For Everquest...More than just a game for some.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Plixar, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Plixar New Member

I bought Everquest early. I saw a magazine on a rack in Wal-Mart. I was an old D&D Dungeon Master/player and I was consumed and excited by the thought that I would be able to play "D&D" In a "visual world".
    The week before Everquest began I bought 2 Voodoo cards from Best Buy to run SLI on my Packard Bell computer bought from Staples with saved money.
    Because I bought Everquest early, I walked the forrest of Nektulos before others, with a few friends, a day earlier than opening day. We actually never stopped leveling until we hit Northern Ro. There we encountered the Mad Men and Mummies that we the "Oh my God" of that time. Me, a necromancer named Plixar, a mage friend and a Shadow knight friend. (All real world friends i talked to and got them to buy computers and cards.)
    Latter I created a guild with my friends called the "Harbingers of Hate"! We grew incredibly fast. The first guild to take Freeport on Rallos Zek PVP server! We created a front line and slowly fought into Freeport and overtook the city. The biggest guild on the server for a long time. Other guilds rallied with us for protection against PVP guilds that were wanting to make roleplaying agony rather than realistic, . Unfortunately, we fell due to our own inner rivalry. Treaties were made and division within separated our guild. Chaos erupted, started by a, very charismatic, Troll Shadow Knight. I surrendered leadership to a more powerful Necromancer named Sepulker who got the unity back into the guild. He soon resigned as Guild Leader because of the time it took and he did not have time to actually play due to the size if the guild. The guild council gave ownership to the Troll Shadow Knight who led the Harbingers into one of the most hated PVP guilds on Ralls Zek.
    I spent many hours recovering corpses from Befallen and fighting the old Nagafen. I have no max level characters because i left and now as i have returned the levels are much higher. I have truly spent my time slowly learning and enjoying the world that is everquest.

So, what I am saying, is that I have had nothing but loyalty for Everquest. I still roam those old zones because I miss the days of old. I miss my friend who helped me take Befallen many times, who died long ago. It brings me memories of him and how he was in real life, how much he loved the game. Guildless and alone remembering those I played with and began my Everquest journey. Everquest II never had the "community" Everquest had. (although I have high level characters there as well.) I stopped EQII and returned to EQ after many years. I wish to enjoy EQ again.
    Phiyre, Pirlo, IblisTheMage and 8 others like this.
  2. Poyzen Frawg Augur

I really like this post.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Nice post.

You might want to take a look at Crowfall. It's more similar to old EQ PvP / server politics than modern EQ is.
  4. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Great post, if you need any guidance navigating the murky depths of Necrodom feel free to reach out to me via
    ;Tell Cazic.Scornfire

Welcome back to Norrath :)
  5. Risiko Augur

Welcome back to EverQuest!

A lot has changed since you last played the game. If I create on FV server, let me know and I will help you out anyway I can.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Nickalispicalis Journeyman

Were you the one who trained the Specters to the docks in the Oasis? You know many of us were defenseless. Meditating in our spell books, we were not even able to see it coming.
    Pirlo likes this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Really? Never learned to tick-med in busy areas? ;)
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  8. Ultrazen Augur

Nice post. EQ was such a brutal game at release, but it made the game exciting, and it forged real friendships. There were very real server villains and heroes. It's funny, one of the big buzzwords the last few years has been 'emergent gameplay'...lol. EQ was the king of emergent gameplay, in fact, it was it's biggest draw. The dramas, the stories, the friendships, the enemies, the difficulty. Nothing before or since has affected me the way EQ did at release.

I've lost count of the number of times I've re-downloaded the game, only to run through Crushbone and remember what an event it was when Crush was first killed on the server, or what a nightmare that place was when the game was truly new, and people had little understanding of the mechanics involved.

Nostalgia is a powerful force, especially when it's tied to real life friends, and the seriousness that can go with it. Sorry for the loss of your friend.
    Plixar likes this.