Numlock won't pass through from Windows 10

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Midasa, May 5, 2024.

1. Midasa Elder

I have used Numlock key for autorun forever, but I just moved, set up my computer, connected to internet, etc. Start up EQ, and oddly my numlock key will not come through from Windows. I set it to something else in the interim, but really want it back to numlock.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Does the num lock key work correctly in windows to start with? Like does it turn the num pad on and off?
  3. blood & gufts Augur

is the key set up, under options, keys.?
  4. Midasa Elder

Thanks for replying.
    Yes, the numlock key does work when in notepad, for example.
    And yes, i have always had my options -> keys map for autorun set to numlock.
    I'm going to try a different keyboard. Possibly when moving I hit something on this keyboard that stickied some function. It's a fairly basic Dell keyboard, but it is old. It does have a bunch of buttons along the top and I think while moving, I did press something, just no idea what it may have been.

Will reply soon with alternate keyboard results.
  5. Midasa Elder

Second keyboard exhibits same behavior, numlock not being seen in EQ, Windows is grabbing it and interpreting it.
    That being said, I cannot even map the numlock key at all, since Windows won't pass it through to EQ.
    In the meantime, I mapped Autorun to number key 0, which works fine, just have to learn new muscle process, after 23 years of numlock. :(
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ok this is super old but it references the numlock key and some changes that were made years ago.

Quote: You can go into your eqclient.ini file. Find the line that says IgnoreNumPadState=FALSE, and change that False to TRUE. You can then go back and map your auto-run key back to numlock.

Here is the post: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/numpad-changes.212240/

prob totally off the wall but you never know
  7. Midasa Elder

Yeah, thanks. That was the first thing I found and tried, but didn't work. I will try that again tomorrow in case i missed something.
  8. Midasa Elder

That didn't work, going to try a registry change and see if that fixes it.
  9. Midasa Elder

I was able to use Windows System restore function (from Control Panel) and restored to a point 2 weeks ago, and now my numlock is working again for auto run!
    No idea what was restored to fix it. Thanks for helping out.
  10. Midasa Elder

Well the saga continues. My numlock was working for 2 days, then tonight it stopped working again. I restored windows back to the time i had done the other day , and voila, it works again! I suspect it was Chrome doing something, since the only program that was listed as being affected was Chrome. So far so good... again. I removed Chrome, i use Firefox anyway, so hopefully it does not return.
  11. Midasa Elder

Well something reverted the fix today, and numlock is not working again. I get an icon pop up displayed on my computer showing a lock icon, open and closed depending on the state of the numlock key.
    It's like something is grabbing the numlock event. This is so annoying.

Anyone have any more ideas? Searched the internet and didn't find anything obvious. There is some regedit thing to set a startup option for numlock key at startup, but that doesn't sound like my issue. :(
  12. Midasa Elder

Finally found the culprit!
    I have an HP Omen desktop, and there is a service that starts up called HP System Event Utility. As soon as i stopped that, i got my numlock back!
    Nennius and Ileasa like this.