Boxing Is The Plague Of EQ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Efr3, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Zalphos Elder

Fairness is an important factor in the success of a game, and community is particularly important to MMOs. Boxing is detrimental in both those regards. And rerolling doesn't make boxing go away.
    ExecutionDbl9 likes this.
  2. code-zero Augur

There's absolutely nothing fair about slackers and incompetent players leeching XP and loot in groups. The least fair thing imaginable is the early game when zones are full of dithering goobers interfering with gameplay
    Metanis, CdeezNotes and TLPbeebee like this.
  3. Soriano Augur

EQ has not lost subscriptions because of boxing.

Boxing was here in 1999 and is still here today...

People quit for many reasons....

other players boxing is just not one of the reasons.
  4. Moardots Elder

Lol @ all the box lovers pretending there wouldn't still be a super popular TLP launch every year if boxes disappeared entirely

The only EQ that would be in trouble if they nixxed boxing entirely is live and nobody cares about that anyways
  5. CdeezNotes Augur

EQ was built literally on the premise of being unfairly advantageous to those who invested more time. Stop being obtuse with these ridiculous conclusions.

If the game was fair, everyone would be limited to x amount of time to play a week, no solo classes would exist (or all would be able to), everyone would do equal dps, tank equally, heal equally. Last I checked literally none of those are true.

It really sounds like you need a safe space. Go make your own personal server and call it the Rubber room so you can avoid all these heinous things.
    Metanis and code-zero like this.
  6. Moardots Elder

To be fair, live would also be fine without boxes it would just require some server merging. Not the end of the world. It's a 25 year old game. A couple less servers wouldn't be such a disaster.
  7. CdeezNotes Augur

The average player on live has at least 2 accounts.

There are about 40-45 raiding guilds and raiders are less than half the population of live. 40 guilds * 100 members (raiders + FF in each guild) is 4000 alt accounts. 4000 * $50.00 per expansion on average is 200k. Yes, I'm sure EQ will be thriving without more than a quarter million dollars lost each year just on expansions. Add in the 100 per year sub? Oh boy, we're closing in a million dollars of revenue wiped out of their ledger.

And I won't mention all the subs lost when you piss people off by Banning boxing.

Is it even possible for you to come across as any more ignorant? Seems unlikely.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. ExecutionDbl9 Shadow Knight / Necromancer / Druid

Says the guy who literally exists in his fortress of boxes so he can avoid all of the heinous other gamers that hurt his little fee fee's by not playing a video game the way he wants them to.
  9. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Yeah, but that’s the beauty of MMOs is that you encounter different players creating different social situations. Those can be good, bad or indifferent. Every story needs a villain, and you’ve set up boxers as the villain. Now you can feel morally superior by playing the game the “right way”.
  10. CdeezNotes Augur

Fortress of boxes? I have a SINGLE box. Are you illiterate? I've said it multiple times.

Your opinions are dismissed for lack of reading comprehension.

The irony is just dripping in this response. You're so triggered by people who don't play with you and choose their box over you. Mr. Glass house over here.
  11. Moardots Elder

Imagine defending boxing cause its profitable for the company

Yikes

You want a battlepass next? How about a $250 DLC? I hear that's the hip thing lately
  12. CdeezNotes Augur

Wasn't aware DPG was a non profit organization. The game quite literally needs revenue to stay running. You expect the devs to be paid by what? The power of friendship? If thats more your thing, p99 is that way ----->.

I won't worry if the door hits you on the way out.
  13. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

They already sell $250 expansions.

Yes, they should implement a battle pass since TLPs are seasonal content releases.
  14. ExecutionDbl9 Shadow Knight / Necromancer / Druid

Yes, because the posters crying about "oBjEcTiVeLy bAd pLaYeRs" definitely aren't setting up villains of their own stories.

Of course, you boxers are the main characters. The poor boxers who are forced into boxing by all of the "oBjEcTiVeLy bAd pLaYeRs" that they need to hide away from.
  15. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

Just run a guild and pickup all the bad players. Create the community that you want to see.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Zalphos Elder

A loss of boxes would result in more human subscriptions. The company would continue making money.
  17. ExecutionDbl9 Shadow Knight / Necromancer / Druid

But if I wanted to start a guild of all the bad players, I'd be taking in the boxers, and that's the opposite of what I want to see.
  18. Moardots Elder

NO PEOPLE ONLY LIKE BOXING U SILLY GOOSE
    Zalphos likes this.
  19. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

You could run a guild that doesn’t allow boxes. Take control of your EQ future.
  20. Zalphos Elder

It's generally worth addressing any significant unfairness in a game. I don't think your two examples are as problematic as boxing, and I think there are better ways to address them if necessary.