Coirnav on lifesupport

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Payyne, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Payyne New Member

Evening,

As a day 1 member of our community I'm simply writing to any Dev that can listen. DBG decided to bring on two anniversary servers, in the middle of the Planes of Power lull on Coirnav. We basically have 4 more months of Plane of Time. The introduction of two new servers is a real slap in the face to those that just want to stick around through the content here and frankly a knife in the gut of the server.

This server has been murdered of population as a result of the decision. Being a server that is less than a year old, this was a mind blowing decision from my perspective. Coirnav is losing players at this point almost daily and has become a "raid log" server, because DBG basically created Mangler, with worse rules, but more exp than Coirnav. We're losing players because the exp sucks here and what's the point when you can go to Mangler and play with less time invested for the same experience. Personally, I am max AA (for my class), so it does not matter to me, however, the health of the server is borderline dead.

My ask is to increase EXP to match mangler, so at least our player base has a platform to compete on. This is not a request for me, but this server is literally going to die due to the wonderful decisions of the release. I know we are equal when GOD hits, but we have several months before we can get there and this server will be completely dead.

Hope I can at least get a blue view, to those that remain on Coirnav - Stay strong bros.

-PAYYNE
    Tiane likes this.
  2. RandomStrategy Augur

Something something Coirnav released during Luclin on Agnarr...

At least there isn't anyone at any camp you want!
    andross77 likes this.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The harsh truth is that they could give Coirnav 400% bonus xp and it'd still just be Phinny Clone 2, when Phinny Clone 3 is new and shiny. Don't worry, next year Mangler will likely face the same issues when Phinny Clone 4 comes out.

Taking you guys off the preferred server list was way more of a deathknell than anything else.
    andross77 likes this.
  4. Captain Video Augur

EQ2's Fallen Gate TLE is being merged into a live server less than two years after its launch. Would you prefer that approach?
  5. Payyne New Member

Yes, I get it. There are solutions before this goes to far, doubt it's worth the post, but figured why note.

-Payyne
  6. Ceffener Augur

New servers for the 20th anniversary is the one year I wouldn’t call it mind blowing. Would have been way more of a shock to not do a new server.
    andross77 and Tymeless like this.
  7. Trox2010 Augur

Actually I see Mangler surviving a new TLP release better than Selo, since most people on Mangler have been looking for this type of server for awhile now (a decent Xpac release time line that didn't have crappy XP rates). By next year the majority that had rolled on Selos is going to realize that 1 month lockouts are wayyy to short and so will instantly jump to the next TLPs no matter what the rules are.
    Dilf likes this.
  8. Gremin Augur

Welcome to a vicious cycle that has been occurring since Phinny came out and killed RF and LJ.
    Kevron and andross77 like this.
  9. Praetorian1 New Member

It's a deliberate cycle. They are professional Krono flippers and you all are the guinea pigs.
    andross77 likes this.
  10. Machentoo Augur

They don't care. Corinav isn't the first server to face this sort of thing. They have consistently screwed their older servers in hopes of more profit from new servers. I am sympathetic, as I've been through it several times, but also we warned you this exact thing would happen.

They will not adjust Coirnav's xp.
    andross77 and Sumonerr_Tunare like this.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

History is literally on display to back up this rather depressing statement.

It is clear Daybreak does not care about long term server health. Pick a server for the rules you think you'll enjoy for how long you will want to play. Unfortunately, Coirnav was a poor, uninspired ruleset to start with. There is no hope unless DBG did something unprecedented such as merging it or tweaking the ruleset.
    andross77 likes this.
  12. Communist Puppy Augur

Phinny didnt kill RF/LJ, those servers killed themselves. The rulesets for those servers were awful, ontop of the voting for expansions, and no AoC's there was 0 chance of it working. The sad part is a lot of people would have still kept playing on those servers if it wasnt for the fact that people voted to extend kunark another 3 months.
  13. Elskidor Augur

Anyone that was paying attention knew this was going to happen to Coirnav. It was a pretty lackluster TLP from the start. They could start merging these suckers and shuttle it straight to Phinny. It would go against what it was originally advertised as but there's not much point in keeping a dead server. We are cluttered with mostly dead TLP servers with a few good ones to choose from.
  14. Nolrog Augur

No. I think that is a terrible solution. They should merge it into which ever current TLP is the closest match (and yes, I realize that could be a pretty significant change in rule sets, but it's better than not doing anything or merging into a live).
  15. Snomie Elder

Coirnav players were warned this would happen. Remember the long threads where Kahna and co. preached about how the server would be fine while everyone told them otherwise? Big surprise, those defenders have disappeared when Coirnav played out just like everyone predicted.

