Why doesn’t HL have a pet

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dark Soldier, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

These new metal 2 rewards are awesome! But makes me raise the question as to why HL and other troll powers dont each have a pet in their kit

While im not sure what HL would summon i could easily think of a pet for the other controllers
    Quantum- a paradox add
    Munitions- something that looks very similar to the gadgets pet ( green doesnt match gadgets)
    Mental- a purple specter ghost thing
    Gadgets- maybe recolor a skeets trinket
  2. Chia Death Well-Known Player

Just be glad instead of a joke of a pet like swarm you get another power that actually might be useful. Pets are only good if the pet itself is good, and past level 30 many are not.
    • Like x 2
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Casual summonings don't match up with Lantern lore. That's why HL doesn't have pets.
    • Like x 1
  4. FoolsFire Devoted Player

Fire doesn't have one either. And one of the new Artifacts coming out are specifically made for allowing pets to give extra damage.
  5. 666GODZ666 Active Player

keep in mind that the constructs hard light uses create are an extension of themselves and their ring. it really doesn't make much sense for a HL user to have a constant pet summoned through such means. they would effectively be leashed/tethered to your finger/hand. such a sidekick companion for a HL user doesn't make much sense in my mind.

i suppose the tether could be long enough and while summoned the game could switch you to some kind of brawler fighting mode. the pet would be auto, or maybe can issue commands. it could change your fight style like how Nature does form changes. the form change should probably have a constant drain on power, because constructs require ring energy to maintain.

better than a pet, have the form change engulf you. well, either way... none of these would be an efficient use of an actual Hard Light users ring energy. they would drain their ring rather quickly i imagine.

however, i could see one-off constructs of an animal or something being cool too.

well, with that said... if people want pets enough, they could implement something that lets players accept a quest to eventually somehow befriend some kind of creature. this wouldn't just be for HL users, though. but it could be cool. also, i think there are items that already summon certain kind of pets to some degree. i have an old Hatching Tide item.
  6. Black Jaq Devoted Player

The Sinestro Corps seemed more inclined to have pet constructs (Karu-Sil) and we got that a little with Amon Sur legends. But there would have to be a Green equivalent and I doubt DCUO could take very few liberties when they were developing the power for players.
  7. Trexlight Devoted Player

Hard Light isnt a Pet based power, its Combo based. Thats why it doesnt have a pet. If it wants one, Robot Sidekick fits the bill.
    • Like x 1
  8. Balton hero Committed Player

Because of this: [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. inferno Loyal Player

Sorry but remember that Hard Light powers are not restricted to Green, yellow or red. There is also the Orange Light, whose powers actually manifests themselves as constructs. They are not tethered to the summoner's rings. In fact, one of the most horrifying aspects of fighting Larfleeze is that he seems to create constructs of past Lanterns that fought him and they seem to have personalities of their own enslaved to Larfleeze's own will.

Plus, HL powerset's uniqueness in dcuo is chaining combos not pet-based.

Although, I do wish that the pet of the grimorium artifact, technically a permanent pet affected by the new artifact, could be altered with a skin (purchaseable in the market) that could tie it to the powerset of our toons.
  10. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

While I do not think it is a necessity I see no reason why a GL could not have a pet. Let's take a look at the animated TV show for inspiration.

[IMG]

Now I do not recall any "rule" that says a "pet" can not be a sidekick.. HEY they are referred to as such. So why not a "pet" like this.? Basically another GL summoned to assist .. and let's make it a cute one . :D

or maybe like this??

Could get more interesting for the Yellow or Red Lanterns... Don't recall anything remotedly cute in the Synestro Corp but ther were plenty of creepy, crawly things hanging out with the red Lanterns
    [IMG]
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

OR... we could just leave well enough alone LOL
    • Like x 1
  12. Mazahs Loyal Player

Technically the Orange constructs are souls.
    Ch'p os a full fledged Corp member responsible for his own sector of the galaxy. He's in now way a pet.

Anywho, Lantern powers are combo powers. There is a pet class, if you want pets you can either use RSK, bat drone, lexcorp etc...
    • Like x 1
  13. majosea Dedicated Player

ok , give all power a pet, but don't make pets the only play style , don't over power pets , to where the game is where is your pet and if you are not playing that style , sorry i have to kick you from group .
    I am ok , with a pet idea as long as there is balance , fire pet

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  14. BUDOKAI101 Committed Player

I think ranked pets will be a system introduced abit later down the road. when all roles and weapons are where they want them to be. As it stands now there is to much combat clutter. To many npcs pets fighting and sidekicks henchmen and what not. It all seem great but not so much when u can't move or get koed because an npc was in ur way
  15. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You fantasize...and there's been no indication whatsoever that this game is going that way. Stop trying to make it a thing. It's not going to happen.
    [IMG]
  16. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Hey now, let's not get greedy. Seems like HL are getting all the love these days.... orbital strikes, henchmen, aura, gear, trinket pet...not to mention the Winter Seasonal was all about HL base items. When was the last time they showed other powers like Earth or Ice this much love?
  17. kingmasternova Loyal Player

HL & Rage could have a pet that are constr like at the old level up mission where you help the noobs with there constr
  18. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

okay so originally I was not even going to bother responding but what the heck lets...

first of all do you READ other people's posts before you respond? Because if you did you MIGHT have noticed I said the "PET" for a GL would not truly be a pet but a side kick .. A GL helping out away from his or her own assigned sector of space. Does that ever happen? Hmm let us think...

On the Animated TV show I seem to recall Hal and Kilowog spending months together on a slightly stolen space ship while they battled the red Lanterns and neither was any where near their own sector of space.

Also seems to me there have been a few times where we had more than just one GL on Earth..

Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner, John Stewart and hey let us not forget Jessica Cruz. Now not all of them was assigned to Earth at the same time in fact on the Animated TV show Gardner took over Hal's Sector when Hal was promoted and became an honor guard member BUT there were plenty of times when more thann one Green Lantern was running around the planet at the same time.

and finally as mentioned right after my first port I posted again and said I also saw no reason not to just leave things exactly the way they are. I think YOU are getting too hung up on the term "PET". Yes technically if you summon it from your attack loadout it is considered a pet but using just a small amount of imagination that could be viewed, in the case of a GREEN, RED, or YELLOW lantern as your character calling for help/support and a Lantern from another sector responding... bbut then gee that never happens. Oh wait yes it does ALL THE TIME LOL:p
  19. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

Because we dont want a pet. 3 years ago everybody was complaining about pets and now everyone wants a pet. Smh
  20. Balton hero Committed Player

Fairly certain most of us either skip over or skim through your posts because they're all tldr.
    • Like x 1