Looking for build advice, returning player

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Parker, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Parker Elder

Old returning player within next two months or so. Looking for advice for what’s best cpu gpu combo I should look at for max FPS @1080 boxing 6 accounts. Budget up to 2grand. Think I had fx8350 and did reasonably well about two years ago, even streamed some but I’m really looking for even more of a smooth experience this time around, I really do like the artwork of this game and would like to be able to not turn down everything.

So does anyone 6 box AND not have any issues with lag? If so what’s your configuration?
  2. Mazame Augur

Having lag issues for months I was getting very sick of all of the issues caused by the lag. I was turning everything off and doing what anyone would recommend to fix it and nothing was working. So I bought a new computer spending around the same as your budget of 2k.

I used https://www.cybertronpc.com/ They let you custom your and were very competitive for the price.

I went from an Intel 3 with 16 gig of ram to:

PROCESSOR:AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8C 4.7GHz
    THERMAL COMPOUND (CLX FLUXX):Thermal Compound - CLX FLUXX
    MOTHERBOARD:MSI X570 MPG GAMING EDGE WIFI
    MEMORY:4xXPG D60G SpectrixTotal 32 GB Dual Channel Memory
    GRAPHICS CARD:AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 8GB
    OPERATING SYSTEM STORAGE:Seagate 1TB 2.5in SATA3 BarraCuda SSD
    CPU LIQUID COOLING:CLX Quench 240 Closed Liquid Cooler
    CHASSIS SELECTION:phantek Eclipse P300 Mid Tower ATX Black
    CHASSIS FANS:Standard 120mm Case Fans
    POWER SUPPLY:650 Watt Gamdias ASTRAPE M1 (RGB Lights)

OPERATING SYSTEM:Microsoft Windows 10 Home

The cost was $1800.

I went over kill to make sure I would not have any Issues. When I got the new computer I loaded everything up and head to the lag pile in POK. I was not even able to look at it my screen would freeze looking between the ground and the sky. After getting pissed and walking away for a day I came back and found the following post by Metanis: Posted back in 2018.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/horrible-lag-running-windows-10.253002/

I changed my setting to match his and went back to the lag pile and I had no lag what so ever. I started loading up different account and got all 5 account log in at the lag pile with no issues. I then started turning stuff back on and have most everything on now with no issues.

What I found was the main issue was the
    VertexShaders=TRUE
    20PixelShaders=TRUE
    14PixelShaders=TRUE
    1xPixelShaders=TRUE

One might think having issue to turn these off or to "False" but when ever EQ is spawning a NPC it run the script starting form the top. So with them all on it hit the 1st one and can move on to the next npc. but when you have them off it keep moving down the list. So when you have them off it does more check and based on the number of models it trying to load it can cause major issues.

Having done this I went back to my old computer and made the changes as well and it fixed all my issues as well. I bring this up because my Old computer and New computer I can box on with no issues now. Before you look into buying a new computer look into adjusting your setting.

Most of the updated parts for a computer will not effect older games like EQ. having 1 core or 16 core doesn't matter because EQ only will use 1 core. Having a 8 core system would let you play 8 toons better but that because each instances of EQ will be on a different core. The 16 gig a memory vs 32 gig of memory doesn't effect game play in EQ. So when your looking at new video card, Ram , Hard drives etc Going over board will not make much change to how EQ plays. The main thing you want is to have a good internet connection. Spend a bit more on the Networking card. Also make sure you have enough cores to be = to the number of toons you want to play. 6 toon for example I would go with an 8 core processor.

I hope this helps.
    Zolav and Parker like this.
  3. Parker Elder

Wow, not what I was expecting but thanks....I think I will look into that on my current system. Thank you for the detailed response!
  4. Valdest Journeyman

I just got a renewed Core I7-4770 with 32 GB of memory and a 500 GB SSD. Its old, it was cheap at $400.00. I run 4 accounts, no issues and no video card.
  5. Snack Augur

1060 GTX
    i7-9700k
    64GB RAM

I have run 12 on this with tuned down graphics. I created a stack of f2p accounts to see how much I needed to tax the system and got bored before I taxed the system. Based on usage, I'd guess that I could run at least 20 before I ran into issues.

