Whats the best Controller/DPS power?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by TheKillerKlown, Jul 28, 2014.

1. TheKillerKlown New Player

I already have a rage DPS, i didnt bother tanking with that toon. and the constructs are cool and all. but I noticed a NEED for con/heal when its 7dps and 1hlr in a raid. the que time becomes pointless. I'm a lengendary member, and I know i'll have to get both sets. anyways to my ORIGINAL question..

What is the best Controller power that also does great DMG in the DPS role?
    ALSO
    Whats the best weapon?. i prefer HB 1H MA.
    Whats the best movement? I prefer the speed.
  2. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Their all fairly well balanced against each other. Each has something that the others don't power wise but post GU 36 their speed is in the same range. They each use the same formula's for giving back power to teammates and yourself. They each use dominance the same way. They each have a similar number of debuffs.

The main difference's are range of attacks and CC size. The one's with a smaller CC size can tend to do more damage but that really depends on the player. Each are good.

Common weapons pre WM we're HB, MA, Bow, Rifle, DP. Post WM HB, DW, BR, TH are very common.

Movement depends on the player. SS has the most power giving benefit due to Speed Drain and the foot mod(HT). Flight has a multi target pull, while acro can allow the player to escape and can be the fastest.

Here's some info on the powers themselves.

Mental

Pros - Most Full Range large group CC. The only transmutation power in game(horrific visage). Every tool a troller needs and from full range.

Cons - Least efficient form of CC in Terror Tree(Panic). Also no pull in the power tree's.

Quantum

Pros - Mix bag of melee - full range large group CC. Only teleport in game. Has a stun that is so strong(possibly broken) that not even the tanks pull will work once an add is stunned(could also be viewed as a con depending on situation and how its used).

Cons - See above about stun. Smaller CC size from PoT.

Gadgets

Pros - Very versatile, pets, stealth, multiple interactions, lots of shields. The only pet power return SC in game. Also can out power the others while being 15% cheaper to cast(Can if lives long enough).

Cons - Smallest size CC of controller powers. It's pull is a PoT so you'll likely need another to use frequently if wanted.

Light

Pros - The combo system. If used with BR or TH can be extremely fast for weapon regen without using your weapon.

Cons - Light is a glass cannon. Only 1 shield. PI system has 2 applicators in the tree that most trollers would spec less into. They also overwrite the others DoT so if in group with another Light player its best not to use them. Debuff powers can be tricky either have to be up close or their channel beams.

That should give you some idea of which you'd like better. I know you we're looking for more of a straight answer but damage wise if played to the strength of the set each can stand up to the other for the most part. Damage wise speaking Gadgets and Light are more likely to be easier to get decent damage with. Mental and Quantum can be good too though.
    • Like x 1
  3. Delta795 New Player

Take your pick:

Mental / Gadget / HL / Quantum for power
    Flight / Superspeed / Acro for movement
    WM for weapon.

Anyone of these can and will excel at both damage and troller
    • Like x 3
  4. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Yup...

Pick what you want, all powers are now being balanced....Most are closer now in DPS thanks in large part to WM...

As for the support role, each has it Pro's and Con's...

Using HL as an example; one con was the lack of range Power Over Time; Update 38 resolved this issue. Developers are working hard to balance powers out for both DPS and support roles...

Of the four Controller roles my prefence is as followed: Quantum, HL, Gadget and finally Mental

I would place gadget second, but the lack of a group SC shield that provides power was why it was placed in third; as for Mental being last place, it is due to the color effect - I'm not into pink - sorry developers....
  5. FameYack Committed Player

I'd say pick up either HL, Quantum, Gadgets or Mental, can think of a better troll power than those ATM... :cool:

As for DPS, Rage is pretty cool but you also have Celestial and Nature, how could you not pick up Ice or Fire, pay attention to Electricity since it has AM or Sorcery because it's pretty cool, Earth kick hard as well

Also, the troll powers i suggested earlier have solid DPS potential

... I'm Batman so i guess you know my choice :cool:

As for weapon pick up anyone who has WM, they Rule!!!

If i wanted high regen i would chose BW
    But Batman is MA

I'm not Sup so i don't fly... unless i want to.
    I ain't no Speedster, that's Flash

I wouldn't recommend Acro unless you want to pick it yourself

I've fought a Captain a few times, nice buddy, his shield was awesome but it was made of adamantium which doesn't exist in my reality
    No idea how some people can have a shield and use two pistols at the same times, one would think it needs Three Hands but they must have the Devils Luck or something

Green Arrow uses Bow but HawkeEye is better,
    No idea why John uses Riffle though, but Two Face stands himself with it
    A Sword is a pretty nice choice, Thalia likes that and i teach Robin use a Staff... I've noticed many Robins are Staffing nowadays
    Iron Man uses Hand Blasters and he can stand on the ground a little bit
    Thor looks cool with his hammer but sometimes having a stick in both hands can be pretty cool
  6. TheKillerKlown New Player

i was thinking this,

power: Quantum (I've liked the abilities I've seen on Youtube)
    weapon: HB weapon master into BOW (possibly Rifle offspec) looking into going ranged.
    movement: Flight. (for range purposes)

plus to add, my rage is MA SS DPS,. So i wanna be more inportant in raids and such. and i want something besides straight Melee.

