Windows XP and Vista Support

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RadarX, May 2, 2017.

1. RadarX Augur

In 2015, EverQuest updated its minimum system requirements to an operating system of Windows 7 or higher. Some of you have been playing the game for a significant amount of time using Windows XP or Windows Vista and over the years, we have done our best to provide continued support for these two platforms.

Recently a security update to our Launchpad for all products unexpectedly resulted in Windows XP and Vista users no longer being able to update their games. We reviewed if potential fixes were possible, but as these two operating systems are no longer supported by the manufacturer and incompatible with our more current systems we are unfortunately unable to continue this support.

It was never our intention to discontinue use of these operating systems without notice and we do apologize for inconvenience this has caused those impacted. We thank everyone for their continued support and all the feedback we’ve received around this topic.
  2. Godlike1 New Member

thank you for the response...bye eq it was a good run
    toodlem likes this.
  3. nantalbus Elder

radarx while this didn't effect me. Just to clear it up. If I read what you are saying is the launchpad is not really part of the game but a stand alone program(using different skins for each game) used by all the games that just gets updates and then puts you into whatever game you are playing. And while the game will still run on the older systems, the update to the launchpad makes it need some windows item that is only in windows 7 and higher OS.

Is this correct?
  4. Bigfan Augur

5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Appreciate the update even though it is not what everyone wanted to hear.
  6. J'bone Journeyman

Why did this have to happen in the middle of anniversary quests? Grrrr. And why didn't I see any Daybreak logos during the live shots of the H1Z1 contest on TV? DERP! And Why didn't I upgrade two years ago? ugh. double on me I guess. Well at least vinyl records are becoming popular again. I'll have to sell some of my stash. btw, What's the percentage fee for a juice collector?
  7. fransisco Augur

This is good news.
    Now dev time won't be spent supporting 15 year old versions of windows.
    Metanis and Toruch Fleshrot like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

They already were "not" spending time trying to support old versions of windows. This fact finally caught up with those with older systems recently though. All my systems run windows 10 but I do feel bad for those being forced to change regardless that Daybreak announced 2 years ago their minimum specs changed.

I don't think we have any thing to celebrate about this to be honest. While I don't blame Daybreak in any way for this I feel bad some people have to suddenly upgrade their OS. But I also think those who didn't upgrade and are blaming Daybreak no case for that whatsoever.
  9. nantalbus Elder

the ones I feel bad for are the ones who can't afford the newer system that can handle the 7+. I know how it feels to live paycheck to paycheck and not barley have enough to maybe have $20 each paycheck after bills and stuff.
    Makta likes this.
  10. Filter Augur

Thank you for the update Radarx. This is not what I wanted to hear but I completely understand DBG's stance here even though I don't like it. There goes one account down for me!
  11. jeskola pheerie

I don't think that is a thing:
    If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    • DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.
  12. fransisco Augur

13. Nennius Curmudgeon

If you literally do not have any extra cash to spend this will not help you. But, this system would run EQ and is very cheap.

Usual disclaimers: I do not work for this company…blah, blah blah

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Prod...B-83-159-995&gclid=CI2pne6s1NMCFViRfgodZrIDLQ

There are other deals out there too.

P.S. With four kids, a mortgage, student loans, a kid in college, etc. I do not have tons of spare cash. Point is that if you want something badly enough, you will usually find a way.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

15. Janakin Augur

The game still runs fine on the older OS but the launcher/patcher will not.

Everquest is unique in that it really does not need to be "installed" like many windows applications. The latest DirectX 9.0C is basically all that needs to be installed. I have a flash drive with Everquest on it that I can move from system to system and do not have any issues with. Technically people with older OS could just launch it on a newer system (at work or a friends) and let it patch the files then swap the flash drive to an older OS and run game via the patchme bypass.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Metanis like this.
  16. nantalbus Elder

I wouldn't count on that much longer though. They keep us at dx9 because anything higher won't work on the older OS. With this there is nothing to stop them from updating to the newest dx and other graphic and hardware. Once that happens even bypassing the launcher will not work.
  17. Gialana Augur

Or they should be able to reuse their current monitor. Heck, I'm still using a CRT I bought about 15 years ago.

But are you certain the computer you linked will actually run EverQuest? My desktop is probably a little more modern than that one, and it runs EQ great under Vista. But I haven't been able to get the lag low enough under Windows 10 to call EQ playable. It is possible I'm missing some setting, though.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Running a second account on a very similar machine. Had to play with the settings and it does lag some in some locations. But, it is still playable.
    Gialana likes this.
  19. Janakin Augur

Yes that would cause the older OS to not play the game any longer. It would be nice to move past dx9 but I am doubtful that would happen without a major code overhaul.

I just upgraded my 3rd box to Win8.1 for $120 even though I could have kept copying files to it. Regular launcher is much easier than the work-around :)
  20. Drcoracle Journeyman

WOW! This thread is still open? Who would of thunk it.