Selo and Mangler Progression Servers - Coming March 16, 2019!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dracore New Member

Not to pile on, but add me to the list of not liking the fast unlocks on Selo. Maybe calling it "casual" was the main mistake. Personally as a casual user there's zero chance of leveling a character to expansion cap in 1 month, let alone a side alt or two.

I don't disagree with the concept, I'm sure many people would love the idea of a "fast track cap, experience every expansion with the crowd" quick server. But it's not casual.
    Evade, Barton and Nalear like this.
  2. Sethiroth Augur

This is NOT how an “ULTRA CASUAL” server should be run. The fact that you want it because you would like to raid every night is a perfect example of how wrong this server is.

And the parents who don’t have time for the 1 month locks are exactly the people to be asking about the pace of an “ULTRA CASUAL” server.

Or would you prefer, they ask the raiders about how the “ULTRA CASUAL” server is ran and ask the casuals how to run the hardcore server hmmm?
    Nalear and Jedipokey like this.
  3. Risiko Augur

Thank you.
  4. Beardsy Elder

Play at your own pace. Form your own group of casuals, play together and you'll have a ton of fun.

80% of EQ's player base is not casual. We like to grind through content and not be bored by unbearable 3 month timers on the first 3 boring expansions.
  5. Liliun New Member

My two cents...not everyone is going to get their cake, but it does seem there is some consensus on some points, or perhaps as close as you are going to get to it. I'm flexible on several points, but a few things that are pretty important:

Maybe not 6 month unlocks, but maybe 16 week rather than 12 week. I have always played in a casual way, and have never once had my character to max level for the next unlock. IMO a casual server should be for folks who want a slower, casual experience.

Start from original. This is probably the most important for me. Why? I don't know exactly, other than I really want to do it from original.

Truebox. Maybe make a third TLP that isn't truebox and give the multi-boxers whatever else they want. I get that for some that is how they enjoy experiencing the game, but folks need to keep in mind that bot armies are disruptive to others' game experience. Most folks go out of their way to NOT be disruptive, but it just isn't possible 100% of the time.

Most everything else is whatever to me. If you make it super fast xp, okay. If you want it slower, okay, just give me time.

The hardcore, I have no intention of doing hardcore, but maybe make it like someone else was suggesting, like starting at later content, leaderboards, some guild competitions or something that really gives those competitive folks a fun server with some incentives to continue progressing with it over time.
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
  6. Sethiroth Augur

It’s supposed to be a casual server for casual players, not a race to end game. Here’s an idea, put the hardcore rule sets and unlocks on the hardcore server, and the people who want to do that can go smash through the expansions to their hearts content. Give the casual players a chance to stay grouped, and catch up and play while it’s still relevant, that’s supposed to be the whole point of a casual server.
  7. pacati New Member

Thank you for doing something different this time. Coirnav was a mystery. Mangler had me at "no focus effects until Luclin".
  8. Alask New Member

Where did you get this number. Oh never mind you made it up :) cause you have nothing to back it up.
    Barton likes this.
  9. Kattnez New Member

Very disappointed. Keep creating servers when you can not keep the ones you have populated. Also promises that will probably never be carried out. Brekt (free trade) was also suppose to be event server thus having new people if they wanted to stay on that server they could. After moving my toon, not a single event that brought people to the server just more and more servers were added. Could at least offer a one time transfer were we could transfer a toon or two to another server because you promised something that never happened. Epic Fail DBG
    TheOrginalSlaade likes this.
  10. Mexar New Member

Never posted before but this makes me really sad... I was excited to re-sub for a casual ruleset server!
    These are not it.
    What I would like to see and feel free to comment, is a server that starts in Luclin (For at least somewhat ease of travel), somewhat equivalent XP to Agnarr (Definitely faster than Coirnav, not quite live xp rates), and 4 month xpac release schedule (Stuff like LoY, LDoN can be bundled in with either a previous or the next big xpac). The faster xp would mean less play time could accomplish more, less time spent farming plat or travelling means more time xp'ing, and 4 month unlocks means you could actually do quests other than just blasting through progression stuff.
    Just a long time humble players opinion.
    Oh, and truebox is GREAT! Mandatory imo... If you wanna box 3+ you need to suffer lol
    internalprime8, Kattnez and Jedipokey like this.
  11. The_Phoenix Journeyman

“Rares are more likely to spawn,“ - Regarding Selos Server.

Perhaps I’m wrong, but was there not a dev post a year or so ago, when they increased all rare spawns for a holiday bonus, stating that due to the way the spawning of named was coded in earlier expansions that it wasn’t possible to increase their spawn rates? I seem to remember this being a disappointment on phinny, which was in one of the early expansions at the time.