All servers go through the same TLP cycle and Coirnav was always going to become a low pop server when you started out with an even smaller base population than previous TLPs.
  16. Domniatric Augur

I never really understood Corinav (aside from a money grab from DBG). It would have obviously made more sense to let Agnarr play out naturally then release the anniversary TLPs.

Also, changing experience on Corinav would do next to nothing in terms of server population.
  17. Elskidor Augur

Actually, let Selo clean up the mess of TLP servers left behind over the years. As Selo catches up to the lowest populated TLPs they can merge with Selo. Wipe the slate clean.
    Narvakhan, Pharone and Tymeless like this.
  18. Tymeless Augur

oh and agnarr dropped during PoP on Phinny thus killing a big chunk of its population as evidenced by the number of guilds that started folding soon after.
  19. snailish Augur

I'm not disagreeing, but I wonder...

With the advantage of hindsight...

If one of Ragefire/Lockjaw had been given one simple adjusted rule: We're locking this server at TSS. Our reason is it will be the progression "holding server" --what this means is any server we deem spent before TSS will be merged into it, but... we will allow you to jump back off onto any progression server that is robust population past TSS. Use this to your advantage as you will.

So at this point Phinny looks like it would qualify for passing the "holding server", Agnarr people that have changed their minds could bail without going full boat live, Coirnav people could bail early (though it looks like it would be merged into the holding server sooner than later) and so on.

TSS because it is a full replayable timeline with gear/quests/content to do at all levels (*though I think they still need to move defiant ahead an expac to not obsolete the content?).

Plus you are late enough in era that mass boxing isn't going to be a full rage situation, it's basically a late-progression tutorial server. The content boundaries would keep people interested vs. the spread to thin on the empty live game (at sub 90 levels), plus it isn't a true prison server.
    Tymeless likes this.
  20. Pharone Elder

You have to understand the history of EverQuest TLPs to understand why the population has flowed the way it has over the past decade.

1. Ragefire was a massive success on launch and drew a TON of people to play on it
    2. Lockjaw was spun up to handle the overflow of population on Ragefire, and it helped even out the population on Ragefire
    3. The box armies (not 6 boxers, but rather 12-40 boxers) created an insanely toxic environment on Ragefire which caused a massive number of people to quit playing
    4. SoE created the Phinigel server with truebox rules to keep the box armies out, and they regained a lot of those players that quit Ragefire/Lockjaw
    5. Phinigel was a massive success honestly, and probably one of the most healthy TLP servers in the past decade
    6. Agnarr was created to give the EverQuest community their first ever expansion locked server. this drew a large number of people to the Agnarr server that missed the Phinigel start
    7. Coirnav was created to offer a Phinigel 2.0 server (probably because Phinigel was such a huge success). A lot of the people that went to Coirnav were those that started on Agnarr because they missed the start of Phinigel, and they really didn't want to be locked in Lost Dungeons of Norrath for ever, so when Coirnav came along, they jumped on it.
    8. A year later, Mangler and Selos comes out. Here's the rub. Nobody liked the slow experience grind on Coirnav. Nobody. Understand, the ONLY reason they were playing on Coirnav was because Agnarr was going to be Lost Dungeons of Norrath locked and they missed the initial Phinigel wave. So, with the Mangler server having faster experience than Coirnav (by a lot) and not going to be locked at a particular expansion for ever, the Mangler server is the perfect alternative for the vast majority of people that was playing on the Coirnav server.
    It's the chain of events that has created the perfect storm for the Mangler server and the eventual death of the Coirnav server.
    FubarEQ, Krezzy and andross77 like this.