Celebrating Frostfell with Sales and a bonus!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I like the idea of an exp bonus but don't expect it. Rather have it at a non holiday time... Christmas stuff... then new years then 2 days recovering from new years...... :)
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

A sale is a problem? Dude you have issues. They aren't throwing anything down our throats. Don't want to buy something don't buy it. And you claim it is insulting? Get over it dude. Offering things at a discount is not an insult and to claim something like that is just rediculous.

Seriously. So you want exp bonus that's fine the rest is just foolishness.
    Tucoh, PCSS, Xyroff-cazic. and 2 others like this.
  3. Arog Augur

Another lifetime membership sale?
    Saer-tse-tao likes this.
  4. Geeii New Member

I don't mean to be picking on you, because a lot of other people expressed the same or similar opinions, but... seriously?

Every sale, no matter how it is branded is to make a company money, that is NOT a bad thing, that is business. But, ALSO, ANY discount is better than NO discount. As someone else mentioned -> don't like it? don't buy it. That is the best feedback you can give, they will reevaluate for next time, and determine a decent modicum of balance, its a moving target.

Also, the XP bonus is still just a bonus.

This mentality:
    is applicable if you are getting a bonus or not.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I'd prefer the $79.99 for one year subscription sale they had a few years ago. (I didn't know it at the time but you could buy multiple subs for the same account).

The $300+ price point for lifetime sub is still a gamble imo. Daybreak just shut down Planetside Arena.
    PCSS and Saer-tse-tao like this.
  6. Bobokin Augur

I agree, and I disagree.

This is a sale, and that is good. It does have some extra drops mixed in too. This is the sale we didn't get around the 4th of July. The 20% off sale would have been fine then (it isn't a 30% off sale - we are not stupid), but I waited months for this sale, and I was hoping for the 40% (10% regular plus 30% off).

Instead of going all in on a larger sale, I may pick up a couple small items and let it be. People don't wait in line for door busters that are really not much better than the everyday sale; do they?
    PCSS likes this.
  7. Bobokin Augur

Any discount is better true, but re-evaluation? So we have to wait 12 months? Really?

Do you wait 12 months if one store doesn't have the paint you want on sale, and there are more paint stores just across the street? Everquest is literally not the only game in town, and not having the "right" sale means taking my money across the street. It is all about opportunity costs.
  8. Bobokin Augur

I don't recall it being about $300 for a lifetime sub, but is was ($299.99).

Yes, it is a gamble. It would have been great if they had used the money to get EQ3 off the ground. It is pretty sad that we have all of these unchained revamps, and Everquest is just doing TLP servers.
  9. dreamweaver Community Manager

Rare drops should have read rare spawns, apologies! I'll update.
    PCSS, Saer-tse-tao and OldCa61 like this.
  10. Bobokin Augur

Hmm, well ... you could do both. It is a wonderful time of the year, after all.
    PCSS likes this.
  11. dreamweaver Community Manager

At the moment it is only spawns.
    Saer-tse-tao likes this.
  12. Herf Augur

Give me an X! Give me P! Give us a Bonus. What does that spell? XP Bonus! ;)
    What does that spell? XP Bonus!

/ref Woodstock.
    OldCa61 likes this.
  13. Arog Augur

I agree that life time membership is a gamble. It's a gamble that the game will last at least another three years before they shut it down. It's also a way for me to support the game I love. Unfortunately, real life keeps me to busy to play everquest. When I do have time to play, i want it to still be there for me. I go months sometimes without logging in and when I do it's for just a few hours as a casual player. A membership just didn't make sense for my play style. The lifetime membership does though. It's also a gamble for Daybreak. The lifetime membership was an excellent market strategy for players like myself. It was a way to capture revenue that would otherwise be lost. It's a gamble that more players like myself will spend money on the game that otherwise would not. It's a way for them to gain more revenue from players who only get a monthly subscription a couple months out of the year. It is definitely a small sector of revenue but an increase in revenue none the less. If they offer the limited number of memberships again this year I will definitely buy a second one so I can have my son play with me on the TLP servers.
  14. Yallgottadobetter New Member

LOL requiring me to spend money on pots to get higher xp is shoving something down my throat when they could be helping out considerably more during, even a small window of time. That would provide incentive to actually buy into your silly little sale.
    Well DUH, but when everything is camped on a prog server, that make it more difficult or time consuming when there are specific things that I'm trying to do as well or having to go out and find a non camped area. It is what it is. But when they put that XP up, people go nuts and there are groups everywhere, making it a LOT easier for me to actually get something done.

But who cares, like everyone is pointing out, this game is a total gamble at this point =) I think I'm going to take the free99 route, it seems like a better option for me ; )
    Herf likes this.
  15. Dragonazz New Member

This is a TERRIBLE event, GREED GREED GREED, this event should be called Christmas bonus for Daybreak, nothing good for players just trying to make money for daybreak.....GARBAGE
    PCSS and Herf like this.
  16. Enione New Member

I'll chime in and say I was looking forward to seeing lifetime subs being offered. I delayed getting it last year and decided I would get one if it came back this year.
    Saer-tse-tao likes this.
  17. Almathy New Member

An EXP bonus before new expansion launches would make a great gift for Christmas! /Make a wish....
  18. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Well, I for one will be canceling all 40 of my accounts if DBG won't give me more free stuff!
  19. German Augur

Lifetime subs were more than likely a bad business decision that provided short term cash flow When it was really needed, but down the road will not provide anymore and is similar to companies that sell buildings and rent them from the new owners. Just a way to solve short term issues.

While they are great for people who want them, its not going to keep the game going longer if they keep doing it. Of course micro transactions that happen more could offset it. I didn’t get any because you never know if life throws a curveball that prevents you from using it fully.

The software industry has been switching to a rental model for a while now and its increasing their revenue.

Only DBG knows if it helped them or hurt them but I recall one Dev making a comment that seemed like they kind of didn’t like them now.
  20. Numiko Augur

Bad business decision was when they had that 3 for 1 station cash sale soon followed by a half price membership sale (you could use your station cash to pay for time back then).. think i ended up with about 3 years of pretty well free Everquest out of that one.