RoS Kiter Friendliness

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Izzemelon, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Izzemelon New Member

Are there any areas in RoS where mobs don't summon or have nasty effects (dots, snares, stuns) and provides adequate room to move around? I ask this as someone that pulled with a bard box. I can't imagine how fun kiting must be.
  2. NeverPayForLag Augur

If you want to have fun try to kite in TBL beta....happy stun/mezzing.. gave that now up after some tries - not really fun.

EQ shifts more and more to group players or mega boxers with 3rd party software or the usual action highend players who can utilize countless buttons. The "Raid to Group Gap" in the new expansion widens again to the extreme. Sad to see. EQ since RoS is not EQ anymore like used from classic. Even classic was possible to play solo without breathless button mashing and a wrist restrain. EQ seems meanwhile the "Counterstrike" of the fantasy world... only with crappy graphics compared to that :p

But if you want to try then perhaps this:

There is the area in Overthere with the crabs. They are in the water. I never tried but perhaps you have not the problem of sociality.

The area with Iron Sentinel at the corner to FM (2x golem type mobs, 1x rhino, little mobs) could be also a place to kite. But I don't know a mob which is not summoning. I personally gave up solo/molo since RoS. And this is the same at moment in beta for TBL.

Skyfire, west corner, above the golem caves between the dragon mouths is an area which is only used by around 4 mobs.

Skyfire north area there is a kite place you can pull mobs over the lava river. But there is one drake from time to time blowing AEs.

Skyfire middle east area (around the VP key named and the vampires) is only sparsely filled with mobs.

All other areas are too much filled with mobs. HS/GOR/ST is useless for that. To avoid summoning I have no idea. If a good healer or healer merc is there you can dot/nuke and run while in the "summoning time windows". But that is only working if you have maxed your AA/Gear to a good extent. Druid can add his AA-DS/protection-AA/Healing-AA but then he needs a longer break for recasting them. Depending on the class you need all your tricks of the trade (AA) to manage to compensate the damage output. If you can do it - give us feedback ;)

If it is only kiting from time to time you can use group/raid content play of TBL, raise all your gear and AA to max (if on gold you get decent armor beyond RoS raid gear even in group content with high end tradeskilling (TS-Armor), if on f2p/silver then the gear in TBL is not really a bit upgrade, only about 400-500HP and a bit DPS makes not a real difference in the new play area -> T1 non prestige).

Perhaps somebody has other ideas...
  3. S33k3r Augur

The only places I tried kiting in RoS (on my Druid) were :-

OT - on the west wall just south of the zi to SF I found there was enough room to kite once I cleared a couple of chickens.

SF - on the north wall, there is a golem that wanders so start with him and then kill sarnaks (start by goro zi). If you seen drake aura then run around it and you snare/kill the drake.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Kiting is a mechanic invented by players. Should development resources be dedicated to creating spaces that are kite-friendly?

I suspect the Dev's answer would be something along the lines of "it would be nice to have the resources to do, but it's not a high priority."
  5. Whulfgar Augur

And this is how it should be.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL. "spaces". Literally, just some open spaces. Yep, real hard to "develop".
    GoneFission, Venau and Barton like this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Not saying it's difficult or expensive. But it is what it is. Even an open space dedicated to kiting has to be built, tested, and appropriate challenges put in place (occasional roamer, etc).
  8. Endaar Augur

There's nothing to build or test, really. It's just a matter of putting some non-summoning mobs in an outdoor zone. Kiters are pretty good at breaking spawns, making enough space, etc, but we have no way to deal with summoning.
    Yinla, Slippry, Pirlo and 1 other person like this.
  9. NeverPayForLag Augur

Agreed...

If somebody needs ... resources for that... then for them going to the toilette is as complicated as setting a flag...yep... there are clerks who have that problem in some areas.... but for them the state has invented social warfare...:p

Any non-summoning mobs for this thread?
    I have non in mind at moment - tried the crabs?
  10. Nifty Slacker Augur

I believe daybreak has ruined kiting to encourage players to play multiple accounts. Or maybe it's just a huge coincidence that kiting is almost impossible now.......
    Andarriel likes this.
  11. flash000 Augur

eq store non summoning potion good for 1 hour 20$

non summoning potion good for 2 hours 40$

non summoning potion good for 4 hours 60$

yes this is a joke.

but you never know...with the devs...
  12. Venau Augur

No summoning mobs except named in SF IIRC. I pretty much kited my way from 106-110 in FM (EoK) and SF. I love SF. You get free pulls with the drakes that ambush you. Just keep everything snared and have a heal up. The chaos can be super fun.
    Conq, Tatanka and Elyssanda like this.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I believe it has more to do with the lag that gets created by swarm kiting.

As a wizzy who grew up in 2001 kitting from level 39 I miss the large open spaces with room to kite, I miss creative pulling to split mobs. But I think I'm happier playing without kiting if it means we don't get the aweful zone lag we have had in the past from players kitting on mass.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Except you've got it wrong. The players doing mass swarming weren't kiting. They played classes which could tank perfectly for a short time, and had abilities with AoE effects which could kill the swarm before the perfect tanking ended. Also, self-healing procs played a role.

So, condemn the swarmers all you want, but for the most part, that had nothing to do with kiting.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!
  16. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

I know this thread was specifically about kiting but I figured I'd chime in as it relates to root/rot. I know its not the same thing and not quite what was being asked about but you could apply the knowledge accordingly. I've probably made several thousand AAs using the locations below.

Named notwithstanding I can't think of anything that summons outside of HS, VP and ST. That doesn't mean that you can root/snare it all but that's a different problem.

In OT you can root/rot or kite the entire zone if you want to. You can't snare/root the golems or the rhinos but other than that have at it. I'd recommend the sarnaks in OT either along the west or south walls of the zone. There's occasionally named in these camps but they're pretty easy to avoid since they're buried way in the camps. I'd avoid the cats since they have a snare DD and the cactus have a drain dot but if you're looking for meat pie materials you might have to kill some.

Also the sarnaks outside of Gorowyn in SF have already been mentioned. There's some funky pathing here that could be used to kite I'm sure. There is one wandering golem that paths back and forth by the port in from the guild hall lamp but other than that you might get one drake an hour that wanders in that you'll have to deal with.

Sarnaks are a great source of conflagrant wood/silk/platinum as well if you're looking to make some money or create gear for alts.
    Tatanka likes this.