THANK YOU ALL
    for your comments, and replies. its been very helpful. i stopped playing for about 2 months and so much has changed. I dont even understand league stuff at all and new marks with new dlc pack. and T6 items. LOLz

@MEBegnalsFan
    "Pick what you want, all powers are now being balanced....Most are closer now in DPS thanks in large part to WM..."

i see that they are finally being balenced out.
  7. TheKillerKlown New Player

ALSO one more question...? Has Legends pvp changed at all?
  8. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

What do you mean? If you mean using replay badges to play, yeah...that is no longer required... you just que up and go and play... also there are more legends than when the game first got released; some you get without MC or use of loyalty; where as other require MC / loygalty points.
  9. FameYack Committed Player

People are exploiting: Lex, Circe and Attrocitus
    In general i'd say it is survivable although some will say its overly unbalanced,
    So give it a shot,

Yeah, WM brought up a Change Game,
    You will notice Quantum is fairly easy to handle in Troll Stance,
    Most of the power will CC and you'll get the Best SC of All TROLLS: Event Horizon

HB is a good choice, i have a Quantum myself and i prefer SS, while flight does offer advantages i find it slow,
    have you tried flight before?
    For Regen BW=> MA is pretty quick, ATM (range with low punch and crits though)

Since you are Rage and will change to RANGE you might see your numbers getting down while DPSing but that´s expected

Good Luck,
  10. HazeTA New Player

For both troll and DPS, Mental, that is all.
  11. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Gadgets.. next question?
  12. ZeroMaas New Player

I also took a break and came back and made a quantum controller. Hb saw me through till I earned enough sp for mastery. Been using shuriken storm wm from brawling but shuriken storm stuns have me wondering if I would be better of w another weapon. Power regen w shuriken storm mastery is ridic btw but hb pulse beam I was great till I got the sp for wm. Currently considering one hand for pulse beam wm. Anyone have any thoughts?
  13. TheKillerKlown New Player

On my Rage toon. he's 84 CR so i got the gist of playing the game, as for my question about legends pvp i was mainly asking if its more balanced, i played countless of hours getting legend marks i was constantly gettting the "best" but than the following week the best would be considered the worse, ALSO does anyone know if i can use the legend toons on my new quantum toon. or do i have to switch characters to play legends... :(

before WM i spent so much money constantly respecing and ive used every weapon. Martial Arts and 1 hander was my favorite for melee DPS not to mention with rage combos id get 200-400 hit counter. but you cant really Range dps with Rage most of its combos are melee types. but i'm bored of Rage/melee and just plain dps all together.

I like hand blasters cause they WM with the bow. and its Block counters are ridiculous. it has like 4. and the bow and rifle are my preferred range weapons,
  14. ChaosInternational New Player

I can't speak for the other powesets, only mental.

I found the highest damaging loadouts are the best cc loadouts. I alternate between weapon and power cc's to maximize vulnerabilities in PvP with some heavy dom in troll stance. Whether it's PvE or PvP, you're aiming for residual damage off of your pi's so anything that says "enemies take additional damage" be sure there's an active pi before using whatever attack is relative to said pi.

I prefer acrobat with the HB.
  15. krimzonk Committed Player

Well I am a HL controller/dps and I also played as a Mental controller/dps since launch and to this day I still play with both powers, both awesome. Both are fabulous powers to use, but with weapon mastery not much else really matters. HL as drstrange has said is a glass canon, which at the moment has a near completely broken dps side, with a non-existent awesome mechanic, and issues that the devs refuse to fix (take a look at the HL WIP thread, the HL GU38 Q&A thread in Gotham City and the HL GU38 feedback thread in dev discussions and you'll quickly catch on).

Hard-light

As a HL dps at this moment in time we rely more than 90% of the time on weapon mastery for our damage output. Comboing is a no go as it does paltry damage. The rotation I use is: summon my Iconic Robot, Clip Inspiration (precision buff) with Chompers (applies Dazed PI), then Weapon Mastery combo, clipped with power Grasping Hand > Fan. Rinse and repeat. Not very inventive but as Kaiser007 showed in his HL videos on youtube, its arguably our best set-up to maximize damage from range. You can also do Clip Inspiration (precision buff) with Chompers (applies Dazed PI), then Weapon Mastery combo, clipped with power Snap Trap > Fan. Both very good.

The controlling side of HL is good but needs improvements. The addition of Impact as our ranged PoT has been awesome. Light Blast is our best CC move and stun, very handy. We also have the best shield in the game for our own character in Light Barrier, which protects us from incoming damage and reflects it back and with the Home Turf mod (Regenerative Shielding I think), gives a small chunk of health back when it is used.

Mental

Mental is the most rounded controller powerset for both roles. Really versatile and packs an almighty punch in the right hands. It is THE boss killer powerset. Single target damage is blisteringly good, and its AoE damage is pretty good too. The controller side is flawless. Perfect in my opinion.

Gadgets

Gadgets like mental is brilliant for both roles. For the controller side it has in my opinion the best power giving 35% supercharge in the game in Battle Drone. The trick with this power is to use it when you see your groups power bars around 50%, if done so, their power will hardly drop, as the Battle Drone gives small ticks of power back each second which a huge tick of power just before it disappears.

Quantum

Quantum....well dunno much about this powerset, Its CC abilites are very good in controller role. As a dps it is very hungry on power but in the right hands is good.