Daybreak Launches Content Creator Program

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jeskola, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Marton Augur

Daybreak is looking for cheap/free adv like Riou said.
    Cicelee, Nennius and Iven like this.
  2. DeadRagarr Augur

Ohhh boy I can't wait to watch EQ streams and see the depends ads between streams. Its gonna be LIT.
    jeskola likes this.
  3. Iven the Lunatic

California is not the savest place regarding earthquakes and tsunamis, maybe because of that, or are there other reasons ?
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Not a bad idea but I am very suspicious about it, as much overpriced crap made it into the marketplace in the past, because of weak quality control. If it helps to make the game better and giving the players more influence that could be great. It does not have to, and it all depends on Daybreak's leadership.

I would be interested in being quality control and advisor.
  5. Piznut Angry Gnome

Most businesses and people I've spoken to say it's because california is insanely expensive and the taxes are too high there, so they come here since it's a pretty neutral state and much lower cost of living, etc.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

I'd worry more about brush fires. Anyway, pass the word. California is already pretty crowded and if people want to leave that isn't entirely a bad thing.
  7. jeskola pheerie

The fact that this thread devolved into a discussion about geography and weather patterns combined with the cold response I've seen on Discord does not bode well for this initiative.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

Its just a sideqik.

Which Atlanta do you mean, Georgia ? That would be really far away. Fargo in North Dakota might be even cheaper. ;)
    jeskola likes this.
  9. Cicelee Augur

The problem is that there isn't just one kind of EQ player. There are lots of different kinds. Devs cannot make everyone happy. And they are paying customers. So who should the devs listen to?

Answer- no one. They should make the decisions in game, the direction of the game, etc. Make the game they want to make, not what the players tell them to. Because the players are all not on the same page.

We pay them for the right to play their game. Not our game. Their game. And when, as a player, we decide that we are not having fun anymore... then we leave. Sure we can offer suggestions, but it is funny to me that some players think the devs should bow to what that player says and ignore what other players say.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

Everquest streaming videos are incredibly difficult to watch EVEN when you know how the game works. Every UI is different and ugly and meaningless to the vast majority of people. The scenes themselves are not compelling many times due to fuzzy graphics or too many massive particle effects or poor camera angles.

Fading does a good job but he doesn't rely on too much actual in-game footage.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  11. Fading Illusion Augur

Thanks Metanis.

I think the content creator program is a good idea. Any type of "earned media" is good.

And there is room in this space for ALL types of creators. I'm VERY proud of the (very difficult to produce) show that I create. But not everyone enjoys that medium, nor can or should they create it. It's also VERY different from streaming, "play with me", reviews etc.

I think ALL of those can be good for EQ. I welcome as many content creators for EQ as we can get! I'm just not sure I would want to watch some of them. But someone will. And if it keeps interest in EQ, great!

On a couple of side notes, since I've been out of the loop for a few days (been ill and busy, and was hoping to get a new episode out by the 25th, but it will have to drop after PAX)....

1) I think other content creators are happy to get interaction and questions with developers or perhaps ways to incentivize their content.
    2) I know a lot of people seem to be upset about the $1500 price tag for Fippy Fest, but Fippy Fest is not meant to be a player meet up. That's what Pax East, and potentially other future meet ups are expected to be. As Jenn Chan said in my interview, Fippy Fest is primarily a digital event. "Digital Forward" is the wording used. I'm not sure people understood what that meant. In order to limit to a very small number of in person tickets, they chose that particular roll-out. I'm not sure I agree with how it was executed or publicized, but that's not for me to say.

I think the content creator program is a nice way to get a bit more intimate interaction where all parties have something to gain.

3) I know nothing about Sidekiq, but I'll be looking into it and seeing if it benefits the channel.

My goal with my content is first and foremost to keep EQ/EQ2 alive and kicking for as long as possible! By bringing a quality video magazine format to the attention of players and viewers, while also documenting the history of this wonderful game.

I'm such a die hard fan, and I find it difficult lately to wade through the negativity in these forums and of some of the recent player concerns. By no means do I agree with everything that is done, but I'm on this side of the transaction, and I love this game. I think the content, events, freebies, quests, initiatives and communication avenues have been wonderful given that we're playing a 25 year old game, that wasn't expected to last this long!

I've gotten to know many of the people involved in building this game and I can tell you, they love this game just as much as we do. They play. And they know A LOT about the game. WAY more than we can as players because they have access to a lot more data and information.

I try to consider that when I can't quite understand a decision or reason behind something.

Sorry for the rant, and a little off topic but I wanted to put my 2 cp in.

Fading
    Metanis, Sprooce, Cimbaeth and 2 others like this.
  12. jeskola pheerie

TL;Dr
    Jk fading we all love you homie.
  13. jeskola pheerie

14. Xellen Lorekeeper

Exactly how I feel and I bet most of us internet wizards that are still so hooked into this game that we have a desire to record ourselves playing it while talking to the other world wide web users do as well.

The forums drain me. I have to remind myself to log in and review just to make sure I'm not missing out on something as I play in such a small bubble it's easy to do. So much negativity, so many angry people. It is hard to read the posts, really brings me down.

Having said that - this is my spot of negativity - I'm very worried about this sideqik thing. It is challenging enough to get eyes on EQ content on YouTube let alone attempting to move to a new platform that I'm sure 99.99% of players have never heard of. Seems like a guaranteed failure. I hope there is a plan for this...
  15. Dre. Altoholic

Doubtful, they're just creating a common backend based on their convenience. If the DPG announcement is any indication of their intent, perhaps their implementation will be "influencer-friendly" and they don't expect creators to learn Ruby in order to contribute.
    Rijacki likes this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

https://www.sideqik.com/industries/gaming-esports

Sideqik is about marketing, networking, and acquiring new "outsourced" dev ressources. It seems that DBG has problems to get more devs and that they also want to get access to cheaper ones, that could be more dynamically used. The world and it's related industries are affected by big incoming changes.
  17. Beardsy Elder

Never even heard of Sidekiq until this thread, not trying to bash anything but dear lord you do NOT need to spend money to be using a third party to gather "Influence" for your game.

You want "Content creation" Have whoever is running this DM me and we'll discuss what we both want out of it. I could work on this full time if it pays enough.
  18. DeadRagarr Augur

Wut?:

They already make all decisions in the game. Its not like me or you posting suggestions reaches through the monitor and forces the poor coders to re-write the entire game. It just gets passed along to them <I assume> from sources that say "That's not a terrible idea, can we do this?"

Players can have disagreements without outright quitting. Is the fact DoN Progression not shared through persona's going to make me 100% quit? No. Of course not. But it would make my experience playing the game I am playing and paying for all the more enjoyable. I don't think the devs think that implementing changes based on player feedback ruins "their game", it is the opposite.

It enhances it.
    Risiko likes this.
  19. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

I disagree with this concept because they don’t play the game that they make. Its a social media platform more than it is a game, and it should be treated with that in mind.
    Risiko likes this.
  20. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

What player concerns do you feel are unfair?