and misquoted information spread.

The changed happened years ago, not between 2015-2017, but probably back in 2005 when charm saw a significant change to it's mechanics.
  17. Trizek Augur

Charisma does NOT help in Charming. As mentioned this was changed years ago.

What does help is 1. Your level difference. The higher you are, the better it'll stick.

2. Mob resists. You'll want Tash up on it 100% of the time. And if you got a Mage or Shaman make sure they keep Malo up on it.
  18. EnchFWO Augur

I'm just curious how you figure I magically made this up when a dev confirmed up to 255 base charisma affected mez and charm. It was a big debate in recent years because they kept adding augs with heroic CHA to the game and so everyone wondered if that actually had an impact (which was then confirmed HEROIC does not whereas the 255 base did). No one on Live was particularly concerned since we all were well beyond that cap so it didn't matter.

Keep at your alternative facts though. Use CHA or don't but I'm gonna take the official source over yours. Is it magically going to make charming easy mode in Classic? No. But to blatantly lie and say it has no impact is just completely misleading.
  19. AgentofChange Augur

Dude enchfwo you are literally the only person in this thread who believes your , take a hint.
  20. Illusory Augur

Can you provide a link to the thread where said dev confirmed?