I have slightly higher resolution turned on for my main toon, the rest of the boxes (1-5 additional depending on my mood) have graphics turned down. I can't remember the setting that 'fixed' everything for me, but it's in advanced options and I think it's background DPS and it's set to min CPU.
  6. svann Augur

Be sure to get an SSD.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You will get the best value by building the machine yourself. If that's not something you want to do, I recommend any new, modern CPU and video card and go with a computer builder you trust.

I personally run the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, X570 board, 2080 Super, 32GB RAM, and have no lag. FPS drops a bit with 40+ people on screen, but I have all graphics turned on for all six boxes.
  8. Zolav Augur

@Maz.. so you turned those 4 to "true" and it helped a ton? your right you would think turning them off would help but like all things eq its backwards haha,.
  9. Zolav Augur

@Mazame .. and for some reason I cannot find these two in my eqclinet file, not sure why they are not there, UNLESS I am blind as a bat
    14PixelShaders=TRUE
    1xPixelShaders=TRUE
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

11. Heajol Augur

I'll jump in on this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm a six boxer and looking at getting into raiding.

Any comments on the following re performance in EQ and raiding / six boxing?

Looking to hopefully confirm this build tomorrow.

Intel i7-9700K CPU
    MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus – ATX
    G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200 DDR4
    GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Ventus XS 6G OC
    THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 750W SEMI- MODULAR ATX 80+ GOLD ACTIVE PFC (I am probably dropping this down to 600 or 650)
    On Board Sound Card
    Seagate Firecuda 520 M.2 2280 500GB
    1TB 3.5in Seagate Barracuda HDD 3.5”
    CM MASTER CASE MC600P ATX MID TOWER TG SIDE PANEL
    NZXT Kraken X63 280mm RGB All-in-one Liquid CPU Cooler

MS WIN 10 PRO 64BIT ENGLISH
  12. Tucoh Augur

When I recently upgraded my PC my video card (GTX 1080ti, upgraded from GTX 980) arrived a couple weeks before my new CPU (whatever the newest i7 was). I didn't see much of an increase in FPS with the new GPU, but got huge gains when my CPU came in. I've got my boxes set pretty efficiently in terms of settings.

One important aspect to boxing is that if you're using /follow, having high FPS on your boxes is critical to keep them locked on your main character. I had them set to 80FPS even when my monitor couldn't render more than 60FPS.

If I were building a new PC for EQ I'd get whatever the newest standard i7 is and a GTX 1660 with 16GB of ram and whatever SSD is popular. Everything else doesn't matter that much.

If I was building a new PC for other games I'd wait for the GTX 3080, it is looking nice. Will probably rebuild when I play cyberpunk, not sure. https://www.techradar.com/news/rtx-3080
  13. Heajol Augur

Thanks I'll look at the pricing for the newest i7-10700K. I might go with that instead.

Also, I'll probably downgrade the power supply somewhat as I won't be taxing the system that hard.

I like to do some content creation work on the side and six box EQ. Also looking for an idea of what raiding requirements are for decent PCs. I know this is an older game, but I also have no idea of what modern raids look like.
  14. OldTimer Journeyman

Screen Lag, can sometimes be an real issue.
  15. Arkeal_Rathe_Bots Lorekeeper

This just isnt true anymore. Video cards alone make this almost impossible. YOu are better off getting a prebuilt system. you will get more for your dollar.

You used to get more for your money this way but gpu costs kinda nixed that thanks to coin farmers
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You're wrong.

DIY: $1301.71
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pp3xwh

NZXT "Stream PC": $1499
    https://www.letsbld.com/streaming-pc

Saving $200 not enough value? :confused:

FWIW you could make the DIY even cheaper by going with lower-spec components. I went with middle-tier all the way around.
    Zamiam likes this.
  17. Zamiam Augur

Ya I'd have to agree with Bandwidth , DiY is gonna be cheaper still .. Ive always did my builds and not only do you know whats going into your machine but the components are cheaper and better than what is pre-build ..
    Barton likes this.