A Quick Note from Jenn Chan, Head of Studio, Darkpaw Games

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Dec 1, 2020.

1. dreamweaver Community Manager

Hi All, as you may or may not have already heard, Daybreak Games has entered into an acquisition agreement with a publicly listed gaming company based in Stockholm, Sweden, Enad Global 7 (EG7).

While we are thrilled about this news, we are sure many of you have questions about what this means for the launch date of our titles or operations as a whole. Rest assured nothing will change there. Claws of Veeshan launches on December 8 and Reign of Shadows a week later on December 15. We are excited to bring you these new entries in Norrath’s stories.

As a studio, you may have already noticed we have been doing some hiring recently in support of reinvestment projects. While we aren’t quite ready to discuss the details of those yet, they are in support of the live operations of EverQuest and EverQuest II.

Specifically, being acquired by EG7 advances our ability to continue our development in EverQuest and EverQuest 2, and further spur on our ongoing dedication to EverQuest as a brand.

I am particularly excited because of what Darkpaw brings to EG7, with over 21 years of knowledge and innovation in the live service games space we offer a unique perspective for the many other companies in the EG7 family. I look forward to sharing that expertise on a much larger scale that is afforded to us by this acquisition.

From me, and all of the team at Darkpaw Games, we hope your holiday season is filled with joy and wish you a happy new year.

Jenn Chan
  2. Tanacious Lorekeeper

Uh..... So does this confirm that Darkpaw=SOE and they just changed names, like many have believed for quite some time? By my count... DarkPaw/DayBreak couldn't have 21 years of experience....you didn't exist before 2009.

So unless you have a time travelling DeLorean, Phone Booth, or Tardis.... guess we now all know the truth.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

As a group the team have some members who have been there a very long time & were employees of SoE, they didn't fire everyone & start with a fresh team when they were sold off & became Daybreak.

So yes they do have some people with 21 years of experience because they were there from the start and are still there.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Cazmac and Kinoc like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think you are being more than a little rude & I personally think JChan is doing an excellent job.

How has it been "particularly out of touch" exactly?

i.e. What specifically about her leadership has brought you to this conclusion & how does it differ from prior leaders?
  5. IcebergDX Lorekeeper

I would say a big part is that she had 3 months in the drivers seat, knowing that they were introducing a pair of new progression servers, and while they have never done 2 at once that I can remember, they have brought multiple progression servers on line over the last several years, and the HORRENDOUS performance of the first couple of weeks, which she, as someone who has been around Everquest for a while, and was the #2 person in the building the last progression server, should have known that there needed to be more and better prep, but just like always, EQ humped the bunk, and has done so on each advancement of the progressions. THAT shows out of touch. Some would also say a bit of clinical insanity. You know, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. So I call 'em as I see 'em. Her leader ship as been no better, and I would venture to say worse that others.

And in the end, she is in the center seat, it is her responsibility to look out for these kind of repeat errors and avoid them. She knew the rocks were there, and instead of trying a different tack to get around them, she drove the ship right over them, just like she had seen done before, and lo and behold, got the same bad results.

And while many, particularly the younger generation would say rude, I call it honest. Sorry if that is an issue, but honesty is still the best policy.

If is was not, then why would they have done all the work to release new expansions on both games, get pre-orders, and then let people know "Hey we are selling the game to the highest bidder!" and give no details as to whether or not the commitments will be honored. For all we know, Dec 8 and 15 then new expansions will drop, and Dec 31, the games will be shut down.
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

This guy's post history is nothing but complaints and name calling. I'd suggest just leaving him alone rather than engaging. He's also hilariously uninformed - he thinks they've never done 2 TLP servers at once before, and apparently thinks Aradune/Rizlona are not wildly successful. Move along.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The door is that way. :rolleyes:
    Gyurika Godofwar, Skuz and OldCa61 like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I look forward to the new trade skill to be introduced in the next expansion: IKEA Assembly.
  9. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Sooo, when do we get to buy a lifetime sub? :)
    xmPradah and PathToEternity like this.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Thanks for the note, JChan!

Ignore the dissenter. Unhappy people want to make more unhappy people.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Jordis and Cazmac like this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

I know I'm shaking in anticipation. Pass the popcorn please.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Billa Apprentice

Okay, I'm curious as to how EQ being sold off effects my All Access Membership. Any clarification on this?
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a great example of a lot of words that contain little if any real substance.

Jchan wrote a fairly detailed treatise covering a huge raft of issues including those you speak of already & clearly most of them were due to things that were simply not possible to forsee & it would appear you either ignored it or simply could not be bothered to read it I will link it for you:

>>>> CLICK HERE <<<

Please, go read that & come back when you are better informed.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Jordis and Kinoc like this.
  15. Mysl Augur

o_O on some of the response.

Back on track, does this have any impact of our subscription?
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

And a new tinfoil hat to boot.
  17. Ribu New Member

weell i havent played my most beloved game for years now ...why? ... people cant do epic 3s... well and other issues... now 300million ... i thought im gonna buy eq when i get rich and make it the best game again with enthusiasts (not business enthisiasts) working on it so i can love it again... now spending halfa billion (how many players are on subscription again??) would be a litte over budget so i HOPE sweden makes eq
  18. Ribu New Member

...sweden makes EQ g r e a t again:p
    Cazmac and Nennius like this.
  19. Ribu New Member

Why are all these American companies selling off to Europe, China, and Russia. Have some backbone this is a disgrace.

sony was japanese?
    Fuzzlump, Skuz and Nennius like this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Americans want a quick buck.
    Cazmac likes this.