Returning Player - Graphics Help?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Vetiria, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Vetiria New Member

Been interested in trying to return to EQ and play a bit casually, catch up on the 20+ expansions I've missed. I'm currently in PoK/PoT/Guild Hall and the framerate is making the game unplayable. I've read up on the DX11 issues, and the stuttering seems to be what I'm experiencing, but I don't see many posts or updates about it the last couple weeks.

I've turned on and off new player models, on and off mip mapping, adjusted all the FPS and clip plane settings in Advanced Options. Nothing seems to stop the stuttering. Just turning in a circle with my keyboard causes my FPS to go from 5 to 70; turning with the mouse is not even thinkable. My CPU utilization is 25-30%; GPU peaks around 25%.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    AMD Radeon RX 6600 with most up-to-date drivers
    Windows 11
    DirectX 12

I feel like I'm missing something and wanted to ask for some tips before I give up. Thanks for any help.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

3. Metanis Bad Company

To the OP, there are a number of things that you could do, but since there is a patch tomorrow morning perhaps wait until you install the patch to do more troubleshooting?
    Fanra likes this.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

• Open the LaunchPad and verify the files
    Ingame:
    • Alt-J and turn the journal off.
    Options > Display:
    • Put the Far Clip Plane to 70 or lower
    • Disable New UI Engine (Does require a client relaunch to take effect)
    Options > Display > Advanced:
    • Turn off Advanced Lighting, Shadows, Radial Flora, Bloom Lighting
    • Put Shadow Clip plane to zero
    • Reduce the frame rate to 40 or even a bit lower
    • Reduce the background frames to 30. A higher value can increase lag but does improve /autofollow.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I experienced this on another computer that had an older eqclient.ini. I deleted the eqclient.ini and used the advanced options in the patcher to fetch a new one. This resolved my stuttering issue.

Is this a brand-new EverQuest install or have you patched an older install?
  6. Vetiria New Member

Appreciate the responses. I had gone through the graphics wiki. I tried the suggestions listed by Iven as well. Neither seemed to make that much of a difference in PoK/Tranq. This is a brand new EQ install; I still deleted the eqclient.ini file and repatched just to make sure and no difference.

Wandering through PoTranq trying to figure out if specific rendering like particles were causing the issues--it always seems to stutter when looking in specific directions. While doing so, I stumbled upon Plane of Health for the first time. I zoned in there and it's night and day how smooth that zone is compared to PoTranq. Consistently high FPS like I'd expect of the other zones. I haven't had time to wander around other places to test. Are there known issues specifically with PoK/Tranq, or PoP, etc...?
  7. Iven the Lunatic

No. PoH has less polygons than PoT I think. It could be a texture buffer problem that is related to DX11. It has nothing to do with your computer and is a known bug. Some computers are more affected by it than others. APUs and GPUs (onboard graphics) seem to be less affected by it.