Is this still the case? Or has it been remedied/ I’m wrong?
  12. enclee Augur

Looks like Selos is going to be the server that attracts the hardcore crowd. Why would you even think of making server rules like this? You already know player behavior is to take the path of least resistance with the most rewards. I just don’t get the purpose of a hardcore server, it’s not even a true in-era experience because it has all the updated code for spells, melee, etc.
  13. Roxxlyy Augur

Just a very small update - there's still a lot of feedback coming in, and we're doing our best to filter and assess it. With that in mind, we won't have any major updates to share before the weekend, though we encourage everyone to continue their discussions here on the forums.
  14. Elskidor Augur

Thanks for the heads up!
  15. Big_Astos Journeyman

Thanks Roxxlyy. You're much better than Roshen was. Appreciate the update.
    TheOrginalSlaade likes this.
  16. skugg New Member

I don't typically respond on the forums, but since the devs are taking note of the conversation I will put in my unsolicited opinion. I was really excited for the super casual server. I personally would like an 8 week release schedule. I know you want to speed up the release more so than 3 or 6 months and that is alright with me but dang 1 month is too short for us casuals. I would also like the FV ruleset if that is possible. I never played on FV but i really like the idea of its loot rules. Just my 2 cp.
    Barton and TheOrginalSlaade like this.
  17. TheOrginalSlaade New Member

Like the majority of others have replied, Selos sounds appealing minus the quick expansion releases. Free trade would seem in line with a Casual Play server as well (or significantly increased spawn and drops rates). More importantly, I have level 3 level 100+ toons on a dying/dead server. I would like to get some use out of the last 2 expansions soooo, what does DBG have in mind to reward long time players on the 20th anniversary that aren't interested in new progression servers? Another useless familiar? A few quests for useless trinkets? Throw us a bone for goodness sake! Would you please?
    Kattnez and Barton like this.
  18. Nalear New Member

Never posted before but want to chime in while it might matter. I have nothing new to say really but do want to voice my opinion. I was super excited about a casual server and this announcement was very disappointing to me. I get that some like boxing and raiding all the time on a fast track. To me that is not casual. Give them a server for that if they need it although it seems to me that already exists. To me a casual server has long unlocks, 12 weeks minimum and preferable more. High XP, Agnarr or better. Would also like to see the FV type loot rules but that is not as important to me. Starting in Luclin is ok with me but I'm also fine starting in Classic or anything between those. I work a lot and have plenty of family obligations. I can't play all the time. Casual to me means letting me enjoy the full content on multiple alts and the above rules give me that.
  19. Mashef Augur

Yep, Selos seems great minus the 1 month. Scared off all non-current subs who aren't visiting these forums. Mangler is a flop. Awesome idea to get rid of the drudge that is the first 9 months of Classic-Velious that has been every TLP since Combine/Sleeper. Seems to be a hit in a number of discords.

Just the subsequent 1 month lockouts isn't enough time to even enjoy doing anything expansions. All about powering through up to POP but then you just need time to gear and do some questing/AAing without raiding 7 days a week.
  20. FxMercenary New Member

Hi Roxxlyy! I was a player and a guide back in the old days of EverQuest! My wife and my old roommate have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new progression servers to make a return to EverQuest!

With that being said, I am tending to agree with others regarding the formats of the two new servers. If anything, we will be playing on Mangler, as our fondest memories were of the original EQ, Kunark and Velious. That being said, the biggest issue we have is with experience. I have no problem with losing experience if we die in-came, that is a given, however I do believe that the slowed leveling could be countered with encouraging grouping. For instance, if you are in a 5-man or full group, I think that should eliminate the experience handicap!

Also, I think that expansions should be released every 4 or 6 months, depending on the amount of content in that expansion. For example, Kunark should launch 3 or 4 months in, and no Velious for 6 months. This will give people plenty of time to not only acquire their Epic 1.0 weapons, but also give them time to use them, and of course they are still quite useful in Velious and Luclin. Kunark offers a ton of content, as does Velious!

I think that Mangler is on point for being the go-to server, but again, I think that there needs to be a huge incentive for grouping on this server!

The rapid level and launch server I believe will attract the hardcore players who want to hit level 60 in a week or 2, but for me, working full time and with family obligations, I would love to be able to put in 10-12 hours a week on Mangler, and hit level 50 and do a month or 2 of raiding before the release of Kunark!

What confuses me about Selos is that Coirnav is currently where Selos will be launching, so minus the bonus experience and faster expansions, Coirnav seems more attractive.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.