Speculation - new Darkpaw game?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Skuz, Jul 4, 2023.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

2. yaynorrath New Member

Part of that job description (core pillars) are exactly something Jenn Chan mentioned in an Everquest Show episode few months ago, and considering 2024 is da big year/milestone for the franchise...I'd say it's highly likely related :)
    Skuz and Hobitses like this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

This part is interesting, if they can pull it off. New content continuously generated would be great.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You misunderstand me, I'm not blaming them for EQNext failing, I'm blaming EQ Next for taking away EQs experienced coders and devs, who didn't return to working on EQ when EQNext failed.
    Barton, Kaenneth, Koshk and 4 others like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

AI in control?
  6. Brontus EQ Player Activist

It sure looks like EverQuest 3 to me. The EverQuest Show dude mentioned on his last YouTube video that a big announcement was being planned for later this year from Darkpaw.
    Hobitses and Skuz like this.
  7. Strawberry Augur

So they can make expansions for the handful of raid guilds that are left? EQ is a dwindling game, TLP is barely keeping it above water.

EQ is an important IP. A new game is long overdue.

Daybreak should look at Nintendo, they leveraged their IP to become the best selling developer in history.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think both TLP and Live are doing fine. When we stop getting yearly expansions then I might be concerned.

The Everquest IP is mostly known to older gamers and most likely is not on the radar of most young gamers these days so the value of the IP for a new game is probably not that strong. Not sure the majority of gamers out there will get excited if they hear of a new Everquest game.

The only folks who would be excited about a new EQ game are the existing players so they would be cannibalizing that player base. Any new game has to draw in folks exclusive of being an Everquest IP in my opinion (and its just my opinion because I have no data to reach a conclusion).

And lastly EQ2 has a smaller player base then EQ as far as I know. And we all know what happened to EQ Next. Any new game may be better off not trying to be an EQ game but thats just my opinion.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Making games is very expensive there's noway thats gonna happen and even if it did will be like eq2 with people from eq1 just staying. Btw how good was eq2? oh yea haha lol
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

From my own reading on various gaming websites there are a large number of "former EQ players" who would flock back for a new game in the Franchise over returning to the existing games.

I think you may be underestimating just how far EQ's reach goes & the appetite for a brand new game in the same universe, provided it does things well.

Also, Procedurally generated content, if that does happen to be the direction they take the new game certainly could be one way to offer a "changing world" without the pathing technology problems the destructible Voxel-based engine of EQ NEXT ran up against. Any new MMO from a studio like Darkpaw probably does need a Unique Selling point like a Prodedurally generated world could create, something none of the existing competition has.

I think Darkpaw is very serious, the following is probably connected to gaining fresh investment since those events are typically where companies will invite potential as well as existing investors to a presentation with a hope to increase investor stakes & invite fresh stakeholders to buy in to the company's future growth potential.

https://www.enadglobal7.com/mfn_new...l-7-capital-markets-day-on-september-20-2023/
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Quite right.

Not pinning my hopes to this one. EG7 is a huge conglomerate. Capital investment could be going to anywhere - specific IP to more acquisition to daily operations to funding new ventures.

I am hoping this all points to a new EverQuest game. Hell, I am wishing for it. But I've been let down so many times it's tough to believe it will ever happen.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Just got off the phone with Dzarn, they are moving to EQ1 and fully open sourcing the eq client and server.
    FYAD likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

:)
  14. FYAD Augur

If they are indeed looking to release a new title with proc-gen as a core component, I'm rather skeptical of it's potential. From what I've seen of the gaming industry that has gone the proc-gen route, the results that the proc-gen engine spits out usually end up being rather bland variations on the same theme. Sure, it can make a dynamic dungeon map each time you go in, but it usually looks and feels just like the last time you cleared the dungeon, except this time the boss was behind the 2nd door on the right instead of the 3rd door on the left.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Welcome to the future. :)
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Been thinking about this the last few days, I think I'm ready for a new Everquest.

I don't like the way EQ has been going recently and how much is currently broken, quests broken for years, name spanws not fixed since they broke them months ago, making content harder for those coming through later doing the same content.

They don't seem to care about the players anymore and leave us with broken content and for some an unplayable game since they messed up the UI.

SO yeah, bring on EQ 3, it can't be any worse than what we have currently.
  17. Svann2 The Magnificent

What games are you talking about that have it already?
    edit: I hope you arent referring to ff14. That was the most ridiculous implementation you could imagine. Its like they stopped trying on day 2.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

Oh ye of little imagination. EQ isn't broke. It is a bit bent in spots.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

EQ is just tired. It gets up in December and then is pooped out by March.
  20. error Augur

EverQuest? Procedural generation? Maybe it's a Champions of Norrath reboot :D